LegacyGT.com

Dash Melt Down

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got another car (non subaru) that is doing that same thing. Once it starts there's no real way to make it stop.

I've heard people say they have used Goo Off or a scotch brite pad and soap but it'll just keep coming back over time. I think it's just degrading in the heat and sun. +1 to a sunshade to make it last as long as possible and keep it from fading out.

What did you put int he dash to cause this ?

My wagon is fine, all I ever used to clean it was a damp towel I use to dry the car off after washing.

The car sit's outside 24/7

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for all the comments...

The dash is not truly melted... It is just constantly sticky no matter the temperature. It's like the material has broken down over time. It hasn't even faded. Not a previous dash repair as I have had the car since new.

frank_ter - I did have a load of zombies in the trunk for a while but pretty sure no fluids or excrement made it to the dash, but thanks for pointing that out!!!

You need to realize that the sun in Florida is quite a bit hotter than the sun up in New England. I was surprised at the difference and will be getting a sun shade really soon.

I would think the dash would dry out and crack rather than get all sticky. Possibly something that the dash was treated with previously?

Take some pics

Have always used a bit of warm water and soap... never used anything aggressive like tire shine or the like. The weird thing is that it is only the dash piece and nowhere else in the car. I can't understand why the dash is the only area doing this when the door components look to be identical... I'll try to get a good photo.

Try and clean your dash with an aerosol type window cleaner. It is safe for the dash. I think you have a ton of residue from another type of cleaner.

I use it on all surfaces of my interior (except the radio controls). It will take the white lettering right off! ask me how I know. ;)

my 08 legacy does this. sticky when exposed to direct sunlight. i had my whole front windshield tinted. same thing. contacted mother's since i use mothers protectant and i was advised to use mild soap and water to remove excess build up of protectant. no improvement. tried leather/vinyl cleaners, dishwashing soap etc. also observed that while parked inside, the dash turns really matte and a powdery white residue would develop. been using baby wipes for the meantime to clean the dash but it still gets sticky

• 2 weeks later...
cleaned my dash with diluted dishwashin soap. dried it out and tried mothers VLR. parked it outside . surprisingly the stickiness has been reduced to a minimum. but god the dash is so shiny. still better than having a tar like sticky surface on my dash

• 1 year later...
After two plus years of living with the sticky dash issue I decided to have my dash wrapped. I just got tired of driving around with a shiny dash that's giving me a headache from the glare. it also started to develop long cracks. Had it wrapped in synthetic leather. It's beautiful again;). Cost me around 350 usd. It took around 8 days in the shop