LegacyGT.com

Anyone try 225/50/R17?

markbrotens

I'm in Winnipeg and trying to buy some used winter tires. Since low profile 17" winter tires don't come up very often, I can't be too picky. I found 2 sets of 4 tires. One is Michelin X-ice 225/50/R17 and the other is Nokian (not specified) of the same size.

First of all, will this size even fit on my 2005 Legacy GT with stock rims? In Xenonk's incredibly awesome tire sizing Thread he mentions that the 235/45/R17 is the tallest tire you can use, but a 225/50/R17 is 1.4cm taller (I believe). I am not lowered.

Secondly, which of these would you recommend? I know the Nokians aren't specified, but say they are even the base Hakka.

Anything you have to add would be appreciated!

Well a 225/50r17 will both be wider..which is okay, but much taller than ur factory tire. I imagine on a factory suspension car you probably wont rub at all, but it will defiently look big.

I would look at the speed ratings on those tires and see which is higher. The old X ice is Q rated if i remeber correct, which is extremely soft. Legacies come with H(or higher?) from factory. By going to Such a low rated tire, you will loose lots of braking and handling characteristics in dry weather....

Stg 2 with shitty handling and poor braking wiill get you into trouble...

This by the way comming from a owner of a Tire Shop...

They wont fit unless you have Bilstien's like the Spec. B I have 225/50/17's on my '07 Spec (Discount Tire recommended them last winter as a package for the Spec B, not the LGT) and they are damn close to the Strut. 225/50/R17's will not fit on your '05

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

I cannot 100% confirm, but I am pretty sure through discussion here on the board that it will not clear the strut on a regular GT because of the shape of the struts in the front of the car. I can tell you that I have a little more than a finger of room between the strut and the tire in the front and if I dont clear snow out of the fender well after it has been sitting i rub on the strut.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Archived