LegacyGT.com

Grinding going into 4th gear only.......

KTM 525

Starting to annoy me. I can shift 1st to 2nd ,2nd to 3rd at high rpm fast without a problem.If I go to shift fast into 4th I get a grind. It does go into 4th but with a grind:mad: . This has been developing as of late and has not happened since new. Shifts fine into 4th under normal driving.Kinda tough to tell a dealer about this issue I guess. Anyone else have this?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it were the clutch assembly then would'nt it do this in other gears as well? No other problems at high rpm except 3rd to 4th. I have a Kartboy SS since the car was new. What was your remedy Deerkiller?

reported my problem to my dealer.. waiting... just like the stuttering issue.

It took me more driving time to find when/how/what it was doing it in other gears, but each gear seems to be a little different, but still misbehaving at certain times. so *shrug*

I've had what DK described happen just once or twice at the most. I'm hoping it's related to powertrain flex and can be fixed with a better tranny brace. Otherwise it could become a huge PITA down the road.

• 1 year later...
I am getting that occasionally now too...the grind is pretty light, but still very annoying. I am going to try and add a little more tranny fluid tonight. If I hold off for a bit then throw it into gear it doesnt seem to be a problem.

Definately sounds like the synchro.

I found to my cost that it is possible to shift faster than the gearbox allows, and I now have to get the synchro between 1st and 2nd replaced.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that a lightweight flywheel and STS can exasperate this problem, but can't for the life of me remember where.

I have the same problem going in to 4th gear. it definitly feels like a synchro. if you shift slower it goes in fine, but if you shift fast, it grinds and then goes in. Its odd that the 4th gear synchro would go since i never beat it in to that gear 2nd and 3rd gears are what get most of the abuse.

• 2 weeks later...

No I am too cheap to buy their oil right now...but since I saw that Mobil 1 might not be all group 4 oil anymore I might make the switch to redline or find german castrol although that bumps up oil changes to $10 or $20.

I really can't tell the difference between the redline and the OEM stuff. My friend said that the OEM oil in my tranny still looked new when he was draining it.

I changed my fluid just last weekend to Redline (NS type) because of harsh engagement from 2nd to 3rd when shifting quickly before car is fully warm. So far, I can only report marginal improvement. I want to drive it some more before I make any final determinations. I also want to check fluid level. Mechanic was able to fit in only 3.5 quarts.

I am getting this harsh engagement in 5th gear when I shift at high RPMs. At first I thought maybe I was clutching out a little, but even if i hold it down for a few seconds and shift it will grind. But if im driving at a normal condition it shifts fine.

I just had my tranny fluid changed at the dealer and it didnt help.

I get a harsh engagement into 3rd gear... it's very notchy going into 3rd, not quite a grind when going in, but you definitely fele somehting. (I had the subaru STS installed at the dealer when new).

When I took it a while back for this issue, the tech at the dealer told me that it shifted normal. But then again, he also said that the clutch stink is normal if you slip the clutch...:icon_conf

Do I also have a synchro issue in 3rd?

I thought synchro problems usually showed up when down shifting , not upshifting, but I'm not smart on this. Anyway, I had downshifting problems and it turned out to be a bad 4th gear syncro (I had to double clutch to keep it at bay).

Dealer replaced under warrantee.

• 8 months later...

Archived