LegacyGT.com

Brembo Upgrade----Parts List

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
FWIW, I just bought on craigslist a used set of STI Gold Brembos (front and rear) with used rotors and pads (with life) for $800. I have always wanted to rebuild some brakes - should be fun.

• 2 months later...
Will the OEM rims fit over these or am I gonna have to get bigger rims along with the new brakes?

You got a 2012 LGT, correct? You will need minimum of 17mm spacers. The OEM 18" wheel hoops clear the Brembos, but the spokes will not mostly because of their offset.

You either need different wheels or these, 4 of them.

Edited by GTEASER

Thanks for the quick response teaser. Yeah I have a 2012 I really wanna do this before I go stage 2 because I've got 75k on my car and the stock brakes are gonna be cashed in about a year at most so I'll need to replace them. I know if I go stage 2 first and replace the brakes with OEMs I'll end up regretting it. Now I just need to decide whether to slowly start getting the brakes and suspension ready for stage 2 or to save up for a while and just do it all at once. For the record do the spacers in that link come with all four corners for 128 or are they 128 each?

Haha every time I log on I find something new I wanna do if my wallet had emotions it would hate this site, but yeah that's pretty much what I'm thinking especially if the spacers are 128 a piece. If I wait to do everything at once it'll probably cost me as much as a down payment on a new car. Of course I would never get rid of my GT there really is something special about these 5th gens that I just cant put my finger on. What size and offset rim would I need? Anyone got any recommendations?

Haha every time I log on I find something new I wanna do if my wallet had emotions it would hate this site, but yeah that's pretty much what I'm thinking especially if the spacers are 128 a piece. If I wait to do everything at once it'll probably cost me as much as a down payment on a new car. Of course I would never get rid of my GT there really is something special about these 5th gens that I just cant put my finger on. What size and offset rim would I need? Anyone got any recommendations?

From this link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D2239019&ved=0CBwQFjAAahUKEwi5wPDcuY3HAhWHjQ0KHVS5Ajw&usg=AFQjCNGqgV0RUSbvFmPhDQkRgC91xXyWFw&sig2=JJxPCz0VyLDFCHuSgRD1_A, it seems the 2008-14 Stis run 18x8.5 +55 to clear brembos

FWIW, the stock GT brakes are pretty good. I track my car with the stock rotors and calipers and use Carbotech pads. I have used XP12 and XP8. They are dusty, but they do a helluva good job of stopping the car and the stock rotors are stout. I run rear STi Brembos and those will clear the stock wheels just fine.

Don't our Legacies have a 5x100 bolt pattern and those 08 plus STI rims have a 5x114? If that the case wouldn't I need spacers for those anyway?

That is correct that the STIs run a 5x114.3 bolt pattern vs our 5x100. I was just using their specs as reference as to what wheel diameter, width and offset might fit. Not 100% sure but would a difference in bolt pattern but with same specs otherwise possibly cause a conflict with brembo clearance?

FWIW, the stock GT brakes are pretty good. I track my car with the stock rotors and calipers and use Carbotech pads. I have used XP12 and XP8. They are dusty, but they do a helluva good job of stopping the car and the stock rotors are stout. I run rear STi Brembos and those will clear the stock wheels just fine.

Do you think stage 2 power levels will wear the stocks out faster?

Don't our Legacies have a 5x100 bolt pattern and those 08 plus STI rims have a 5x114? If that the case wouldn't I need spacers for those anyway?

He's not recommending that you get rims from an STI. He's giving you the wheels specs that the STI run because they clear Brembos and you can then find any wheels of your choosing that run a similar spec. (Edit: beaten to the punch)

Often times, aftermarket wheels that are compatible with big breaks will often say as much. For example: http://www.wedswheelsna.com/weds/wedssport/tc105n/

TC-105N is designed to accommodate many big-brake kits on the market.

Do you think stage 2 power levels will wear the stocks out faster?

It depends only on your use of Stage2 with your right foot. Get going fast, gotta haul it down fast. As long as your brakes are working well and you have enough rotor left, just put some new pads on there (and new OEM rotors if necessary), Hawk HPS or something, and enjoy. Also do a full fluid flush and brake bleed.

FWIW, I have been pursuing a Brembo upgrade for a few months now, have made plenty of mistakes, and intend to share write-up will upon completion. That being said, here is my advice.

Unless you are buying new Brembos, rockauto.com sells the cheapest, most complete (but refurbished) Brembos around (new pads, new seals, new hardware, new paint, etc.). It is very, very, frick'n very unlikely that you'll be able to buy a used pair of Brembos--let alone refurbish a used pair--for less than what you pay at rockauto. The only issue is availability of rockauto.com, but if you diligently search the part numbers every day, I suspect you can get a complete set in less than a month. The part numbers are as follows:

Fronts (each is about $244): 14247040, 14247039

Rears (08+) (each is about $217): 14247532, 14247531

Rears (07-) (each is about $182): 14247517, 14247518 (these require adapter brackets from KNS - $250 for both)

In other words, for roughly $900, you can get a complete set of refurb'd Brembos, and the only thing you need after that is rotors ($400 or so).....

EDIT: It has been brought to my attention my reputable folks on the forum that the "Brembos" sold on rockauto.com may not be genuine Brembos.

Or, you can choose the route I chose along with a seemingly endless line of ignorant Subaru owners, which is as follows:

(1) Scour NASIOC, craigslist, etc. for a "good" deal of used Brembos (I paid $800 but they came with rotors, pads, and older WRX adapter brackes I could sell -- what a deal! note the sarcasm).

(2) Tear apart the Brembos (because you/I don't trust the seller--because why would you trust anybody who is selling Brembos out of a trunk in a parking lot), strip the paint of the Brembos.

(3) Spend hours scouring the internet for the cheapest, reliable rebuild parts/kits such as, e.g., bleeders, bleeder caps, seals, boots, crossover O-rings, etc. (at least $100 when everything is said and done -- BTW, rockauto.com has the cheapest parts by-far)

(3.5) Endlessly debate and shop around for wheels spacers, new rims, new tires, etc. FWIW, it is pretty easy to find cheap WRX rims that'll fit Brembos with a 3mm spacer (which probably don't need new studs)

(4) Find a competent powdercoater, and get brakes coated ($150).

(5) Realize that you might as well buy new front rotors since you need to buy new rear rotors to fit over the parking brake ($400), buy new pads because you need new pads for your new rotors (at least $100).

(6) Buy SS brake lines because you're already losing your ass (the Mach V ones are hella-nice - $120).

(7) Realize that the rotors are hardly bigger than the stock LGT rotors and cry yourself to sleep at night.

(8) Show off your sweet blue Brembos at subie meets, drink booze with others who followed your same Brembo path, share each other's pain....

(9) Justify the madness by telling others that "you always wanted to learn exactly how brakes work."

(10) Go back to step (7).

Edited by mcg_
Grammar & New info.

• 3 weeks later...