LegacyGT.com

New Outback stalling at lo speed

Had my brand new diesel Outback 2l for 3 seeks now and have hit a problem wondered if any other users have come across.

At low speeds when eg turning a corner, about 10mph or less, have found it stalling on me when in 2nd or even first. Dealer says they have come across it in a couple of cars and is related to the light flywheel and to give it more welly with the clutch down to stop the problem.

Anyone anymore comments before I wreck my clutch?

We in the US dont have diesel Subaru's unfortunately so you there may not be many of us to help with your issue but the lighter flywheel is an issue sounds like you just need to take more time with the car and get used to low speed operation. I dont think there is much that can be done beside what the dealer suggested and that is more throttle when in that situation

Hi, sorry, didn't realise this wasn't Uk based. How parochial of me lol.

I'm in Scotland.

The dealer said it had been an issue with a couple of the cars and they'd contacted Subaru to see if they could up the standing revs by computer to help the problem.

I accept the difference between my driving a petrol previously and now a deisel, has a bearing but it's downright dangerous. I have driven deisel before (Landrover Disco) and never had a problem like this. Just how widespread is it, I wonder?

Hi, sorry, didn't realise this wasn't Uk based. How parochial of me lol.

I'm in Scotland.

The dealer said it had been an issue with a couple of the cars and they'd contacted Subaru to see if they could up the standing revs by computer to help the problem.

I accept the difference between my driving a petrol previously and now a deisel, has a bearing but it's downright dangerous. I have driven deisel before (Landrover Disco) and never had a problem like this. Just how widespread is it, I wonder?

There are a number of complaints that the diesel Outbacks are geared a bit too high, leading to alot of clutch slipping (particularly when towing) and premature clutch failures...

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20633

And if you happen to read Swedish..

http://swesubaru.forum24.se

Where do you live? Europe? Please post some pics of the engine.

There really isn't much to see, except a different badge on all the plastic engine covers. Looks like an XT engine bay otherwise, but it does have the dumbest looking exhaust tips ever (Why not just use the USDM rear bumper and turned down tips?!?)

Here is a great PDF of a press release on the engine though, if you are interested in details..

Diesel Engine Press Release

1692887856_BoxerDiesel2.jpg.388723693b0936f35f46145d48336b4a.jpg

335245867_BoxerDiesel10.jpg.c18c4e1178c36d83974c5323c1f8dbb8.jpg

1960164221_DieselExhaust.jpg.9f309c265c359a61ba37686f3a799eef.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived