LegacyGT.com

DIY cooling fan fix?

Rick

My 05 LGT is out of warranty (37,000 miles). Is there a way to fix this problem without Subaru replacing the ECM? Like maybe removing the fan out of the circuit, and installing your own relay that is energized by the temp sensor? Any thoughts on this, would be appreciated. I don't think I stand this noise this fan makes any longer!

What I am really worried about is that I've done enough to my car to void the warranty, including AP. I can reflash back to stock, but the ecu will throw engine codes as soon as its driven. I really don't want to put all the old parts back on just to take it to the dealership. So I'm just trying to think of a fix I could do myself.

Even so, the car will throw codes as soon as they test it with the new ecu. I guess what I'm saying is I would rather just find a fix on my own instead of reverting my car back to stock. Besides it seems like people who've had their ecu replaced report the problem coming back.

Since the fan fix has nothing to do with the mods done on your car, I'd suggest asking them to do the fix and nothing more. Tell them you'll handle the CELs later - you just want the new relay and replacement ECU.

They don't even need to test-drive it after the swap - just make sure the engine runs.

Even so, the car will throw codes as soon as they test it with the new ecu. I guess what I'm saying is I would rather just find a fix on my own instead of reverting my car back to stock. Besides it seems like people who've had their ecu replaced report the problem coming back.
There's no way you can fix this problem yourself. The only people who reported the problem coming back after ECU replacement were those who didn't also get the re-designed relay replacement.

Luckily, your ECU is covered for 8yrs/80,000mi by the Federal Emissions Extended Defect Warranty. The relay, though, is out of warranty but you can just buy that part and install it yourself, in conjunction with the ECU replacement done at the dealer.

Make sure you un-marry and bring all your ignition keys when you bring it to the dealer.

I was stage II, but they fixed it anyway. Divorved the AP, used the resistor for the uppipe and a mech fix for the o2 on the downpipe.

Jim

• 1 month later...
I was stage II, but they fixed it anyway. Divorved the AP, used the resistor for the uppipe and a mech fix for the o2 on the downpipe.

Jim

Jim, it took over a month for Subaru to recieve my new ecu. So I'm finally taking it in this week. Can you tell me what kind of Mechanical fix you used for the o2 on the downpipe. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone had this issue and taken their car in, with an aftermarket exhaust?

i know they can't say that it caused the situation. and i know they have to prove it, but has anyone been given trouble by a dealer for this kind of thing, given that it's a known issue with the car (TSB)?

I ended up removing the Perrin tmic and flashing the car back to stock a couple blocks away from the dealership at a gas station. I was worried that if it had an engine code showing that would say something about it. What really suprised me was that after picking the car up later that day, I drove it for two more days without reflashing with the cobb stage two program, and never recieved an engine code. Thats driving for two days with a Perrin downpipe, uppipe, and axleback and not getting a code. I wonder if one of the service techs did me a favor and changed something so I wouldn't get a code.

Archived