LegacyGT.com

Blow Off This

I'm a happy owner of a new '06 MT LGT. I've got 1500 miles on it, and Gave it hell for the first time yesterday. (It was sooo hard to wait)

I enjoy the car so much its disturbing. Yesterday on the way home from work I took a detour for fun, and it was my first time driving on freshly wet roads. I read on an earlier forum that the Legacy won't let you spin tires on wet roads. So at a stop sign I gave it 3 grand let it go quickly and turned left. All 4 tires lit up and I was skeeting all over the road. I let go of the gas kinda early cuz' this 4 wheel drive burnout condition was new and unexpected for me.

Anyway, my car is ultra quiet. With windows down and roof open you can clearly hear the turbo quietly whistling, but you have to strain to hear it.

THANKS for the silencer removal tip. (you'll see it on the topics page if you haven't already) I'll do that one soon.

Does anyone know why I should get a Blow Off Valve? I've never had a turbo before, this world is new and exciting to me.

Obviously I want to hear it make that awesome sound, but which one should I get, and how easy are they to install? Care to give out instructions?

A side note: I have never seen another LGT on the road, Am I all alone in NC? Certainly no kick ass Lady Legacy's near me.

You fellas in Austin, Texas Jump on that!

The only reason to get a BOV would be the sound. There is really no performance advantage unless you are at the hp level the stock BPV would be a hindrance. Do a search to find more info on BOV installs/opinioins and welcome.

You don't really "need" one.

Once you start upgrading for more power, though, you/your tuner may desire one which holds boost a little better than the stock BPV.

But at anything less than what's typically considered "Stage II" - or even *at* that level - an aftermarket BOV is just an aural guilty-pleasure. ;) You'll want to set the aftermarket BOV to at least 50/50 recirc./vent-to-atmosphere, if not full-recirc. to minimize any driveability troubles.

The two most popular, AVO and GFB, are literally "plug-and-play." Typical installation instructions are available as a "walk-through" here, search for "GFB install," and you'll get a very good idea.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

i actually dont have a blow off valve but the reason is because some people say its not actually good for your turbo/engine because the ecu expects the air to go back through the engine or something like that im kind of new with the turbo thing also but always wanted one, turbo car and bov. i noticed a lot of ppl have the GFB Hybrid BOV. I am still deciding weather or not to get one.... Good luck

i actually dont have a blow off valve but the reason is because some people say its not actually good for your turbo/engine because the ecu expects the air to go back through the engine or something like that im kind of new with the turbo thing also but always wanted one, turbo car and bov. i noticed a lot of ppl have the GFB Hybrid BOV. I am still deciding weather or not to get one.... Good luck

^ As long as you fully recirculate, you'll be fine. Recirculating means that you won't lose metered air (of course, full-recirc. also means that you won't have a too loud blow-off sound, either).

This is an easy consideration of the two currently marketed "plug-and-play" BOVs on-market for the LGT, the AVO and the GFB.

--------

Back to lwood -

Obtaining an aftermarket panel-filter replacement can also help increase your current induction sound.

Additionally, using an aftermarket full intake system will also free-up quite a bit of induction sound - typically, for most "short ram"-type intakes, it will actually allow for enough of the stock BPV's noise to be heard so that it sounds like an aftermarket BOV. However, please be aware of the inherent technical limitations that come with using a full aftermarket intake system (versus simple panel filter replacement). [ More on this issue is available through a search of our Forums. ;) ]

Finally, don't worry too much about the "AWD-burnout."

It *is* more than possible, even at "stock" power levels, and especially so with your stock tires.

Make sure that your tires are at proper pressures. With the stock RE92s, just a couple of pounds off can drastically reduce available grip - and ESPECIALLY in the wet.

The fact that you were also cutting a corner (however conservatively), also won't help the traction situation. ;)

Just as a note - playing around only with my inflation pressures, I can break-loose all 4 of my 225-wide Falken ZIEXs, even in the dry. I'm typical "Stage II" power-level.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Yes, when you vent to the atmosphere the car will run rich (for the brief moment you're venting)

That's why if you want to hear something, it's really best to do 50/50. You'll still run rich, but not as much, and you'll get the audible whoosh too. It's expensive to whoosh though :lol:

The stock BPV will leak under higher than stock boost levels.

Also, a BOV will reduce lag between shifts. Even at 50/50. :icon_wink

If manufacturer's weren't concerned with noises created by the engine's functions (i.e. air-box resonator, mufflers, etc.) Subaru's would be whooshing out of the factory.

edit: WorxTuning is real close to releasing theirs. click

ProTUNED by RaminiSports :icon_mrgr

... if you do get one, have fun with it. I have a greddy type-s in my rx7 and if i left off real slow, instead of PSSSHT (or WOOSH or the textual version of "all at once") it comes out as Pssssheeeeeewwwwwww.

It's so much fun when you have the "in the know" tunerkids look at your car with the "wth is wrong with that bov?" look on their face. priceless indeed.

... especially when you rockin' a mindblowing 6psi on a rotary. woot! =).

on the serious side, yes you'll definitely run rich or richer which might equate to lower mpg. you absolutely don't need it on a stock system. it's either a "look at me" device or a "just because" device unless you're pushing some major power.

whatever the case, do it to make yourself happy. ignore what everyone else has to say.

Ya'll rock, thanks for the input. I'm thinking no Blow off valve untill My Leg is bustin' Cobra's at the Mooresville Drag Strip.

What I got from your input...

Whoosh is good...Whoosh is awesome...Whoosh gives you nothing but maybe worse MPG.

Want whoosh? Get power to back it.

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question... but do people with the 5EAT put in BOV's too? Does it work the same way?

Also.. when my friend had a BOV on his car... he lost boost actually. When he was running on the track he lost nearly half a second on his time. He noticed his boost was off. We replaced it back to the stock on and he was getting normal boost once again. Was it installed wrong or is this common?

Also.. when my friend had a BOV on his car... he lost boost actually. When he was running on the track he lost nearly half a second on his time. He noticed his boost was off. We replaced it back to the stock on and he was getting normal boost once again. Was it installed wrong or is this common?

:icon_conf

I would think that this would be due to either a defective component, improper installation, or improper adjustment of the BOV (either from the factory, if it's supposed to be a pre-set unit) or during owner install procedures.

Don't do a BOV unless you want it for holding down lots of power...

I have the gfb, and i'm running on full recirc (50/50 all the time is plain obnoxious for this car) and I can tell the diff between stock and this unit...

But that is only cause I'm stage II w/ headers and catback (ie- I have it for something cause of my power levels...)

^^ YUP!, I too have the GFB. Got it for a great price and needed it b/c my stocker wasn't holding boost and was definitely leaking. Guess I could've gotten another stock BPV for cheap $ but I really didn't care to run into the same leaks as I did when I went stage II+. I keep it on 100% recirc. Side note: at stage 1, I replaced my stock filter w/AVO drop-in and could hear the stock BPV quite well. You may wanna go that route first.(?):)
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

I replaced my stock filter w/AVO drop-in and could hear the stock BPV quite well. You may wanna go that route first.(?):)

Same here. Well, Perrin drop-in not the AVO... and not stage 1 (stock)... but you can just barely here the BPV. Enough to make me happy with it, and $40 is much cheaper then $200 :p

Archived