LegacyGT.com

Comparison of USDM, JDM & COBB bars

vel0mac

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not heard of the front problem and mine are all great...in short WTF are you talking about?

J

Did you read this thread?? Some people are reporting that the front swaybar is too short, so the endlinks are at an extreme angle, which could make them break off. That is a problem. OTOH, some people don't have this problem. I have no idea why. There was a guy on these forums a week or two ago that had the same issue with his Cobb front bar.

Found it: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=874112&postcount=23

Look at the first photo.

Sorry about that. I didn't mean to sound angry with that previous post there...

Anyway... it seems very strange that some people have no problems, while others have the issue shown in the link I posted.

It's likely they just don't have the eye to notice.. That seems to be most common, in general, but seems a bit exaggerated in the automotive aftermarket..

Did you read this thread?? Some people are reporting that the front swaybar is too short, so the endlinks are at an extreme angle, which could make them break off. That is a problem. OTOH, some people don't have this problem. I have no idea why. There was a guy on these forums a week or two ago that had the same issue with his Cobb front bar.

Found it: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=874112&postcount=23

Look at the first photo.

At one point, before I bought the COBB's and did my modifications, I called the local Subaru dealer and asked them if the LGT and OBXT bars were the same p/n. The answer I got was, "It depends on the exact date of manufacture."

So, I ASSumed (yes, I know what happends when one assumes) that there could be a difference between the sub-frames of the two cars based on when they were built, etc... Also, right about the time that I had my one and only end-link failure, I sent Trey Cobb the previously posted write-up and he told me that the LGT they had in their shop did not look like my OBXT in terms of the extra space near the outer bends. Again, this points to a slightly different sub-frame (and it may be a manufacturing date issue as well).

If there are differences based on mfg dates, then it is not reasonable to expect COBB to cover all possible scenarios when the issue may be a dimensional change to the sub-frame. While I agree it is best if their bars fit all models and dates, the fix that I found is really inexpensive and it works great. I have had no problems since I wrote this initial post.

And no, I do NOT work for or represent COBB in any way. However, I did have great customer service from COBB (Trey and I corresponded quite a bit over my findings), which for me goes a long way especially compared to most other companies out there. And I'm willing to give them some 'slack' because I know how difficult it is to make aftermarket parts/fitments when you don't have all the manufacturer's specifications and you are trying to reverse engineer from one or two data points -- all of which are based on a poorly documented target platform.

• 1 month later...
Sorry about that. I didn't mean to sound angry with that previous post there...

Anyway... it seems very strange that some people have no problems, while others have the issue shown in the link I posted.

As near as I can tell, there are no problems w/ LGT , OBXT is a problem. F&R sways on a LGT wagon are fantastic. And no bumbs thumps ETC>

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Just installed the Cobb Fr and Rr sways on my 07 OBXT - so far no issues.

Of note, I previously owned a WRX wagon and had a set of Cobb Sways for that vehichle - when I sold the WRX, I removed the sways and have been trying to sell them. At the time, I didn't realize that Cobb used the same front swaybar for all Subaru's, so I bought another set, this time of the 05+ LGT bars. After receipt of the new bars, I read that they were indeed the same bar. What was interesting was that when I held the old WRX bar against the new LGT bar, the old bar was ~ 1/2" longer, so I used that one instead of the new one.

After install, I have had zero clunking AND with Velo's washer solution, I have had zero issues, and the angles of the stock endlinks look very acceptable (almost vertical). Also, of note, I have only used one set of washers (1 per side), Velo recommends 2 washers per side. As a precaution, I also installed the collars to prevent the bar "walking from side to side", but based on the endlink angles, I don't think they are necessary. So far so good (looking for some wood).

In terms of performance - The vehichle feels much more stable at high speeds, cornering is improved - feels like more power is hitting the pavement, and none of that sea-sick ocean motion anymore.

Oh yeah, and I am still on stock rubber, so it will only improve when I replace the treads.

Thanks for the report. That's very useful info about the Cobb front sway... so we can shop for any WRX or LGT bar and use it?

Thanks!

Just installed the Cobb Fr and Rr sways on my 07 OBXT - so far no issues.

Of note, I previously owned a WRX wagon and had a set of Cobb Sways for that vehichle - when I sold the WRX, I removed the sways and have been trying to sell them. At the time, I didn't realize that Cobb used the same front swaybar for all Subaru's, so I bought another set, this time of the 05+ LGT bars. After receipt of the new bars, I read that they were indeed the same bar. What was interesting was that when I held the old WRX bar against the new LGT bar, the old bar was ~ 1/2" longer, so I used that one instead of the new one.

• 4 weeks later...

oh yeah, great writeup! almost forgot to give you your kudos! people like you are a definite asset to this forum.

do you or anyone know off-hand if are there any changes from the 05 geometry to the 07? ie: can I recreate your solution exactly even though I'm 2 years late?

Thanks again,

Ed

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
are the front and rear cobb swaybars still on your car? and if they are, are they still working well? I think if they are working for you still, I will try your solution.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Sorry for the VERY late reply! I have been in Europe for several months, then immediately into a new job, so I have not been logging in to this site much lately.

Yes, the bars are still on the car, and yes all is still working very well. If I had it to do all over again I would do the exact same thing. I'm very happy with it.

Good luck.

oh yeah, great writeup! almost forgot to give you your kudos! people like you are a definite asset to this forum.

do you or anyone know off-hand if are there any changes from the 05 geometry to the 07? ie: can I recreate your solution exactly even though I'm 2 years late?

Thanks again,

Ed

You are welcome. I do not know about any changes between '05 and '07, I don't follow it that closely. It may be worth a call to the dealer to check OEM p/n.

velomac, could you put up a quick schematic or describe the dimensions of the actual spacers you made?

Bore / OD / etc...

Thanks!

Hi,

The spacers that I made were made from 3/4" (19mm) diameter stainless. They have a 10.5mm hole and are 5mm long.

McMaster-Carr has fixturing washers that are almost identical, and had I known this beforehand I would have just bought them. Here is the McMaster p/n: 94768A106

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

VelOmac - most excellent write up - Thanks for the link from the cobbforums posted by Dasbigunit.

Riddle me this forum members - the city streets here in Spokane Washington are riddled with potholes. Given that the speed on these is 25-35 mph - Would the potholes just raddle my bones if I ungraded the swaybars?

jdkobe

I think that you are interested more in a modification of dampers(shocks and struts), springs, and even tires for the potholes. The anti roll bars or sway bars are using torsional force across the width of the car to keep the car from "leaning" during cornering. This also affects steering response (quick left and right motion) mildly in addition to other things. The leaning is affecting the front and rear, how much lean, etc. that is also transmitted to the steering wheel and affects how the car "feels" during cornering. They are an integral part of handling along with the dampers, springs, etc., but it sounds like driving straight and hitting potholes doesnt come into play unless you are cornering hard, AND hitting potholes.

I actually just installed the MR Coilovers Front and Rear, and ended up only changing out the rears for the COBBS even though I had all the McMaster parts on hand.

I think I'll leave it like this for the rest of the summer. It feels a lot more neutral (almost ZERO understeer), which is great fun. When winter starts coming around, I think that's when I'll put in the front COBB swaybar back in and let a little mild understeer come back for safety.