LegacyGT.com

Diff btwn GT & Non-GT?

OK, so, I wanna CAI my non-Gt Leggy. All of the site I look up CAIs on ONLY show CAIs for GT models (my model year). WTFs the difference? Is the underhood layout THAT different that a normal Legacy can't wear one?

I've tried visiting my local Scooby stealer to peek under teh blouse of a GT, but, they're ALL all sold out... Apparently some sort of conflagration in Japan (Godzilla, Mothra, Ultra-Man? Iount know, and they won't say which) has caused a shortage of GT's here.

Anybody able to 'splain? I don't wanna cough up $300-ish, only for it not to fit.

Other planned mods:

Add driving/fogs (2 sets of lights, as there is a difference in the light-pattern of, and use for, each)

Maybe LED's (tastefully applied, tailed off the parking lights)

DRL delete (it's such a STOOPIT thing for manufacturers to do to cars, honestly)

The cars' a DD, right now, so I don't plan on doing TOO much to it to detract from that. A place-holder, rilly, until I can get another A8; although, I am SERIOUSLY considering getting an older GT to Mod-UP, when I pass this one on to Mom's (as that's the long-term plan for this one, anyway) next year.

So, second question is:

What's the BEST year GT to get, as a starting point, in YOUR opinion? It'll HAFTA be a 5-speed (Scooby doesn't do 6-ers in teh Legacy, do they?), under 50k on the clock, and BLACK.

GT spec. B has a 6-speed manual in 2007-2009.

IMO 2007-2009 is the best year range. Folding rear seats are a huge feature. 2008-2009 have a VF-46 turbo instead of a VF-40, and are possibly a touch more reliable. 2008-2009 have a revised front grill, which is a personal preference on styling.

Not sure how the intake system is set up on the 2.5i, but here's how the GT works. It has a scoop-y thing where the hood meets the grill on the front that heads through the filter box and into the turbo inlet. Then the air passes into the turbo, across the intercooler and into the throttle body.

The CAI on a GT replaces just the box and triangular scoop seen in the bottom left corner of this pic.

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad236/flat4LGT/Leggy/Intercooler004.jpg

Next thing up, you can only get a black spec.B with a 6speed in 09. Black 5speeds are available in any year of the 4th gen (05-09). As rabid wombat said, 08-09 have a better flowing turbo with the vf46 (it is a slight upgrade for an 05-07 to swap a vf46).

I personally like the styling of the 08-09s the best, plus they have a more reliable, better flowing turbo. And you want black, which makes 09 the only year you can get a spec.B (6speed). Most 08-09s are going to be in that 50k mileage range or under. But they will cost you $17-24K depending on where you get it and whether you go for the spec.B or just a GT. 05s can be had for as little as $10-11k for higher mileage ones.

It's cool; I'm with the band

My Leggy has no scoop-y thing, OR grill on top of the engine; only the airbox & hose behind the passenger headlight; but, since only the airbox & hose are replaced, it sounds like I should be good...

I'll wait'll I can get a in-person peek at a Gt, to see what the actual diffs are.

Good info on the Spec.B. I'll keep that in mind. Price shud be down around $15k-ish, by this time next year, I'm guessing. Not so much worring about cost as I am mileage. If (fingers crossed) I have my (D3/4H) A8 well in hand, by then, I can afford to have the Scooby down for Mods, from time to time. '09 GT Spec.B, you say... Comes in Black... With a 6-speed... I smell a BAD-ASS combo, in my future! A S/C'd A8, and a HAWT LGT!!!

You won't find an '09 SpecB around 15k. Also, i've seen '07 6 speed SpecB's so I don't think you're limited to '09.

You're intake I believe runs where the "grill" is on that picture. That's actually an intercooler for a turbo-charged car.

An 09 spec.B will cost somewhere in the $23-25k range even a year from now, they might only lose $1k or so in value. And 09 is the only year he can buy because Black was one of his requirements. DGM (07-09), TSM (06), and QSM(08/09) were the only color options for a spec.B prior to that.
It's cool; I'm with the band

Blongo: Sounds like I can CAI my non-turbo, since the IC isn't rilly a part of the intake path that the CAI replaces.

Joe: You're prolly right about the pricing... We'll see. In the $21k+-range I may also be considering a V6 XWD Saab. More mods with the Scooby (and more long-term tech support), to be sure; and, the Saab comes with that stoopitly places ignition switch. We'll see. I got time to cross that bridge.

you do know that it's silly to put an aftermarket intake on an N/A, correct? just an FYI. it makes 0 horsepower gain, plus you'll *need* a retune for it. this has been discussed, more info can be obtained via the search function.

you do know that it's silly to put an aftermarket intake on an N/A, correct? just an FYI. it makes 0 horsepower gain, plus you'll *need* a retune for it. this has been discussed, more info can be obtained via the search function.

Good to know, but, honestly, I am more interested in any (even minor) mileage gains. My thinking: Better (less restrictive) breathing = better mileage. Long-term, I'm setting this ride up to pass on to my 70+ y/o mother. She lives in MI, where winters BEG for AWD. MOR POWER in mom's hands wud be wasted. Scoobys appear to be fairly reliable, from what I have (haven't?) seen of them not sitting by the side of the highways with their hoods up. A definite + for a Mom-mobile.

MY long-term POWER fix will be met with a S/C SWB A8 and, probably, a GT with a manny-tranny. Driving this thing around has shown me the fun-potential of the Legacy chassis, but I doubt Mom will be hammering it even 10% as much as *I* currently do.

I do thank you for the info, however. Your knowledge, shared, has not fallen on deaf ears.

FWIW, I ain't new to forums, just Scoobys. I know where the search function is and how it works.

You will actually lose MPG. Believe it or not, the theory behind it was discussed. You can read up further in those threads. Every other day a 2.5i owner comes on and asks for what intakes are made for the car. Some people note a 2mpg loss with it. Even a GT wont benefit with an intake until 18g + turbo sizing

I would do some more research before you pay for an aftermarket intake. Although the principle of "less restriction = more efficient" is often true, you may not get the results you expect if the stock intake and air filter are efficient and appropriately sized to begin with.

A less restrictive filter may let more air in, but there are some well-documented tests in the Miata community that demonstrate how the "high flow" foam filters also don't filter as well as the stock paper style. To use your own logic, you are putting more dirt in the engine of the Mom-mobile.

When I was spending time with Hondas, kids constantly had negative experiences with aftermarket intake manifolds. People pay for a shiny aftermarket part that is supposed to be less restrictive and they end up seeing no gains or slight losses because the OEM part was good to begin with.

Good to know, but, honestly, I am more interested in any (even minor) mileage gains. My thinking: Better (less restrictive) breathing = better mileage. Long-term, I'm setting this ride up to pass on to my 70+ y/o mother. She lives in MI, where winters BEG for AWD. MOR POWER in mom's hands wud be wasted. Scoobys appear to be fairly reliable, from what I have (haven't?) seen of them not sitting by the side of the highways with their hoods up. A definite + for a Mom-mobile.

MY long-term POWER fix will be met with a S/C SWB A8 and, probably, a GT with a manny-tranny. Driving this thing around has shown me the fun-potential of the Legacy chassis, but I doubt Mom will be hammering it even 10% as much as *I* currently do.

I do thank you for the info, however. Your knowledge, shared, has not fallen on deaf ears.

FWIW, I ain't new to forums, just Scoobys. I know where the search function is and how it works.

more air means more fuel, which means more power. when ever you make more power your mpg is going to drop everything else being equal.

Just learn to use the search box and you'll find all the answers your little heart desires.

;-)

What is this search, you speak of... Maybe if you posted a link, I cud find it bettter:spin:

Also, thanks to the rest of you, for the useful info!

Next thread, I just may decide to regale you all with how awesome I was, back when I was stationed in Europe, defending freedom's side door and back porch, 20 years ago!

plus you'll *need* a retune for it. this has been discussed, more info can be obtained via the search function.

Which is kinda messed up, because I know of many other MAF system cars which don't require a retune. Would benefit from, yes. Need, no.

I figured I'd chime in to save you some time and trouble since I tried something like this on my car before I turboed it.

I bought a SRI from Cosmo racing to put on my car. The LGT intake is completely different from our intake system. Their intake is snaked under the intake manifold.

You could go with an aftermarket intake. But there are 2 main things to note from what I can recall.

1) You need to make sure that the MAF housing part of the intake is the same diameter as the stock piece. Otherwise you will have issues. If you buy an aftermarket kit with a larger diameter, you will run lean. The car does not like that at all.

2) You will want to get an open source tune. Typically this runs around $500. If your 09 has the same ECU code as mine, which I'm guessing it is, tuning isn't a simple task.

If you have the money to invest, then by all means go for it. Otherwise I would save the money for something else.

Joe: You're prolly right about the pricing... We'll see. In the $21k+-range I may also be considering a V6 XWD Saab. More mods with the Scooby (and more long-term tech support), to be sure; and, the Saab comes with that stoopitly places ignition switch. We'll see. I got time to cross that bridge.

Good luck with your spec.b search. Usually there's about 10 available for sale in the country at any one time. Here's the only black one, 600 miles from you:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=301833171&dealer_id=64262999&car_year=2009&systime=&doors=&model=&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=__c3BlYy5i__&keywordsrep=115112101099046098&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1311611412562&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=spec.b&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=WASHINGTON_DC_NO&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=20001&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&make=SUB&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=614&standard=false

Blongo: Sounds like I can CAI my non-turbo, since the IC isn't rilly a part of the intake path that the CAI replaces.

After many threads and post. Stock intake is BEST for our N/A engines. Just get a AVO panel filter.

Archived