LegacyGT.com

KSport coilover thoughts & comparisons

GTCanada

I've had these in for a couple of weeks. My previous set up was STi springs on USDM struts. The install wasn't too bad - I can comment further if anyone wishes - even for a suspension noob.

My biggest issue with the STi / USDM setup is the tendency to crash over bumps. The worst would be driving through road construction with or potholes. Not pleasant. Mid-turn bumps could unsettle the suspension.

My initial set up was 1 turn out of 4 from full soft front and rear. even though the spring rates are higher than the STi they do not crash over medium to large raod imperfections. Not a cushy ride for sure but definitely an improvement. Mid-corner stability is better. The STi/ USDM combo would start to understeer, felt like the struts just gave up, on heavy cornering - think decreasing radius turns etc. The KSports maintain control much better. The ride quality can be somewhat bouncy but they generally settle quickly after bumps.

2 turns, basically 1/2 stiff, was a bit too firm for me. Poor quality pavement resulted in me getting bounced around a bit too much.

I am currently 1 1/2 turns to stiff on each corner and it has been wroking out pretty well. Ride height is 25 1/2 inches from ground to edge of wheelwell. A bit higher than it was with STi springs.

I may opt for 6k springs over the current 7k. We'll see.

Tom

How far do you have the shock body into the body length adjustment bracket on the front struts? I haven't installed my ksports yet, but would like as little drop as possible before the upcoming winter and would like to know how long these struts can go before theres to little thread in the bracket to be safe.

Also, how much did you preload the springs??

Thanks

I was the same way, felt bouncy.....something good to try is put them on full soft, drive for a day.......then put them to FULL hard and drive for a day, you'll be surpised, I found that I liked it more toward the hard then the soft side cuz I hated the floaty feeling......I though full hard would feel like absolute crap....I'm 1.5 turns from hard right now and love'n it......but that's also with mysetup of preload and blah blah.....so many variables....

On the OBXT - this morning went from full soft to half/half on the front only. It is a big difference. I would not want to go more than this with our 45 series tires as it does feel like it is on the edge of bouncing too hard and loosing contact on semi rough city roads. Freeway it feels great. I am headed to the mts this weekend and will try cranking the back to half/half with 3 people and a load in and see how it works. It will also demostrate if we need to get a RSB as well.

After a few weeks of adjusting and driving, I think I will go with a softer spring setup. On the stock 7kg springs, the ride gets underdamped if you run less than about 1/2 stiff but to get the springs and dampening in balance the ride quality is too stiff.

I'm undecided if I should go from 7kg to 6 or 5kg. Apparently, both will work.

Tom

After a few weeks of adjusting and driving, I think I will go with a softer spring setup. On the stock 7kg springs, the ride gets underdamped if you run less than about 1/2 stiff but to get the springs and dampening in balance the ride quality is too stiff.

I'm undecided if I should go from 7kg to 6 or 5kg. Apparently, both will work.

Tom

Def keep us posted on how much for the change in springs, how easy it is to do blah blah......cuz I might make the jump too......:icon_bigg I love these puppies, If I didn't drive as much as I do, I'd keep them just as is, but I'm on the road way to much to have it this stiff

change the springs are very easy as you just loosen the locking nuts and take the spring out and put the new one in. Ksport is checking on the size of the spring to see if they have them in stock. If anyone can check the ID of the springs please let me know. They ususally keep good amount of springs in stock.

it says to have the lower spring pearch fully seated by hand. and a max 3 turns in from there. but i find when its hand tight. it has a visible gap between the lower mount and or upper mount rubber and the end of the spring. so i have been tightening it for like 30 min to close that gap. but i assume i am doing the right thing. and to adjust ride hight. u turn the lower mounts

im have been playing with my new k-sports for a while. but i cant figure out how to set the preload. the web site says hand tight. which works for the back. but the front has the bottom rubber bushing and there is always a gap. how tight do i put them??? and where would the lower mount be for stock ride hight for a comparison point of how for i am going to be lowering the car??? is there an easy way to get out any and all free play in the spring but have no preload? and for a wagon i would think i would want a little pre load in the back and non in the front. any ideas??? the shock part is easy. found they where all over the place. i set them all in the middle to start. HELP!!!!

For preload, there are two rings that sit immediately below the spring. Hand tight preload means that you turn the top ring, which will turn the spring as well, until you can't compress the spring any more. Spin the locking ring up to meet the ring you just turned with your hand (wear a glove). Use the supplied wrenches and turn the rings in opposite directions to tighten & lock them. Takes about 3 minutes.

I don't follow why you would not want preload in the front. Some preload is necessary since it primes the suspension to be ready to respond to cornering or other loads.

Tom

I would probably go for 5kg front and rear.

On another note, for the stock 7kg springs I think the best setup is if the dampeners are set to 3/4 of full stiff. With the springs and dampeners in balance, the ride is less bouncy. However, it is stiff so the car can seem to ride over bumps rather than absorb them and will result in a certain amount of jostling on rough roads. But, the setup has fantastic cornering ability and is a major improvement compared to STI pinks + USDM struts.

So, if the relationship between dampeners and springs is linear and 7 kg = 3/4 stiff

then 5 kg = 1/2 stiff (more or less anyway).

Tom

I would probably go for 5kg front and rear.

On another note, for the stock 7kg springs I think the best setup is if the dampeners are set to 3/4 of full stiff. With the springs and dampeners in balance, the ride is less bouncy. However, it is stiff so the car can seem to ride over bumps rather than absorb them and will result in a certain amount of jostling on rough roads. But, the setup has fantastic cornering ability and is a major improvement compared to STI pinks + USDM struts.

So, if the relationship between dampeners and springs is linear and 7 kg = 3/4 stiff

then 5 kg = 1/2 stiff (more or less anyway).

Tom

+1 that's how I have mine set right now also :icon_bigg

No news from Ksport on my end. Do they have 5 or 6kg springs for these kits? No one can tell us. Maybe this explains it:

new info, 6kg springs is in and ready to order for the rear of the kit. it won't be an option for the front as the springs are custom made and doesn't come in 6kgs. I am waiting to see if ksport offers 5kgs for both front and back.

So was there some misinformation about the option of different springs for these coilovers when we all first bought them?!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14676&page=1&pp=15

WTF - So spring rates are 7k/7k? How much would alternate springs be if we wanted to go stiffer?

Jinsu - they are free if u request it with ur pre-order. extra set is about $100 a pair.

To clarify - Jinsu did you tell us something that was not accurate regarding the option of different springs for these coilovers when we all first bought them?

I bought this unproven product based on the option that I could change damping and springs (firmer and softer)...hmm. Now I can not?

The springs are custom sized on the front of the legacy kit. Ksport will get supplier to make them in 6kg if there are enough request. (like 20 + orders)

I am waiting on ksport to gimme a definate answer on the 5kgs. i will update very soon.

Actually they were tested by one member who recomended to me to use a different spring rate in the rear as a standard and you rufused saying it would be too tailhappy...seams we were destined to get 7/7 only from the start.

yes that's due to legal issue as ksportusa would not want get any law suit in case a buyer end up getting in a ditch as his car fishtails it's way off a off ramp.

Like I said once again. Lower spring rates are avaialbe just not in a defualt package to avoid any legal issues. I am still waiting an answer from ksportusa's in house enginneers to give me a list of spring rates availabe in the legacy's custom spring size.

Okay, Here is an update on custom spring rate order issue.

Ksport is going to custom make the 6kg spring for the front right now for you guys. So you guys can have F 6kg/ R 6kg setup or F 6kg / 5kg setup.

You will have to pay by monday if you want the springs fast as ksport will put them on their next week's express airshipment from oversea. If you don't make it by the time, you will have to wait for December's boat shipment or pay extra for airshipment.

springs are $100 a pair

paypal to jinsupower@gmail.com along with your name, application and spring rate.

I just called Ksport to get more information on the 6 vs. 5kg springs; no reply to my emails. They said that they will not offer a 5kg for the front; 6 is our only option.

They suggested that I try the 6 in the front and leave the 7 in the rear at this time; better turn in and load carrying capability.

I will be a guinea pig. Fingers crossed or GPmoto comes next. :icon_neut

Paypal sent.

Archived