LegacyGT.com

Using The Ebay/VAG-COM Cable To Datalog

qikslvr

Important update from iNVAR on 11/28/13:

Only certain VAGCOM cables will work 100% and I happen to have this cable. Please see post #16 regarding the actual differences. In summation, so far only a cable using FT232BL has been confirmed to work and all other cables only work partially or not at all. Before purchasing, make sure it is FT232BL.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...40-214994.html

Alright since there are several people trying to get this cable to work; I figured I would throw out some very basic steps that I used to get mine and several others working properly with some of the popular OS logging software.

First off you will need a driver for the cable that is not included with it. This is the winXP driver we use: FTDI 2.04.06

Other are available here : http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm (link to driver page http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm)

Extract the .zip file and remember where you put it as you will need it when you plug the cable into the usb port and the install box pops up. During the driver install; point Windows Installer to the folder where you placed the unzipped files and install the driver.

You may need to adjust the cable's/driver's COM port settings in order to get it to work properly:

First, go into Device Manager for Windows(right click "my computer" on desktop, go to properties, then hardware tab and click "device manager button)

Then look under ports(COM and LPT) for the FTDI port(cable must be plugged into the computer at this point) and right click and go into properties for the FTDI cable driver.

Then go to the settings tab and look at the BAUD Rate. If it is 9600; you will need to drop the box change it to 4800.

This should slow the data rate of the driver/port and allow the cable to connect to the car's ECU properly. Be sure to note the COM port number assigned to the FTDI port as you will need to select it in the logging software.

I was also able to get this cable to work with ECUflash.

The software I used to read my ECU image/ROM is available here: http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=EcuFlash

I and others have also used it to datalog with RR.

This is meant to be a quick start or install thread, not a be all end all solution for everybody. You will still need to learn how to use each software package. I would like for this to be a thread where we can all share our knowledge as it relates to this piece of hardware and any software that it works with.

Let's keep this discussion positive and feel free to ask questions. Myself and others will do our best to assist in any way possible. My only problem with tech support at the moment is that I don't have one of these cables in my posession. I guess I'll need to buy another.

THIS CABLE WILL

NOT

WORK WITH CAN-BUS(2007+) ECU's.

This cable works only with 05-06 LGT's

However, if you have done ANY research into the subject; you would know that. That is the reason they created the Tactrix v2 cable...

Edited by SBT
Updated by INVAR
Let's kick this pig!

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
is there no driver available for install on the vista operating system? i have an autonostics cable and i need to flash and log with it. i have ecuflash and romraider currently on my laptop

That driver page that qikslvr linked to (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm) shows the first driver there as being compatible with Vista.

Very cool post. I hAD that exact cable and could not get it to work for the life of me...it's funny, some had no issues, other did (me).

$80 Tactrix cable did me fine!

Rehab is for quitters.

Thanks for that link Greg. That's the one we were looking for in my garage that night and ended up at the site I linked to.

Ya it actually doesn't work. I'm just yankin all yer chains:lol:.

Let's kick this pig!

$15? :lol:

This will make a lot of pre-CAN Subaru owners happy, I'm sure.

The only problem is that this cable does not work for everyone. I tried EVERYTHING to get his to work...it would work sometime but mostly not..I ended up buying a Tactix and never had a problem....

Rehab is for quitters.

The only problem is that this cable does not work for everyone. I tried EVERYTHING to get his to work...it would work sometime but mostly not..I ended up buying a Tactix and never had a problem....

could have been an issue with the com ports. Its odd that yours doesnt work but just about everyone elses is. Maybe you had a bad cable

could have been an issue with the com ports. Its odd that yours doesnt work but just about everyone elses is. Maybe you had a bad cable

I DK. It worked off and on...it would just shut down on me. I bit the bullet and bot the Tactirx. Never had an issue from there.

Rehab is for quitters.