LegacyGT.com

Turbo life?

I am worried that my turbo is going to die on me leaving me with an expensive repair. I have 66,000 miles on the odo and maintain my car like a freak. What can I do to prolong the life of the turbo? How long can I expect it to last?

Change the oil every 4mo/3750 miles and check it every 2-3 fuel fillups, never ignore a cooling system issue, drive your car easy(out of boost) until warmed up and keep motoring on. Lastly don't modify your car where it raises boost level.

It is also good after long periods of driving, to let the car run a couple minutes before shutting it off.

If you treat it right, you shouldn't have an issue.

My 91 has the stock turbo, and it is has never had a problem.

It's all about the maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

Volvo has had turbos on their cars since forever and they really don't break. 740GLE turbo wagons are seen around all the time from the 80s and they are totally trouble free.

Just change your oil and keep up on all your fluids and cooling and you be happy for years to come.

I dont know why every one is so afraid of Turbos but they are no different then any other part of the car, just maintain it and go.

Agree...I had a 95 volvo 850 turbo. 150k on the original turbo and still going strong. 88 thunderbird turbo coupe, 151k miles on the original turbo and stlll going strong.

The volvo, at least, had poor maintenance for the first 113k but an easy life.

The problem is that these Subaru turbos don't seem to be reliable for those lifespans. So many tales of failure at 60-100k.....even on very well kept cars. Could be an oil delivery problem. Could just be happenstance.

I plan on my 08 LGT needing a new clutch around 60-75k and a new turbo around 75-100k....even with a lifetime of synthetic oils. I hope I'm wrong.

It is also good after long periods of driving, to let the car run a couple minutes before shutting it off.

don't need to do that ona modern subaru

you keep hearing about turbos dying because the ones that last, no one talks about. For every dead turbo you hear about, there are probably 10-15 that live on

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

don't need to do that ona modern subaru

you keep hearing about turbos dying because the ones that last, no one talks about. For every dead turbo you hear about, there are probably 10-15 that live on

Not to mention people here mod their cars on this site meaning messing with turbos, timing, tuning ect... I would bet cars that are seen normal driving don't suffer failures that people on here report.

I agree with the above, if you maintain it well it should last. The last turbo car I had was an '89 Nissan 300ZX Turbo. Changed the oil every 3000 miles and sold it with 140K miles on it with no problems at all mechanically. Electrically? Well that's another story.

Yank out the mesh screen inside the turbo oil feed line first chance you get to prevent the clog problem that SOA is ignoring from burning up your turbo(half-kidding). Actually I don't know if anyone is actually doing that are they? There was a website advocating this for people installing their FP Green turbos.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Not to mention people here mod their cars on this site meaning messing with turbos, timing, tuning ect... I would bet cars that are seen normal driving don't suffer failures that people on here report.

Actually, quite a few of the posted turbo failures on this board are stock, unmodified vehicles.

The guys who mod them expect a shorter lifespan. I'm surpised mine has 63K+ on it, being stage2 for 40K of those miles.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Archived