LegacyGT.com

Valve cov gaskets - which to buy

Months ago it was determined that the engine that the previous owner installed into my 97 Outback Limited is a different year / model.

Osei said --- "Just rebuilt the same motor. 98 Forester originally. The curved hose is 807611071. Cost me almost $7 at my dealer.. The straight hose you can replace with the same size heater hose.

The 98 is still phase one. 48mm rod journals and thrust on #3."

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/coolant-hoses-need-parts-numbers-216797.html?p=4638159#post4638159

I am proceeding to adjust the valves and will need to replace the valve cover gaskets. I need a way to know with 100% certainty the model / year of my engine? The valve cover gasket sets are different part numbers when referenced on a Subaru Outback Limited 1997, 1998 or 1999.

The 2.5 can't have that many differences or can it??????

http://static.opposedforces.com/epc_img/383494802001.png

5 Gasket-rocker cover, no.2 4 13293AA040 alternate: 13293AA050 '96, November — '98, June 6 Gasket-rocker cover, left 1 13272AA062 alternate: 13272AA063 '96, November — '97, June '97, July — '97, September 13272AA081 alternate: 13272AA082 '97, June — '97, July '97, September — '98, May '98, May — '98, June 13272AA110 alternate: 13272AA111 '98, May — '98, June 7 Gasket-rocker cover, right 1 13270AA061 alternate: 13270AA062 '96, November — '97, June '97, July — '97, September 13270AA081 alternate: 13270AA082 '97, June — '97, July '97, September — '98, May '98, May — '98, June 13270AA110 alternate: 13270AA111 '98, May — '98, June 8 Cover complete-valve rocker, right 1 13264AA131 alternate: 13264AA160 '96, November — '97, June '97, July — '97, September 13264AA160 alternate: 13264AA190 '97, June — '97, July '97, September — '98, May '98, May — '98, June 13264AA190 '98, May — '98, June 9 Cover complete-valve rocker, left 1 13278AA111 alternate: 13278AA140 '96, November — '97, June '97, July — '97, September 13278AA140 alternate: 13278AA170 '97, June — '97, July '97, September — '98, May '98, May — '98, June 13278AA170

Opposed forces lists oem part numbers as listed above, for VC and plug seals.

O,

Thanks.

As soon as it is done snowing, as soon as it warms up I'll match this to my car. The question is when will it get warm outside?

Do you have anything that would show what a 1999 Outback 2.5 engine look like or are they the same?

http://static.opposedforces.com/epc_img/383494802001.png

5 Gasket-rocker cover, no.2 4 13293AA040 alternate: 13293AA050 '96, November — '98, June 6 Gasket-rocker cover, left 1 13272AA062 alternate: 13272AA063 '96, November — '97, June '97, July — '97, September 13272AA081 alternate: 13272AA082 '97, June — '97, July '97, September — '98, May '98, May — '98, June 13272AA110 alternate: 13272AA111 '98, May — '98, June 7 Gasket-rocker cover, right 1 13270AA061 alternate: 13270AA062 '96, November — '97, June '97, July — '97, September 13270AA081 alternate: 13270AA082 '97, June — '97, July '97, September — '98, May '98, May — '98, June 13270AA110 alternate: 13270AA111 '98, May — '98, June 8 Cover complete-valve rocker, right 1 13264AA131 alternate: 13264AA160 '96, November — '97, June '97, July — '97, September 13264AA160 alternate: 13264AA190 '97, June — '97, July '97, September — '98, May '98, May — '98, June 13264AA190 '98, May — '98, June 9 Cover complete-valve rocker, left 1 13278AA111 alternate: 13278AA140 '96, November — '97, June '97, July — '97, September 13278AA140 alternate: 13278AA170 '97, June — '97, July '97, September — '98, May '98, May — '98, June 13278AA170

Opposed forces lists oem part numbers as listed above, for VC and plug seals.

O,

The valve cover gaskets are the same on all of the EJ25D's that I've seen.

What has varied is the shape of the spark plug seals. Haven't seen enough to be definitive, but the EJ with the 48mm crank uses the oval type and the 52mm crank uses the rectangular type. Perhaps someone who sees more engines than I can correct if wrong.

The tolerances for the 48mm crank are .07-.09 for the intake and .09-.11 for the exhaust.

Hard to state your engine from here, as it seems it may not be the original. I say this because I have yet to see an EJ25D in a Legacy/Outback that has the oil cooler. I have only seen this on a Forester engine. Again looking for correction, if known otherwise.

O.

I know for a fact that it is not the original. Here are pics of the valve cover and gasket. The plug hole looks square to me. So I guess I have the 52 mm crank?

Maybe this can lead toward determining which gasket package to order.

What has varied is the shape of the spark plug seals. Haven't seen enough to be definitive, but the EJ with the 48mm crank uses the oval type and the 52mm crank uses the rectangular type. Perhaps someone who sees more engines than I can correct if wrong.

The tolerances for the 48mm crank are .07-.09 for the intake and .09-.11 for the exhaust.

Hard to state your engine from here, as it seems it may not be the original. I say this because I have yet to see an EJ25D in a Legacy/Outback that has the oil cooler. I have only seen this on a Forester engine. Again looking for correction, if known otherwise.

O.

IMG_20140327_104258.thumb.jpg.087c25368301b9c2818a8e935c6412f3.jpg

IMG_20140327_104249.thumb.jpg.dc4c1ee12f0d6653f0ee0b26f84a9db5.jpg

There was a bit of a difference in them I think between the years. Usually when you buy them it ask what year your motor is. I used the felpro VC gaskets and they have been fine. It was about the only part I did not get from the dealer.

You'll probably have to talk to the vendor.

Rockauto lists two Fel-Pro types, but their pictures both show the same.

They also ask for engine serial number. This is on the flat surface driver side where starter is mounted.

You can also check with the dealer's parts dept.

O.

I did go to the dealer when I was trying to get spark plug wires that would fit and they were as helpful as my old dog. They said it could be any number of years and said that they couldn't look up the serial number to tell the year.

The guy that owned it before me said it was a bones yard engine but doesn't know the year of the engine.

You'll probably have to talk to the vendor.

Rockauto lists two Fel-Pro types, but their pictures both show the same.

They also ask for engine serial number. This is on the flat surface driver side where starter is mounted.

You can also check with the dealer's parts dept.

O.

Doubt if you can read it when the engine is not out, but a poster on another forum educated me to the fact that there is a vin# stamped on the block itself. It is vertical and is on the lower passenger flat near the axle. It looks like the old dot matrix printer dots. The 10th digit would give you the year. Do search for how read vin.

Meanwhile I will call my dealer, who has been more helpful to me in the past. Will advise what I find out.

O.

Thanks.

I'll see if I can read the dot matrix type number.

Doubt if you can read it when the engine is not out, but a poster on another forum educated me to the fact that there is a vin# stamped on the block itself. It is vertical and is on the lower passenger flat near the axle. It looks like the old dot matrix printer dots. The 10th digit would give you the year. Do search for how read vin.

Meanwhile I will call my dealer, who has been more helpful to me in the past. Will advise what I find out.

O.

No there is different valve cover gaskets for the 2.5 DOHC. What happen is Subaru changed the design of one of the valve covers, the right side i believe and the gaskets are different. So to buy them from subaru you have to buy the cover. I just buy the valve cover gaskets from Auto Zone with the part #VS50662R. I've tried to get them from Napa and Oreillys but every time one side wasn't right.

spoke to my dealer parts and they said in order to match the gasket properly, I would have to bring my VC in. As SpoolN said there is more than one type. This makes a total of three. One to fit the oval plug seal and two for the rectangular seal.

O.

Taking it in to the dealer means I will need to buy dealer gaskets.

Oh well $$$$$$.

Or I can use the part number that SpoonIn said and then see if they fit. Or clean the VC very well (no oil residue) and go to the parts house to see if something mates up.

Changing a design within such a narrow time perdiod is odd. I remember the mech at the dealer that tried to ascertain the engine year saying that Subaru makes some drastic changes in mid year so ya never know what you have.

spoke to my dealer parts and they said in order to match the gasket properly, I would have to bring my VC in. As SpoolN said there is more than one type. This makes a total of three. One to fit the oval plug seal and two for the rectangular seal.

O.

If you look up 98lgt valve cover gaskets on autozone they list the felpro and in the description is has ranges of the last 6 digits of the vin to match up with your vin. Before 98 it does not do that so im guessing they changed mid 98.

The problem is my engine is a transplant from another model year so the VIN won't help.

I can't believe how crappy the weather has been. It finally stopped snowing, today it reached the 50 degree mark but tomorrow rain and they are issuing flood warnings.

It's been two weeks since I took the one VC off and haven't had a chance to work ont he car since that day.

If you look up 98lgt valve cover gaskets on autozone they list the felpro and in the description is has ranges of the last 6 digits of the vin to match up with your vin. Before 98 it does not do that so im guessing they changed mid 98.

Well, let's try to go backwards.

Because of the oil cooler, it's a Forester engine.

It was only 1998 that the Forester had the 2.5 DOHC.

So, it's a 98 Forester 2.5.

Now if there is a split in 98, get the engine serial number to narrow it down.

The vin number I was referring to is not the one on the driver's fender. It is actually stamped on the block. It id's the year and car it was originally in.

O.

I bought the ones for our 95 Legacy from Rock and they worked fine plus I didn't have any problem ordering for the 2.2. It is also a transplanted 2.2 that was installed by the previous car dealership. If I remember I got a very good price on them.

I agree. I just got mine on rock auto cause they were cheap.

Yep I remember.

Now all I need to do is crawl under there and see if I can see the block VIN.

Sounds like it is a 98 Forester 2.5. I'll check out the pics of the VC gaskets and as soon as I can I'll get the VIN off the block to narrow it down.

Thanks

Well, let's try to go backwards.

Because of the oil cooler, it's a Forester engine.

It was only 1998 that the Forester had the 2.5 DOHC.

So, it's a 98 Forester 2.5.

Now if there is a split in 98, get the engine serial number to narrow it down.

The vin number I was referring to is not the one on the driver's fender. It is actually stamped on the block. It id's the year and car it was originally in.

O.

Use the engine serial number to determine which vc gasket you need.

Won't be able to get the vin from below. The number is on the flat lower vertical surface of the block above the engine mount. A mechanic's mirror may work tho.

O.

I tried to take pics of the plug well gaskets but it is so dark in there for the pics to be clear.

Went to Rockauto and looked up the valve cover gaskets for a 1998 Forrester 2.5 and a 1997 Leg Outback 2.5. I found a gasket set ITM 0931314 (right side) and ITM 0931313 (left side). The sets fit eiother of the engines mentioned above, plus the plug hole gaskets look the same.

The ITM set have the legs on each side at the top, just like mine. The other sets don't have those legs.

I can't see the engine stamp on the passengers side flat. I do see an engine stamp on the drivers side at the starter (pic included). Wonder what the 166727 number means?

I feel confident that the ITM set would work.

The Fel Pro kits usually come in a cardboard box. I'd try a parts store , taking the vc with me and matching them up there.

O.

P4010045.thumb.JPG.29aa49ed451a34daea4d5e8190b2b65f.JPG

I know for a fact that it is not the original. Here are pics of the valve cover and gasket. The plug hole looks square to me. So I guess I have the 52 mm crank?

Maybe this can lead toward determining which gasket package to order.

Looks just like the JDM EJ25 cam covers. I have a set of JDM heads so thats how I know. And the JDM motor has a 48mm crank. But anyways might be off topic.

Went out at night, LED light in hand, to check for the number and I couldn't see any numbers. Ha...if there is one could they have found a better place to hide it.

:lol:

I'll probably just try the ones that look correct, the ones in the other post from today.

Snooping around the internet I find stuff like this and I just shake my head in amazment. A ball of confusion and maybe they smoke some good stuff over in Japan?????

"One problem is there are so many different variations of these engines - even within the EJ engine series: Ej20, EJ22, EJ25 DOHC and SOHC and each of these come in turbo and normally aspirated versions, and even several different levels of performance on some engines! The only thing I've found useful is to locate detailed maintenance diagrams and compare the various parts and what they look like to your engine. There are several variations of water pump designs, timing belt tensioners, timing belts, idlers, again DOHC and SOHC versions, and several diffierent versions of intake manifolds, injector styles, etc. etc. etc. There doesn't seem to be any "universal" cross reference between the US market versions vs. the JDM versions - a lot of parts don't cross over while some do. For instance - on my 2.0 turbo "legacy" motor, I wanted to replace the water pump. My pump had 4 inlets upstream of the thermostat (main water inlet and 3 smaller inlets) - but I only really wanted three for my application.

The other option is to just take the part to a "friendly" parts person at a Subaru dealership - see if they can match it up. Play dumb, tell 'em you bought a used engine and don't know what it came out of? Maybe bring them a 6-pk of their favorite beer??"

Use the engine serial number to determine which vc gasket you need.

Won't be able to get the vin from below. The number is on the flat lower vertical surface of the block above the engine mount. A mechanic's mirror may work tho.

O.

Archived