LegacyGT.com

Bilstein BTS kit group buy...?

Don't buy the GR-2s if you're looking for an improvement in handling. I currently have them on my OBXT and they made very little difference...

rB5, you installed the GR-2s for the 2005-09 Outback, right?

There are a couple guys over on outback.org who have had good results using the GR-2s for the 2000-04 Outback in '05-09 models. Of course, there are also a bunch of owners of 2000-2004 Outbacks with GR-2s who are satisfied...

Apparently the rear struts for the two models are basically interchangeable, but the GR-2s for the earlier model are stiffer.

Bimmer

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, i put them on my 2006 XT that had about 50k miles at the time, with stock springs. The stock struts were not worn out, but i wanted to see if the GR2s made a difference, based on previous experience using GR2s on an Impreza (which did give decent results). Essentially, if you just need OE replacements, the GR2s will be fine, but they are not a performance option.

Keep in mind that i came from lighter, more nimble cars to my OBXT, so my expectations are probably higher than your average OB owner. That said, the OBXT can be hustled through the canyons quite efficiently, even with the soft OE suspension*–*it just requires a little more dedication ;)

I believe you could use the 2000-2004 rears but the fronts are different and i'm not sure if the dampening spec for the rears are any different. The favorable reviews for them could be due to differences in weight, spring rates, etc. between generations but i haven't researched that.

Jimmy at HKC-speed replied to my PM. He said HKC has a shipment going out mid August which might be their last to North America. I replied to see if I could buy the 5056j kit from them. Never heard back and it's been about a week. Maybe my PM didn't make it to the right place.

Looking around, all the other options to buy the kit are very expensive. If there is someone who can offer a price comparable to HKC I would jump on it. Paying ~$2300 for the kit w/o shipping or any of the extra parts is just too expensive for me.

Side note - found a catalog of Bilstein Japan for Subarus (Bilstein Japan).

Edit: As HKC has gone silent I'm going to look into importing the kit from Hirano Tire.

Edited by labyj

Again... not trying to hy-jack this thread...

I'm getting closer to completing my conversion using adjustable Koni's & springs with increased rates (while maintaining factory ride height). Should be all tested by early September.

Once a few more components are machined, I'll take some photos and start a thread.

Talked to Auto Parts Warehouse and they said they are actual replacements....Tried to call bilstein and no one was available to check to confirm. I did look at the application guide on their site and it doesn't list any product availability...so we are back at square one...this is fun huh? you can buy a bitchin' set for your legacy for, what? $600 bucks? And we can buy basically the same thing with a longer housing for $2K. I'll live with my megans I guess. This is silly.

well, not enough travel...really thats about it. blew one out and had to have it rebuilt but other than than they are fine. for spirited driving they are fine but really, they just bottom out to quickly. I want firm with some travel ya know? thats it.

Googling around I think that the part you found (W0133-1831358) is for the legacy, but not the outback. I'm pretty sure the rear is different between the two.

The part # came up in an older legacygt post. Not sure if a conclusion was ever reached.

After discovering the current expense and hassle to import this kit, I'm going to put this on the back burner. I'll keep my eye open, but it's not worth the hassle/cost right now.

I am going to try Bilstein HDs, and Rallitek springs with spacers if need be. I should have everything delivered and on the car in a couple of weeks. Will let you know how it works out.

If this is actually possible without too much of a drop (I might be ok with up to an inch) this would be my preferred solution. Have you gotten the parts yet or any updates?

• 3 weeks later...

How about "KYB New SR special" series? Their price less than Bilstein but they w/o springs. Anyone knows about them anything?

Here's part numbers:

Front: NST5323R & NST5323L

Rear: NSF9801

Edited by NiTRO

I googled NSF9801 and had hits in Japan & "ru" (Romania?)...nothing in US. Also not sure of ride height. I suppose we could inquire with KYB tech if we had a source. Given the "markup" we witnessed on the BTS kit, I'm not sure the SR's would end up being a good value...but I notice you are in Moscow...so might be an option for you. KYB does make performance shocks...it's just that GR2's are targeted as more OEM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_top-level_domains :)

The ride height is the stock jdm&euro spec. It's mean 20cm (for OBXT ~20.7cm). BTS kit is also JDM&EURO spec actually :)

KYB new SR special like the BTS kit, only for internal market of Japan. I also found out that the rear NSF9801 self-leveling like the stock jdm&euro.

For example: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carparts.co.jp%2Fcar%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dstep3%26sctid%3D4%26carid%3D409%26item_code%3DA0037%26item_id%3D100403

The price looks better than for BTS kit and no need buy every time all set with springs and also the shipment should be cheaper. Perhaps would be better check the shipping cost for these KYB shocks also with those companies which can delivery it to the USA.

I googled NSF9801 and had hits in Japan & "ru" (Romania?)...nothing in US.

".ru" is Russia, biggest country in the world..

In the eastern part of russia they drive mostly cars imported from Japan, as it's closer/easier. Hence most of the cars there ar RHD and japanese specs (believe it or not).

Hi all,

I may have a look at the parts you need locally in Russia.

Just let me know what you are searching for exactly and I'll try to find it out here. Doubt it will be cheaper though.

P.S. I'm looking to buy '08 or '09 OBXT Limited for myself. I'd appreciate any advice or hint whether this car is good enough (send a PM) because it will cost me additional ~13k USD (customs+transportation) to get it over here. Another option is Acura RDX.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure, but it looks like Hirano has discounted prices (in red) on their Bilstein page. http://www.hirano-tire.co.jp/bil/bil4.htm

Maybe this is the ""cash only price" mentioned earlier in the post, that is a pick up in shop only?

If anyone knows anyone in Japan, we could pay that person an extra $100/set to pick up and get them to the courier.... I just don't know anybody in Japan!

D.

• 4 months later...