LegacyGT.com

Clutch bearing?

Listerine

Hey guys, my transmission tore itself apart due to the throwout bearing seizing... I have a third party warranty that should have covered it but is currently denying my claim... HELP!!!

The $3000 question is....

does Throw Out Bearing = Clutch Bearing?

The warranty was purchased from Global Warranty (globalwarranty.com) based out of London, Ontario. I was kind of a last minute decision when I was buying my used car... I'll tell you, not one of my best decisions.

Apparently, coverage includes "ALL internally lubricated parts specifically including and limited to: housing, main and intermediate shafts, gear sets, synchronizer rings, shifter fork, bearings, flywheel, ring gear and transmission mounts. Excluded:

manual clutch, pressure plate, clutch bearing, external linkages and shifter"

As well, the agreement provides NO coverage for "b) Failure of a non-covered part. Note: Coverage shall also exclude the cost of repairs and replacement

of covered parts where their replacement is due to the failure of a non-covered part."

Source: http://globalwarranty.com/titanium-ont.pdf

They told me that because it was the throwout bearing that failed, NOTHING that failed due to it was covered.

That really sucks... sorry for you, man! Just reminds me why I never use extended warranties - they don't cover much!

Incidentally, how does a seized TOB cause a transmission to destroy itself? I'm trying to understand how this can happen... I'd figure the seized TOB would fry the pressure plate as you clutched-in but that's about it? I must be missing something...

that was quick rao, thanks. But I guess I'm SOL now...

I have no idea what your policy says - other than they never pay, or what actually happened to your transmission, but you might want to argue that an input shaft or other internal bearing caused the problem - it would be hard for them to avoid paying for that.

Listerine - How many miles on your car? Presumably more than 60,000mi, hence the extended warranty. If not, some owners have been successful in getting the dealer to cover clutch/trans damage due to TOB failure under the powertrain warranty.

thanks for the responses guys.

rao - the warranty company asked for pictures when they did the teardown of the tranny... after receiving said pics from the shop they said they were positive that the TOB was what caused the failure... how would I go about arguing to them that it was an input shaft or other bearing?

jeepthrills - my shop indeed said that the transmission case was cracked as well, they have a used on laying around that they will sell me instead of a new one.

blink - my car currently has 135,000 km on it... works out to approx 84,000 miles. No more dealer warranty as far as I am aware, who would you suggest I try to contact regarding getting some of this covered?

fyi, I am currently on "vacation" with my gf here in Naperville, IL. I'm from Toronto, ON. We were supposed to leave last Saturday to go back to work but we are now stuck here until repairs can be done so I can drive back home. I know, it sucks.

Well, the car is at genesis racing development (http://www.grdperformance.com/), it was towed there because they were the only guys that could get me an ACT HD clutch and lightweight flywheel on such short notice. They only discovered the tranny problem after teardown. However, I am very happy with the level of service and sense of urgency they are providing me. The $3k price includes the clutch, flywheel, and tranny rebuild. Pretty decent if you ask me.

rao how close are you from Naperville?

schwinn,

when you continue to drive it with a bad TOB...the clutch frags...when the clutch frags and parts fly at high rotational speed,things break...it usually takes the case out too. Happened to mine before i bought it.

Ahh ok... though I'd think that when you hear/feel the clutch fragging, you'd let off the clutch... but I suppose I might "freeze up" and wonder "WTF", leading to the cracked trans...

Cracking the case... yeesh!

Thanks for the explanation.

yeah, I thought it was just my clutch going as this is my first manual transmission vehicle. + I right before it totally went FUBAR on me, it was in another shop to change a coil pack and they said my clutch was "going" and to baby it to the next shop to get it replaced. On my way there it went plop.

Everyone with a stock LGT clutch should be warned....If the clutch is acting weird...TOW IT!!! thats the difference between a 400-600 dollar clutch and a 3000 dollar clutch/tranny!!

schwinn:

it happens quite often. SOA should have come up with a more HD clutch.

Agreed.

As well to start off my smear campaign:

Do not buy aftermarket warranties from Global Warranty!! (http://www.globalwarranty.com)

After close inspection of their Terms and conditions I have discovered that they can pretty much deny ANY claim you have even if you believe that it should be covered.

From their Terms & Conditions:

Your Agreement provides no coverage to you for the following:

a) Damage caused by your failure to maintain your vehicle or adhere to Part Four of Your Maintenance

Obligations or Manufacturer suggested service schedules

b) Failure of a non-covered part

c) Repair or replacement of any part if a mechanical breakdown and/or failure has not occurred

d) On Titanium 1 Star, 2 Star & 3 Star warranty plans only, any repair or replacement due to normal

wear & tear

e) On Titanium 4 Star thru 7 Star warranty plans any repair or replacement on any part that the field

tolerances have not exceeded the manufacturer’s specifications for your covered vehicle

f) Any repair or replacement of a covered part which has not failed but which a repair facility

recommends or requires or suggests to be repaired or replaced

g) Any breakdown and/or failure caused by collision, upset, glass breakage, falling or flying objects,

fire, smoke, theft, vandalism, riot, explosion, lightning, earthquake, freezing, rust, corrosion,

contamination, windstorm, hail, water, flood, acts of God, salt and environmental damage

h) Any repair or replacement of parts due to carbonized or burnt valves, seized piston rings or resultant breakage

i) Any damage caused by misuse, abuse, negligence, or failure to immediately protect your covered

vehicle from further damage when a breakdown and/or failure has occurred

j) Failure to maintain proper levels of oil, lubricants, coolants, fluids, or filters

k) Damage as a result or contributed by the vehicle pulling a trailer or another vehicle weighing more

than 1000 kilograms, unless the vehicle is equipped with a factory installed or authorized tow package

l) Any squeaks, rattles, whines, wind noises, or water leaks

m) Any problems or conditions existing prior to commencement of your Agreement or existing during

the manufacturer’s Full Warranty term

n) Any damage if your odometer does not reflect the correct reading, has been altered, broken,disconnected, or has stopped and repairs have not been made

o) Loss of vehicle use, time, profit, inconvenience, or other incidental or consequential loss that results

from a breakdown and/or failure

p) Any breakdown and/or failure covered by any warranty, recall of the manufacturer, or any repairer’s guarantee

q) Any damage if the covered vehicle was used for commercial purposes

r) Any consequential and/or resultant loss, damage, injury or death (including any costs or expenses, legal or otherwise related) of any nature whatsoever suffered by any person, firm or corporationarising directly or indirectly from any repairs, delays or failures to make repairs covered under your Agreement, including (but so as to restrict the generality of the definition of “repair” herein), labor and workmanship incidental to such repairs

s) Any breakdown and/or failure caused by contamination or loss of: fluids; fuels; coolants; or lubricants

t) Any Emission Control or related parts replacement as recommended by or the result of either a Federal or Provincial legislation/regulation

u) Any corrections to the manufacture of the Covered Vehicle as recommended by Technical Service Bulletins

v) Any Damage to your Covered Vehicle as a result of incorrect tires, emissions or exhaust system modifications, frame or suspension modifications, after-factory modifications of any kind such as: add-ons; high performance parts or equipment, or accessories

w) Any repairs made without Global’s authorization

As well;

Your Agreement provides no coverage to you for the following:

a) Any part or benefit not specifically listed in Part 3: Parts and Covered Benefits.

b) Maintenance services and parts described in the vehicle owner’s manual for your covered vehicle and other normal maintenance services and parts which include but are not limited to: all shop supplies, filters, distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs, wires, glow plugs, all hoses, belts, brake pads, brake shoes, brake rotors, brake drums, flex hoses, McPherson Struts and shock absorbers, coil and leaf springs, wiper blades and arms, thermostats, block heaters, glass, lenses, fuses, sealed beams, light bulbs, emissions and exhaust systems, wheel speed sensors, tires and rims (if Tire & Rim Road Hazard Warranty not chosen), batteries and cables, and the service operations

necessary to replace them;

c) Other services, which include but are not limited to: adjustments, cleaning, alignments, wheel balancing, tune-ups, retrofits, recalibrations, diagnostic charges, evacuate / recharges and flushes, and disposal fees;

d) Any items such as upholstery, convertible tops, interior plastic panels or trims, carpet, safety restraint systems, air bags, speakers, remote control units, paint, body panels, weather stripping and/or sealings, door handles, ornamentation, bumpers, trim mouldings, bright metals, running boards, roof racks, spare tire carriers, jacks or any other after factory add-on.

And to top it all off, their hours of operation are Monday to Friday 9-5 EST and if you cannot contact them for authorization of repair, it is not covered.

mattg - Last Feb. I noticed a high pitched whining sound coming from my clutch when fully released on startup, but only in cold weather and it would stop after a couple pumps while warming up. When the weather got warmer there was nothing. Then about 1 month ago, I noticed a whirring noise coming from the clutch when fully depressed when the car was in motion, but only in 4th and 5th gear. Then a day before it seized, I noticed the clutch was notchy upon release in 1st gear. And right before it totally went I was having trouble putting the car into gear and it was very notchy on all gears. Up until Genesis Racing Development (http://www.grdperformance.com), awesome shop btw, inspected my clutch and transmission I believed it was just my clutch going at 84,000miles.

jeepthrills - yes, the warranty does suck. I had originally bought it in the event of a turbo failure but now I'm almost positive if it did, Global Warranty would deny my claim on the basis of something like "Your tires were spinning too fast, thats why your turbo went, therefore we are not covering it."

Archived