LegacyGT.com

Windows look like a sand storm hit them

Alfred_Buchi

Hey Guys,

At some point in my cars life it looks like it went through a sand storm. Every window has tiny specs/chips that you can't really notice except when the sun is rising or setting and then it makes visibility really horrible.

This was annoying enough but I was tolerating it. Last weekend in big bear I realized ice builds up and adheres to these little dents and makes weird ice sheets that I've never seen on a windshield before. The wipers were useless even though I rain-x the hell out of the windshield, I think these dents are the main reason for it. I've driven in snowstorms a lot in my dads outback over the years and never seen anything like this.

Can you buff out glass the way you would buff out headlights? Is there any service out there that does this or am I stuck with a new windshield?

I won't bother fixing the rest of the windows since they are just annoying and not a real danger/inconvenience.

You can buff out glass the same way you would buff out headlights. But it would take so much time, be very difficult, and cost so much in sanding materials that it is not worth it compared to buying a new windshield. Airplane mechanics do it, but they are working on pieces of glass that cost upwards of $30k or more.

You are better off buying a new windshield ($150-200 or so). Make sure you are there while they install it to make sure they do a good job and don't chip your paint.

Archived