LegacyGT.com

Bad shaking when braking from highway speeds

I have 98 L wagon and when I'm getting off of the highway, or braking at speed, my car gets a pretty violent shake? What gives? I just have two new axles and brakes done and the shake persists. City driving isn't bad at all but if I'm slowing down from 50 or faster, the ol' wagon shakes like a bitch. Any help would be appreciated.

if it happens while your braking, that would be rotors causing that. Or the brake job in general. Rust develops between the hub and rotor and when you install new rotors you should clean the rust from the hub. Thats one way you can get pulsation. The other would prolly be whoever did the job didn't torque the lug nuts properly. Thats an- important step. Believe it or not, Subaru's lug nut torque should only be 58-72 ft lbs. Im anal about that.

Could also be caused by tires. I had a terrible shake when I'd let off the gas from highway speeds, and it turned out to just be tires.

Now what caused the tires to wear that way? I'm not sure. But it's been about 6 months and it hasn't returned.

Win your car off and the steering lock free, turn your wheel back and forth, if there is excessive play in there means you have bad inner or outer tie rods, but you need to look at which one is moving. Keep in mind thee will be play normally but not a noticeable amount. I just replaced my outer tie rods for that reason. About a year ago my front rotors had some run out and when I replaced them it helped a little as well..but ultimately the outer tie rods caused most of the shaking.

Win your car off and the steering lock free, turn your wheel back and forth, if there is excessive play in there means you have bad inner or outer tie rods, but you need to look at which one is moving. Keep in mind thee will be play normally but not a noticeable amount. I just replaced my outer tie rods for that reason. About a year ago my front rotors had some run out and when I replaced them it helped a little as well..but ultimately the outer tie rods caused most of the shaking.

I suspect that's my problem. I have quite a bit of play. Thank you!

Thanks a bunch, guys. Going in on Tuesday to have the problem fixed. Definitely need new rotors and will have them look at the tie rods. Doesn't seem to be excessive play in the steering so I'm going to to assume it's the rotors. I should probably just go up to the H6 upgrade if I'm going to go thru the trouble, huh? Anyway, thanks again for the help, gentlemen.

Yes...and yes. You'll need to do a thing or two to make them work as well as have wheels bigger than 15" for the wrx calipers to clear your wheels. Gotta drill the heat/dust shields off the knuckle..etc, here is a write up in the upgrades sticky that zues marine has put together.

same thing lots of shuddering when stopping from 50+, my rotors warped while on my cross country trip last year, turned the rotors and new pads in michigan and the problem went away. of course, it didnt help the bad ball joints or tie rod ends issue, those are on the short list for that car.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived