LegacyGT.com

1997 Legacy L, 2.2 timing.

This is my first post and I DID search. I viewed this thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/96-legacy-timing-belt-broke-driving-speed-189474p2.html?highlight=2.2+timing+belt

I also looked at two more but searching for "2.2 timing belt" turned up a lot of non-related results. I tried looking through the how-to section first but it isn't organized into specific items and it seems anyone can post anything there so it is confusing.

I also viewed the video in that thread linked above but he doesn't mention what year engine he is working on.

I got this 1997 Legacy L with the EF22 engine for $800. It has 240,000 miles on it and he PO couldn't remember if he ever put the timing belt on it. He owned it from 120,000 miles. Since it seems the post-1996 EF22 is interference, I don't want to leave it to chance. I've read/heard about the 'green' bearings in the timing kits not being as good as the double bearings and wasn't sure if there was any merit to that. I plan to purchase a timing kit form Rock Auto but had some questions I wanted to ask first.

Some kits say 'CA' emissions on them. I'm not sure if that matters or if it does, how I can tell. My scanner shows 'CA' on the test portion but I don't know if that is what the kit manufactures are looking for.

Do you really need to remove the cam sprockets? I downloaded the service manual and it says to remove the sprockets but doesn't say why and there doesn't appear to be an obvious reason. I know on my Zetec that you have to loosen the cam gears to get the belt to mesh with the gear teeth (as per a TSB) and wasn't sure if that is why they mean here. I've timed Mitsubishi engines that didn't require this step but you did have to retard the crankshaft one tooth so it would take up the slack when you set tension on the belt. I see how long the belt on this EJ22 is and wonder why you don't need to do it on this engine.

I'm looking at the AISIN kits: TKF002 and TKF003 but one is a CA kit. They are both the same price and appear the same in the pictures, not sure what that is about.

Other than a knock sensor circuit code (P0315 if memory serves) this thing doesn't have any major issues. It is slow but I think it needs a tune-up and the VC gaskets leak, so those will be replaced. My wife really likes it and it should certainly get better fuel economy then our Honda Passport.

• 2 weeks later...

CA emissions standards are tougher than federal standards, so the belt has to last to I think 105k miles instead of 90k or something. I don't think it's a big deal.

I removed an idler pulley, the Haynes book said to remove both of them but I just removed the bottom one. I'm sure there's an "official" procedure though. The teeth lined up just fine once everything was assembled. Note however that the tooth lengths are different on each side (44 from L to C, 40.5 from R to C), so your belt has to go on the correct direction or the marks won't line up.

CA emissions standards are tougher than federal standards, so the belt has to last to I think 105k miles instead of 90k or something. I don't think it's a big deal.....

Actually the non Ca is a 60k belt. Get the CA.

Replace all idlers, tensioner and water pump at same time. Remove oil pump and make sure screws aon back are tight and replace the o ring there.

As Tr00b states you only have to remove the gears if you are doing the seals at the same time.

Link to FSM:

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/

O.

CA kit it is then. I'm guessing the oil pump is belt driven? Any idea what the part number for that o-ring is?

I did the tune-up (NGK plugs, wires, fuel and air filter) and it picked up a lot of power. Brown fuel came out of the fuel filter so I'm sure that wasn't done the whole time this guy owned the car. It cleaned up nice and I just put a remote starter and keyless entry in it. I took pictures of the install process and will be writing a how-to once I find the time, that is if you don't already have one buried in that nightmare of a DIY section.

Archived