LegacyGT.com

Periodically stuck in "Park"

N.sane

Recently, I sometimes have a hard time getting out of "Park". The workaround for now is stepping on the brake a few times, rev the engine a bit, and repeat until it unlocks the shifter :confused:

I must've looked like a retard to the guy behind me waiting to take my spot at the gas station with my brake lights blinking constantly. Anyone have any idea what's going on? :spin:

I had this issue with my RS, I would rev it in Drive to 5k and not get it to budge which is embarrassing. So I started at square one, the transmission fluid level. Give it a check, if its low add some if its too full you should see about draining some out. Subarus are VERY temperamental about their transmission fluid levels and even what type of fluid is put in them. In my case it was too much fluid and the fluid had broken down so much it lost its viscosity. And my honest opinion if you do a drain and fill of the transmission fluid, use a synthetic, well worth the money. Went from being a dumpy RS tranny with 200k miles on it, and it felt it, and transformed it into a transmission that felt like it had only 100k

no no fluid is not going to fix the shifter being locked in park !

its got a solonoid that locks it in park so you have to push the brake pedal.

its mostlikely sticking. probably some soda or puke leaked down and is making it stick.

try the overide notch you cna put your key into it or a screwdriver and see if it moves freely then.

you mostlikely have to take it apart and clean and lube the parts .

i hope you chekcing the fluid with engine running ? !

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Oh, that would be my mistake, I read it wrong :/ but I too had the park issue, I think I took the shifter apart, the spring was out if place or something. Was a big problem trying to leave places. But a simple fix, try that, hopefully its not something like a neutral safety switch :/

• 1 month later...

OP, did you take it into the dealership? What was the end result? Ive had this same problem with my 06 legacy for a while now, and it keeps getting worse. If its a simple fix I would rather not take it into the dealer, I can get it done at the cost of parts. Let me know!

Thank you

Archived