LegacyGT.com

High pitched noise - where is it coming from?

My 08 LGT is making a high pitched noise that I cannot figure out the source. It sounds like it a rotational noise but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Both front wheel bearings were replaced 3 weeks ago and there has been no change in the noise. When I turn the wheel to the right, the noise always goes away. Also, when I brake the noise always goes away.

Any ideas are really appreciated. Thank you!

Recording of the noise:

Clunking is the sound of the suspension going over bumps/potholes on the highway. Suspension is Swift springs, Koni yellow struts/shocks, Hotchkis F&R sway bars and end links and Perrin positive steering offset kit.

No backfiring.

I have tried listening inside the engine bay but since the noise isn't consistent I haven't been able to hear it when I've been listening.

Sorry, I should have added this info earlier, it's a 5EAT-S.

Only when driving. It's not a consistent noise though and I haven't figured out what triggers it. Distance, speed, ambient temp, bumpy vs smooth roads don't seem to consistently trigger the noise or amplify the noise.

I hope that makes sense.

The pitch is pretty consistent. Your question got me thinking and I don't recall hearing the noise above 70/75 mph. The speed of the noise changes with the speed of the car which is why I think it may be something rotational but I'm not sure.

You said you had the front bearing replaced recently, what about the rears? My rear bearings went out before my fronts, and I remember hearing the sound of marbles in a tin can. You may want to inspect the rear bearings.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Lol, at 1st I was like the cars not moving, haha. Seeing how it changes when you slightly turn the wheel it's more then likely in the brakes. 1.The small clips that are under the pads can just be out of line a little bit and the sway of the car makes the rotor just touch them. 2. Or it's the brake pad warning tabs. 3. Or it's the rotor touching the backing plate. These are typical items that make that noise when you turn the wheel. Very easy to fix if you can do a front brake job you can check those 3 items.

Archived