LegacyGT.com

??!!steamy oil vapor coming from turbo area!!??

I have a 2005 legacy gt limited manual, 143000 miles. The smell of burning oil has been around for the last six thousand miles. Had it checked out and nobody could find anything wrong. Now when my car idles for awhile whether I'm warming it up or at a stop light, smoke/steamy oil vapor comes out from my hood scoop. When the hood is popped I can see the steam coming from the turbo area. The smell is the strongest inbetween the turbo and the cold air intake (mounted in factory location) Possibly where the intake manifold is.... My guess is a bad intake or exhaust manifold gasket, or valve cover gasket, not sure though. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

There are a couple of active threads on this. I have been trying to pinpoint my leak for about a month. I tightened a couple of bolts on my valve cover gasket last week and the smoke has subsided a little but the smell is still there - im hoping its just burning excess oil at this point.

You should check:

Pass CV boots

Oil return line on base of turbo

Coolant lines on turbo

Oil lines on turbo

There are a couple of other seals to check, but I cant remember what they are.

Most likely valve cover gasket, but check the CV boot too, they have also been known to let go. New axles are about $80.00 at the auto parts store.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived