LegacyGT.com

Subaru head gaskets 2013

sheps58

I own a 2001 Outback HG failed at 90000 miles. At 146000 my HG failed on my 1998 Outback.

My 2001 now has 207000 miles and needs to be replaced. I'm thinking about a 2013 Outback-

However, I'm concerned about HG problems . Is there any info out there regarding what Subaru did to solve the problem.

you very rarely hear about 05+ legacy's with head gasket problems. i know that subaru changed its head gasket part number's over the years, as well changed the coolant and added a coolant additive that you need to use. a 2013 outback should be stout with the head gasket issue. seems like subaru updated suspension bits to correct the "shimmy" issue some people had with their 2010+

• 4 weeks later...
It gets the fb series engine that was introduced in the 2011 forester. It is not the same engine k thxbye

I'm talking about the real engine. The 3.6r not that weak 4 cylinder. Also learn how to speak properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

I'm talking about the real engine. The 3.6r not that weak 4 cylinder. Also learn how to speak properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

That was re-done in 2010, the 4th gen (2005-2009) had a 3.0R. And HG failures seem to be more isolated incidents that a systematic problem.

Why is it so hard for some people to answer correctly, if you don't know don't confuse the OP.

In 2011 Subaru introduced the FB engine in the Forester to replace the EJ motor. The new FB motor that is in the 2013 OB/Legacys doesn't even route the coolant through the head the same anymore so you have nothing to worry about.

2010-2012 OB/Legacys and 2010-Current 3.6 motors run a Multiple layer metal head gasket that is far less prone to issues that previous models were exposed to. Oddly enough the 2010 Forester and 2011 Impreza were still running the POS single layer head gasket.

Archived