Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

interesting.. if you find a location to receive the screen at a severe discount let me know. I want to take a different angle on things and need it a LOT cheaper than the $900 retail on the screen unit.

I want the button assembly and the screen housing/mounting bracket.

Unfortunately I can't be of much help: I'm based in Italy and I can get the discount I'm referring to because I discovered that in Switzerland (70 km from where I live) Subaru accessories cost 40% less than in my country. And because italian is one of the three official swiss languages I can get the navi unit in my own language.

Cheers.

Edited by deltabi

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For those of you that were interested, i'm posting a lot of my carputer pieces here, hopefully by the end of the night. Spent my memorial day uninstalling them out of the car :) I'll post a link to the classified thread here when i post it up.

I'll take everything :) Really, though. I will. Pm me before you post them up.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

ORLY? you mean the screen internals right? cos the housing is all I want. I dont really care what language its in, I wont be using it heh, I am trying to find a broken one or something really.

I think think the cheapest I've seen the screen assembly NEW is in the high 700s. If I could get one down in the 500s we might already have one. I dunno tho, we still have some testing to do before I blow any dough.

but I will let you know if we decide to go that route.

My idea is basically to take a factory navi screen housing with the button interface on the bottom and the lights and whatnot, gut it of its factory screen interface and put in an aftermarket screen as "best fit" as we can. then make some sort of COM software to wrap the buttons to RR functions.

The factory nav from my understanding does not actually TOUCH the factory trim bezel, so a touchscreen that is slightly too large will not be a problem.. this is what I ran into last time when trying to use the factory bezel.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

subarus dont go to junkyards :lol:

no really, I have NEVER seen a subaru newer than early 90s in a junkyard here. Theyre pretty rare as it is in the south, much less finding one thats sitting AND is sitting with a navi unit.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Good point lol. I see lots of Subarus up here. We need them for the winters lol.

Anyways, I don't know of many, but F&S Auto Parts seems to be a pretty big Subaru junkyard up here. You could always call them and ask :)

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Good point lol. I see lots of Subarus up here. We need them for the winters lol.

Anyways, I don't know of many, but F&S Auto Parts seems to be a pretty big Subaru junkyard up here. You could always call them and ask :)

Sweet thanks for the link maybe I can stop by sometime this year.

That is a better price on a TF 7" lilput over what mp3car uses. What are the differences? I think mp3car sells theirs for like $730. Its steep but I've been saying if I go into this ridiculous project again (which after my leper of a car broke its own window yesterday seems HIGHLY unlikely) I would do transreflective or I wouldn't do the project at all. figurativley speaking, I am sick to vomiting of using crapass non-visible screens.

That is a better price on a TF 7" lilput over what mp3car uses. What are the differences? I think mp3car sells theirs for like $730. Its steep but I've been saying if I go into this ridiculous project again (which after my leper of a car broke its own window yesterday seems HIGHLY unlikely) I would do transreflective or I wouldn't do the project at all. figurativley speaking, I am sick to vomiting of using crapass non-visible screens.

It is the same upgraded screen, no differences. They are being upgraded at the same place. Correction, mp3car sells them for 750.

Then again, think of all the other uses 700 bucks can bring....maybe one day they'll not be so expensive.

The upgrade costs more then the screen itself and that is why the high cost. But still, this is cheaper then 700+ dollars and only a small margin is being made on profit because i want to make them available for everyone possible. You can also send me your current screen and I will upgrade it, no need to purchase a new screen.

well, I would be more interested if "nickel sulfate" hadn't broken my window yesterday. If I see that guy I'm gonna beat his ass :lol:

j/k.. no seriously I think I'm done modding this car.. I have too many problems with it to bother modding it anymore. Maybe if I can have more than 2 months w/o forking out $100-$1000 in failing parts and broken stuff I can think again on this.

• 2 weeks later...
Tried and failed to get the 'webmaster' auto-on unit to work with my Thinkpad a couple/few weeks ago. Finally gave in and ordered an HP laptop a couple days ago. Should be here next week.

i am reworking my install by putting everything on a new HD running N-lite Windows XP. Anyone have any suggestions before I nLITE on my own ? What are your boot times with nLite ?

I have never tried nLite but with 15second boot times using hibernation, I'm happy enough.

Are you going to go with a Transflective screen? If so, let me know and I can give you a good deal on it. If you already have a screen, I can give you a good deal ont he upgrade as well. Let me know.

I have 2 broken xenarc 700TSVs.. one with a 5 wire touch and one with a 4 wire. IIRC.. I may have sold them, I dont remember. Would you be able to do anything with that? the LCD panel itself is about the only thing good on both of these.. and the backlight. maybe the touch controllers.

What is wrong witht the screens?

I'm sure that I would be able to upgrade them, but they you would need the rest of the parts, the broken ones, to be able to use the screen.

Depending on what's wrong with them, I might be able to fix them...maybe.

I dunno I'm in the middle of what may be a salvage yard scam. I'll look into that if/when my parts come in. When we were testing our original factory bezel mount "phase II" project we wound up bridging some points and it went out. I didnt look very hard to find out what it was, that's when I gave up. Before that I cracked like 3 touchscreens and burnt a controller. Apparently if you emulate a touch in 100 places at once, the touch controller starts to melt the solder points.

yes, we were trying to make a factory fit "kit" that we could sell to users that would allow them to put in a xenarc 700tsv (this was before the daylight readable came out.) and use the factory button holes in the factory nav bezel for usb ports.

We had a working usb prototype, I still have it in my garage. We also had a screen mount prototype, but it didnt work due to a fundamental design flaw. We were looking at this from the wrong angle. We quit because it wound up costing us too much for still no product. No one seemed interested in the project enough to help fund it. After I destroyed the 2nd $400 screen, I decided to call it quits. I took my entire carputer project apart and sold the unit itself. I cut up the main power line in the car, pulled it out of the firewall, the only thing left in the car is the vga cable and usb cables. Thats cos they're under the rear seat and I dont want to take it out again.

Talking about quitting project, I have to say that this weekend I have officially quitted my CarPC project!

Friday I have installed the OEM Navi on my Subaru Outback 2.5i (I live in Europe) and I have to say that I'm happy with the result.

I'm going to sell the CarPC parts which never went in the car (and thus are in like-new condition), including a Xenarc 700TSV MY08 already mounted on a cubby bezel. I look forward to insert a FS announcement here before widening the selling scope (ie. MP3Car.com and ebay).

Anyone interested can show up... (remember I'm on the east side of the ocean!).

Thanks to everybody for the help I got in this months.