LegacyGT.com

ecutek

05gtlimited300

^ Crank? Wheels? What type of dyno?

What level of hardware modification?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

just make or choose a map that closest fits your mods, if you put stage 2 and your not stage 2 your gonna trick your computer and its gonna give more air then your car can handle (thats only one thing that could happen overheating, running rich, damage maf sensor ect.......)....

^ Agreed.

"Stage II" (note that an ECUTeK'ed vehicle really doesn't have this kind of nomenclature, as the "Stage" designations are more a Cobb thing), when spoken of in Cobb's "Staging" terms, carries with it - at the very least - the critical cat-removed downpipe (be it a shorty, removing just the first post-turbo cat, or a full-length, which will remove both post-turbo cats), paired with a ECU-reflash.

Using a map designed for the airflow management of a de-catted system, post-turbo, in a car which carries those restrictions in-place, is sure to spell disaster - and sooner rather than later at that.

If you're getting an ECUTeK reflash through a tuning-session either on-dyno or via street runs, then you can rest assured that your tuner will match the map to your vehicle's hardware, and seek to optimize.

If you're getting an "off-the-shelf"/generic ECUTeK map, for self-reflashing using EasyECU, then please be sure that the hardware profile matches that of which you have on your vehicle.

Note, finally, that different tuners "Stage" vehicles differently. What's "Stage I" for one tuner may be "Stage 0" for another. Check thoroughly with your vehicle tuner or map/ECUTeK vendor to seek out proper understanding of exactly what's entailed at each level. Be SPECIFIC to hardware, not just "Stage" convention, which is arbitrary at best. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ ?

Reading that over and over again, bro, I just can't figure out if you mean that it's realistic, or not? :)

• 1 month later...
I am getting Ecutek'd next weekend and have done a bit of research...'Stage 1' is supposed to add 40-50 HP to the crank so I assume it IS realisitic...
Rehab is for quitters.

I have a EcuTek mapping in my LGT...and I don't think it comes with power stages like COBB's AP. It's more customized....which I think is better. On the negative side, I had to get an update after just doing a few new mods. Plus, you need to have a good installer...he needs to know his stuff...in order to give you the fullest potential....w/o ruining your engine.

300hp sounds like a lot just with ecu re-mapping.

KevinH

You won't get 300 crank hp with just an ECU reflash. It is likely you are around 260. Did you dyno'ed it before the ECU flash? Any datalogs? These would help a lot...

Upgrade the stock mufflers, and you will get around 280 crank hp (around a stock STi power) with a good tune - and a good tuner :)

I'd have to again agree with the others, with just a reflash, that's unlikely - sure, given an optimistic enough dyno and an optimistic enough tuner, it's possible, but honestly, that's really looking on the bright side of things.

My vehicle was first ECUTeK'ed with the addition of a Crucial UP and Crucial shorty DP, as well as a Perrin Short-Ram intake. I gained about 25 wHP from baseline, which was a baseline with the aforementioned hardware.

Granted, this was on a notoriously low-reading Mustang dyno, but still, you get the idea.

Reflashing stock? Like the others said, I don't think you'll get quite what you want.

So you guys are saying that a Cobb...base, generic map is giving adding another 50 bhp but a custom ecutek tune giving less?

You're on drugs. Why would and off the shelf Cobb map reflash add more power than something custom?

I expect another 40+ to the crank after my pro tune.

Rehab is for quitters.

A COBB base stage II map with a aftermarket DP will give you 50chp...If the ecutek equipped car had a DP also yes you would see those gains & maybe a little better. Another 5-10 most likely

Without a DP though the gains would be about the same as a stage I COBB vehicle 30-35chp

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

^ Precisely.

TPLGT, we're just thinking that you're perhaps a bit too excited, a bit too optimistic (whether or not this is fueled by either marketing claims or by the tuner, I honestly don't know, nor care). :)

If you get on an optimistic dyno, on a good day, sure, I'm not saying that you can't or won't see the numbers that you'd like - you just might.

But dynos are simply tuning tools. Unless you're a dyno queen and like to put up higher and higher numbers, in which case you're going to want the most optimistic reading dyno around, what's actually important is the before-after tune comparison of the vehicle, and that doesn't necessarily carry-through to just the single "peak power" number reported.

Not only is more area-under-the-curve going to make more of a difference, but so will how smooth your new curve will be after a custom tune - and even then, that only tells half the story - subjective driveability differences and the vehicle's on-road behavior is just as important, and can be drastically impacted by the tuner's abilities and even his/her personal tastes.

Don't get too hung-up on the numbers. :)

But dynos are simply tuning tools. Unless you're a dyno queen and like to put up higher and higher numbers, in which case you're going to want the most optimistic reading dyno around, what's actually important is the before-after tune comparison of the vehicle, and that doesn't necessarily carry-through to just the single "peak power" number reported.

Not only is more area-under-the-curve going to make more of a difference, but so will how smooth your new curve will be after a custom tune - and even then, that only tells half the story - subjective driveability differences and the vehicle's on-road behavior is just as important, and can be drastically impacted by the tuner's abilities and even his/her personal tastes.

Don't get too hung-up on the numbers. :)

I swear - this ought to be a sticky at the top of every forum.

-

Jim

A COBB base stage II map with a aftermarket DP will give you 50chp...If the ecutek equipped car had a DP also yes you would see those gains & maybe a little better. Another 5-10 most likely

Without a DP though the gains would be about the same as a stage I COBB vehicle 30-35chp

Agree. You'll never get 50chp with a base stage1 map. Or at least not "safe" 50chp.

I have ProDrive mufflers, other than that, all stock. EcuTEK gave me around 25-30 chp plus with that setup, safely (not dyno'd yet). However we COULD go further, like aiming 300 chp, but the stock cats do not like stage2 exhaust temperatures, so I stayed with that setup until I have UP/DP replaced. The real big difference it makes, that the car is pulling real hard from 2800rpm until 6000rpm, rather from 3500 like stock cars - and have super smooth curves ALL THE WAY. Fuel economy is about the same, no change here.

Actually it looks really promising, my tuner did not believed how much potential our 2.5 engine has. It is clear from the datalogs, that my stock turbo is making a constant 1.14 bar (about 16.5 psi) and tops at 1.18 bar (17 psi). Will post the datalogs as soon as I get my hands on them :)

TSi+XRX is right..."Don't get hung up on the numbers". It's so easy to fudge numbers too....everyone does it. SPT claims the cold air intake adds 15-30 hp....early hybrids advertised 7-10 + mpg than actual...even more exaggerated than gas cars claimed. Cobb's 50hp gain sounds a bit high too. Everybody's just trying to sell something. The better the numbers...the more you sell.
KevinH

OK..I was less informed before reading this.

Now I have been schooled/educated...haha. I am not hung up on numbers as a matter of fact my tuner is street tuning my car..no dyno available. I assume his laptop will show numbers??

Anyway, I was always under the impression that Cobb Stage 1 (reflash) and Ecutek reflash were about the same gains in chp..45-50...I guess that is not the case.

All I care about is being able to feel/notice the difference in power. Stock, the car is quick and I grin everytime I hammer it. I suspect I will be quite happy.

I intend to get a UP/DP combo at somepoint..then I will have the car tuned again. While I am on this topic...can someone answer this:

How do the UP/Dp make the car sound? Is it throatier, riced out, or nothing?

Thanks for all of the info....I am very much looking forward to seeing the results of my tune!

Rehab is for quitters.

OK..I was less informed before reading this.

Now I have been schooled/educated...haha.

We've all gotta learn - I learn new things here everyday, which is why I'm still here. :) It's no fun if you're not learning! :)

When I first had my LGT tuned, I was, honestly, disappointed at the raw numbers - back then, I simply didn't know enough to know better. :redface: It wasn't until someone put things in-perspective for me, showing me that the STis and EVO MRs which were up on the dyno that very same day were putting out numbers well below what I had achieved as the final tune on my car, that I began to realize that there's more to a tune than just the numbers that pop up on the screen.

As of my last tune (second tune), my car now sits at 222 wHP and 265 wTQ on local Shell V-Power 93.

A ProTUNE'd STi, the vehicle in front of mine, put down 263 wHP and 297 wTQ. On his off-the-shelf Cobb Stage II map, his STi pulled a baseline of 227 wHP and 242 wTQ.

His ProTUNE was running 20 to 21 PSI.

I asked my tuner for a safe, conservative boost level, and I typically only see spikes to 18 PSI when it's really cold out. My current tune runs at about 17.5 PSI, max, on the stock LGT turbo and TMIC.

My current peak wTQ is significantly higher than what I had before, however, my peak wHP is only about 7 higher. The real story, though, is how much farther right my graph has shifted, and how much fatter it is overall. It drives like a totally different beast.

Like I said before, you've simply gotta put things in-perspective.

I am not hung up on numbers as a matter of fact my tuner is street tuning my car..no dyno available. I assume his laptop will show numbers??

DeltaDash does have a road-dyno setup. As long as he inputs the parameters correctly, you should have a fairly accurate result. But remember, it's still just a number.

Anyway, I was always under the impression that Cobb Stage 1 (reflash) and Ecutek reflash were about the same gains in chp..45-50...I guess that is not the case.

You might want to check brother wukindada's post again.

Quoting directly from the Cobb Tuning website:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=2436

Stage 1 Power Package

This is where to start your quest for additional power and response from the Legacy GT. Included is the highly regarded AccessPORT which is used to reprogram the factory engine computer, unlocking an additional 35 HP (power) and 40 lb-ft (torque) from a stock Legacy GT and increases boost to approximately 15psi.

Requires no tools or mechanical knowledge to install. The AccessPORT does all the work of programming the factory ECU for you, just simply plug it into the factory service diagnosis port located below the steering wheel. Follow the on-screen instructions and within 10 minutes you'll be out driving, enjoying your new found performance.

And the chart below is directly off their official website, too.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/images_products/3133.jpg

Where are you getting your figures of "45-50 cHP" from, TPLGT?

All I care about is being able to feel/notice the difference in power. Stock, the car is quick and I grin everytime I hammer it. I suspect I will be quite happy.

^ Of this concern, as long as your tuner is competent, I have no doubt that you'll feel a difference. :)

I intend to get a UP/DP combo at somepoint..then I will have the car tuned again. While I am on this topic...can someone answer this:

How do the UP/Dp make the car sound? Is it throatier, riced out, or nothing?

An UP/DP combo typically will change your in-cabin characteristics a little - you'll notice more turbo-spool noise, and typically, wastegate flutter will be more noticeable, too.

How you may perceive this change, though, is totally dependent on your subjective tastes. :)

Holy smokes! I have been on this board for 1 year+....and I feel like a noob...even after daily surfing of this place....

40-50+ HP???...I guess I just pulled it out of my ass....The cobb chart does say 290hp using 93(all I use) and with stock HP (2006) at 250....that=40 hp....

An increase of 40 HP is a lot...atleast to me so I would assume I most certainly will feel the difference.

As far as the UP/DP...I think I am going to move to that after my first tune. I am a fairly 'conservative' person and am in sales so I cannot have my car (daily driver) sounding like I belong at the track....Although a throaty sound would be great...I guess it's on.

I really enjoy this site and I certainly appreciate all of the input!!

TP

Rehab is for quitters.

Archived