LegacyGT.com

If you don't want to get towed off the road, replace your oil cooler pipe

MA. -and- I try and wash the undercarriage after storms. That pipe appears to have no galvanization. I'm not alone either, I found some nasioc posts asking for the PN because of bad corrosion on that part. The only other rusty parts on my car is the rear subframe, the welds were not apparently galvanized either. Subaru FAIL.

The pipe is right under the timing cover and attaches to the oil cooler.

I believe there was a early recall for the rear sub frame rusting.

I think I remember seeing the pipe when I replaced the timing belt.

Thanks,

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 8 months later...

Mine looked just like that when I rebuilt my motor back in '09 (car was three years old with 60,000 miles). Even after cleaning it up there were so many pits I didn't feel right putting it back on there. Fortunately new ones are cheap.

For my '06:

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/3029/oilcoolerh.jpg

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1618/oilcoolerpipepn.jpg

Here's my old pipe, 154,000 miles.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4727.jpg

Here's the new one on, I painted it with high temp paint that I use for the calipers. I figured is couldn't hurt.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4767.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 1 month later...

Part number?

About to do timing belt, idlers and WP. May as well replace while there if not too costly. 2006 with 204k miles.

300k miles, BNR 16g, CryoTune, 'Bullet-Proofed' IC, Motor rebuild @ 250k b/c of a cracked exhaust valve. Original 5 EAT. Oil changed religiously @ 3,000 mi.

• 1 month later...
Max, do you have any recollection what the total cost and your own labor time was on this job?

So here's the quote that Fred Bean's gave me yesterday, hope I'm not violating some protocol by sharing this.

I too am interested in time for replacing this, as well as on how to avoid draining the coolant to do this.

Thanks.

Fred Beans quote.pdf

I spent less than 15 minutes, but I already had the undercover off. I avoided losing coolant by plugging each end with neoprene glove over a sharpie as quickly as possible. You should bleed the coolant system after before putting any real load on the engine. If you've only lost a little bit of coolant, it will self-bleed if you heat cycle the engine at idle 2-3 times with enough coolant in the reservoir.

Max, do you have any recollection what the total cost and your own labor time was on this job?

Sorry just found this again.

I did mine when the engine was out of the car. I have been planning to replace it since I first heard of this problem.

So here's the quote that Fred Bean's gave me yesterday, hope I'm not violating some protocol by sharing this.

I too am interested in time for replacing this, as well as on how to avoid draining the coolant to do this.

Thanks.

You do realize there are many parts there you don't need...right ?

You can reuse the clamps or replace them with a $3.00 box of gas line clamps. The hoses I paid in the $7.00 racnge but I get a 25% discount at the dealer.

I rinsed out the oil cooler with acetone and let it dry for a few day's, reused the fittings that hold all that together.

All you need is the pipe and the 3 hoses.

Also I topped of the engine short block with Peak Global 50/50 pre-mix anti-freeze, after using up the Prestone and Peak coolant I had left over from the timing belt change.

You do realize there are many parts there you don't need...right ?

You can reuse the clamps or replace them with a $3.00 box of gas line clamps. The hoses I paid in the $7.00 racnge but I get a 25% discount at the dealer.

I rinsed out the oil cooler with acetone and let it dry for a few day's, reused the fittings that hold all that together.

All you need is the pipe and the 3 hoses.

Of course. Unfortunately the cooler itself may be leaking. I'm planning on replacing all the hoses, the coolant pipe, and if necessary the cooler as well. The O ring above has already been replaced, leak still happening, either the O ring didn't get installed properly or the cooler itself is leaking. Hopefully the former.

What was the reason for rinsing the cooler with acetone, was it to clean out the coolant side of the exchanger? Also, when you say you reused all the fittings that hold that together, are you referring to the various hoses etc, or can the cooler itself be further disassembled?

• 5 months later...

Just found this again.

I think by fittings I meant that 24mm long bolt fitting thing that holds the oil cooler to the block, the oil filter screws into it. I bought a set of deep socket from Harbor Fright for the 24mm Deep socket.

I used acetone to clean out the oil side of the cooler just to break up anything that may have been in there. Every time I dumped it out, just oily residue came out, no metal or chunks of anything.

Archived