LegacyGT.com

Command Decision

Ill attempt to make this quick..

As you know sometimes changes,,,yes all sorts of changes are required by the manufactures sometimes mile demanded and others time and or miles accrued ,,in this case plugs.

My 06 has only 25k on it but as far as years go,,somewhat aplenty.It was equipped with platinum plugs but just wonder about their long time lap endurance.

As in most subarus,,, engineers spent most of their waking and designing hours as how to make simple part replacement an impossibility or at the very least inaccessible and they more than succeeded in just checking the oil pan as well. Bear in mind my parking area which is assigned is small and when coupled with no tools that's the position I'm in.

I fly model helicopters 450 class and I have the same problems after a crash,,,but poor eyesight working with screws and bolts barely visible is my problem there..able to effect some repairs but they both have proven to be a bitch...

Recommendations.....I'm all ears..

Am I to assume you want to have your spark plugs changed?

You can do it yourself with some fairly basic tools that you can pick up just about anywhere that sells tools, and the job can be done in a parking space. If your eyes aren't up to it, perhaps you have a nephew with small-ish hands who'd like to learn about basic maintenance?

You'll need these, which, IIRC, are the stock replacement plugs: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MU5JKI/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: NGK (7913) SILFR6A Laser Iridium Spark Plug, Pack of 1: Automotive[/ame] Get four. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Prime is the shiznit. If you don't have it, you should get it. Worth. Every. Penny.

You'll need a 5/8ths(?) Spark Plug socket in 3/8ths drive, and either a u-jointed socket wrench, or one with a flex/swivel/articulation in it. Also a 10mm socket to remove the bolts on the coilpacks.

You can do this, it's pretty basic. I assume the actual task is fairly self-explanatory?

I bought those very same iridium plugs and then asked a mechanic to replace them for me,,,he quit after a half hour,,,,

I'm not saying he was incompetent but,,,,,but,,he was incompetent.

It's just that these plugs on the turbo 2.5's are not easy to get to like,,like my 71 Karman Ghia..

Thanks for all the suggestions,,and by the way my local sube dealership wanted $ 250.00 for a plug change.

I've decided to have all my work done at AZP ....

The changes in car maintenance has not really been incremental it's been in quantum leaps as manufactures did everything they possibly could to make you come to a dealership where a total hosing is what could be expected.

Again thanks,,but I wonder is it just subaru who makes routine maintenance difficult or is it widespread.I always gave sube the benefit of the doubt because of their insistence of AWD on all it's vehicles.

• Moderators
Routine maintenance on these cars isn't difficult, IMO. oil changes, diff fluid changes, brakes, etc--all exactly the same as other cars. Spark plugs are slightly more difficult that a motor that has plugs right on top, but seriously they're not that difficult with a handful of extensions and universal joints for your socket set. Definitely wouldn't say the REQUIRE a trip to the dealer.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Bingo, AZP is the place to go.

Let us know if Mike recommends changing the plugs. Only 25k...I'd leave them in there.

It's the old timing belt you might want to spend money on...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I recently did my 90K service (Plugs, Coolant, fluids and belts) the worst part was burping the system :lol: I have a set of swivel head ratchet wrenches makes short work of the driver side rear (Cyl 3) I had to remove the air pump duct but thats minor.

Ive done plugs on a EJ255 3 times now (05 LGT, 10 WRX, my 09 LGT) I have to agree they arent that bad as you may hear.

I thought this was the cylinder numbering:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/attachments/f66/1248d1145383135-cylinder-numbering-2.5l-n-scheme.gif

FWIW, Bank 1 is 1 & 3 Bank 2 is 2 & 4

You'll be happy you know that when you get the CEL...

If that infographic is correct, then how does 4 starve for fuel if, according to the diagram it's closest to the fuel lines as they enter the engine bay?

Archived