LegacyGT.com

05 LGT on it's menstrual cycle again.

Don't really know where to go from here. Spent 3K on repairs at the Subaru doctor (Brooklyn Park, MN Subaru) and right back to square one. Ran great for 2 weeks and out of the blue here we are again. After 2 ECU's and 2 BIU's and now a new multi meter ( instrument cluster), the car is still doing the start and die thing that it started with. Looks like I'm going to have to pull it in the garage and just start tracing every circuit one by one.

With the new cluster I still can't get the seat belt chime delete to stay and my DRL indicator light does not come on. Don't really care about the light, but can't figure out why a brand new cluster light doesn't work. Might have to call the service dept on that one. The seat belt chime thing might be part of the problem though.:iam:

I would really appreciate anyone's input or explosives at this point.

If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at this point are you getting any error codes?

this is a way out there guess, but maybe your fpcm is bad? after a few seconds of being commanded to run at 100% it goes to 33% duty cycle. maybe the fpcm (or related, like fuel pump) is having a hard time with the lower duty cycle? although this wouldn't explain why replacing the ecu fixed it for a while.

think it might be worth posting up a log of when it starts and dies?

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

no idea what it could be but if i can be of any help i have a full 2005 im parting out, every module, wiring, computer etc. also have a 2006

You may very well be hearing from me.

I would say try and get a cluster, immo, keys and lock assembly from a donor car.

All are brand new OEM items installed at the dealer for the tidy sum of 3K plus.

Since you have already replaced suspect devices without success I would suspect something simpler but harder to find, so I suggest a few possible things:

Check battery voltage.

If one cell is shorted the voltage may become too low causing strange problems like memory loss on some devices.

And put a volt meter into the lighter outlet in the cabin just to see if problems coincide with voltage hiccups.

And a list of possible problems:

• Grounding problem or problem with any of the wires to/from the battery.
  • The main fuse (120 A) in the main fuse box (under the hood) may have a bad connection.
  • The 50 A fuse SBF-8 in the main fuse box may have bad connection or be faulty.
  • Fuse 7 (15A) in the cabin fuse box may be bad or have a bad connection. This one feeds the IC (Instrument Cluster) and the BIU (Body Integrated Unit).
  • Check Fuse 13 in the main fuse box. (This feeds the OBD port and the ECM)
  • A connector in the wiring harness may be bad. This includes connectors on the back side of the fuse boxes.

453747.png

How's the 2 grounding motor wires on the bottom? One on each side connected to the frame. Had a similar problem in my Bimmer, until I notice the motor ground wire/cable had snapped off.

^^^This! ! You need all of the grounds that Subaru puts on the car to ensure that it works right. If you have time to put 18518964885 more grounds on it, do it. You can never have too many ground points.

Also check the battery voltage too. Battery=Heart. Without the heart, the car will die.

I assume the dealer/mechanic check all the grounding points on the car. But just to rule it out, did they?

Yes and I even added 4 others. I talked to the tech that has performed all of the work on the car and he started in 19 years of Subaru service he has NEVER had one do this.

I feel special:eek:

Checked the MAF. Changed it with my wife's and no difference. Alternator has been checked. Still does it with alternator unplugged. Output of alternator is good.

Checked the MAF. Changed it with my wife's and no difference. Alternator has been checked. Still does it with alternator unplugged. Output of alternator is good.

That really suck bro! I hope you can figure it out and get it running right again!

So how did the dealer fix it last time? Was was the last thing they installed to finally get it running - ecu? biu? instrument cluster? Did they give any other clues?

So curious that it would run for 2 weeks and do it again.

Could you maybe post a quick video of it starting/stopping?

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

I will get a vid soon. I am leaving the battery disconnected over night. Seems to stay running for some reason when it's not hooked up for an extended period. After that though it starts all over again. Will know more in the AM.

When this happens the security light in the dash stays on solid. The car will not restart unless I turn off the ignition. The security light will not go out until the key is removed from the ignition switch. It will always start and shut off. Sometimes immediately, sometimes it will run for a few seconds and die. Very random.

The last part installed by the dealer was the Instrument cluster.

Like I previously posted, so far 2 ECU's. 2 BIU's. Now a new cluster.

Archived