LegacyGT.com

offroad tires for the 07outback...options?

natoli4

I'm going to be up in the snow quite a bit this winter and would like to put a set of aggressive offroad tires on my 07 outback. I currently have aftermarket wheels and tires on the car and would like to use my stock rims(17's) with a set of beefy tires to get me up and down the mountain. I have megan coilovers and can raise the car back to stock height plus maybe a half inch above stock. So I figure I should be able to run a slightly larger than stock tire.

I know that I can run somewhere around a 27.3-27.4 outer tire diameter without any rubbing issues...so I need some suggestions!

Any info would be greatly appreciated...especially from the people who may have been running tires on their cars such as discribed above. I'd like the car to look aggressive too so anything with beefy knobbies I'd be interested in seeing!

Thanks!

Are you looking for winter tires or mud and snow rated tires?

I would be careful about raising your Outback above stock height. You will get positive camber. You can dial it out in the front but you can't in the rear. I would stick with stock height.

I would also seriously consider buying 16" steel rims or you can get used 16" alloy rims from nasioc. Then you can run some beefy tires.

I think 215/65/16 or 205/70/16 comes out to 27.3.

I like the Dunlop Grandtrek SJ6.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/dunlop/du_granktrek_sj6_ci2_l.jpg

If you really want to keep your 17s, then you'll probably end up with something like 215/60/17.

Firestone Winterforce is a sweet tire for the money.

They look gnarly, like big ol mudder tires on your subie. They handle pretty good on the dry and tear up snow, dirt, mud. I put about 10K miles on them last winter and they still look new. I was a little skeptical at first but I am super stoked on them now. I am a winter tire snob and can honestly say this tire rocks when it's crappy out. The price was better than nokian and they wear longer than the typical snow tire. (they are not as good as nokian in the snow but they are pretty damn close).

Here is a shot of my car with them on. You cant' really tell how beefy the tread is but you get the idea.

Tirerack has them for cheap and Sears...ugh, Sears carries them as well.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Winterforce&tireModel=M%2BS

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/aboone1970/car1.jpg

Gotcha on not running the car too high. Positive camber sucks. i thought that a few cars out there were running two inch lifts? Doesn't really matter because the front and rear tire wells don't allow a larger tire. I'd like to run something a bit wider than stock ya know? out of the two the Firestones look good but I think Dunlop make a better quality tire. I was one of the guys who's wifes Explorer tires started to fall apart so Firestone is bad gugu to me. Anyway, any other options?

I really like a set of BF Goodrich style but can't seem to find anything. I need to run 17's based on the fact that I'd like to get a BBK on the car soon.

out of the two the Firestones look good but I think Dunlop make a better quality tire. I was one of the guys who's wifes Explorer tires started to fall apart so Firestone is bad gugu to me.

FYI, Bridgestone = Firestone. If you're willing to drive your Subie off the lot w/ Bridgestones, then you should be willing to drive on Firestones. They are the same company. :cool:

They look gnarly, like big ol mudder tires on your subie. They handle pretty good on the dry and tear up snow, dirt, mud. I put about 10K miles on them last winter and they still look new. I was a little skeptical at first but I am super stoked on them now. I am a winter tire snob and can honestly say this tire rocks when it's crappy out. The price was better than nokian and they wear longer than the typical snow tire. (they are not as good as nokian in the snow but they are pretty damn close).

Here is a shot of my car with them on. You cant' really tell how beefy the tread is but you get the idea.

Did you stud those tires and which box is that??

thanks, Uber

Studded indeed and the box is Thule something or other....you want the model? It's a great box and it fits the wagon just about perfect. I know a couple people that run the tires unstudded and they love them but I am always partial to studs.

That's the first thing I thought about Firestone as well. I went back and forth on buying those but it was the fact that they are the same company as Bridgestone that made me give them a try. Who knows, maybe they will start falling apart and I am headed for an untimely demise but they are great in the snow and really solid feeling.

Les Schwab used to sell a tire by Ohatsu that was really beefy and great in the mud and snow without studs. I am sure someone still sells that tire and it would look pretty good on the wagon. i used to swear by those tires because you could get 5 winters out of them before they were shot and they gripped in the snow and ice like few other tires. Schwab now sells the Signet winter tire which I would say is the worst winter tire I have ever used. I honestly think the stock yokohama A/S tires on my wagon are better in the snow than the Signet studded tires.

I assume you are looking for an agressive snow winter tire rather than a more conventional ice and snow tire.

http://www.hankooktire.ca/product/tire_wt.asp

I just put the Icebear 300s on my GT, they are a v-rated tire, so really not what you are looking for. I did however put a set of the 440s on my 1998 Outback last year and would gladly sell them to you if you lived here in Calgary!

Finally on my other car, a 1997 Miata, I went with the iPike. Probably the most agressive snow tire of the bunch, but they were all that were offered in the 185/60/14 size I was looking for.

Both Outback and Miata handled the worst of last years winter riding on the Kooks! A very inexpensive tire and I highly recommend them!

i am considering the same tire. you cant beat the price. anything you dont like about the tire? what was your second choice? thanks for the help

My second choice was the Nokian Hakka tire but they wear pretty fast and I put about 12K miles per winter on my car. These are not as good as the Nokian but they are pretty close. The last longer for sure and they rally in the snow and ice. I have no regrets at all, it's a fun tire.

Here are a couple of pics I took this morning of the Winterforce tires with about 10-12K miles on them...I don't really know how many miles because I didn't count but 30K in 12 months and 6 months of winter should be around 12Kish. I'd say they have about 2-3 seasons on them. The last set of Nokian Hakkas only got me through 2 winters. The Nokian tires were the best snow tires I have ever driven on but the cost + wear factor made me look elsewhere. I would say the winterforce is just as good as the nokian in all conditions except shear ice. On shear, the Nokian was a better rubber but I still would not pay the extra loot for them unless I get a job that doesn't require as much driving. The winterforce is sweeeeet in the slushy stuff, no worries in thick crappy slush that we get in the PNW.

It snowed last night!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/aboone1970/b002.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/aboone1970/b001.jpg

Ya I'm trying to find out a outside diameter on a specific size. Once I do that I'll probably end up going with the Winterforce tires. Gonna do 17's with a 235/60 17 if I can fit it.

That's easy. 235 = width in mm. 60 = aspect ratio, i.e., percentage of width, for your sidewall. The diameter of a 235/60 17 = 235 x 1.2 (double your aspect ratio to account for the sidewall below and above your rim)/25.4 mm per inch + 17 = 28.1 inches.

i am considering the same tire. you cant beat the price. anything you dont like about the tire? what was your second choice? thanks for the help

I'm running these on my '05 OBXT, too.....also studded. See pic below:

http://home.earthlink.net/~timo1745/_images/subie_images/subie_first_snow/subie_snow%20001.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~timo1745/_images/subie_images/subie_first_snow/subie_snow%20003.jpg

If I had to come up with a complaint about these, it would be the noise at highway speeds. As you know, out Outbacks have little in the way of sound proofing, and they get a pretty good hum going over 60 mph. Also, I regret not getting these is a slighly skinnier size (e.g., 215/60-16 instead of 225/60-16) to help improve winter and slush traction. I do run them at higher pressures to help reduce the sidewall flex on dry roads (they are an "S" rated tire), but if you keep in mind that they are a dedicated winter tire, I think they're meet or exceed most peoples' expectations in the really nasty stuff--and are pretty good in standing water and passable on dry roads.

Hope this helps.

I would agree on the road noise, they are a bit noisy but I don't think it that much more than any other winter tire I have used. For having big tread like that, it could be worse.

I have 55 series on 16's and they are just a little taller than stock...55 on 17's would be pretty cool for an OB.

I would agree on the road noise, they are a bit noisy but I don't think it that much more than any other winter tire I have used. For having big tread like that, it could be worse.

I have 55 series on 16's and they are just a little taller than stock...55 on 17's would be pretty cool for an OB.

I realize you have a 2.5i, but what is your stock size if 55 series on 16's is taller than stock? I was under the impression that stock for a 2.5i was a 225/60-16, but obviously I'm wrong.

My stockers are 225/55-17 and my snows are 225/60-16...which is just about equal.

Just curious.

Tim G.

does anyone think that a 28.1" tire will fit on a outback? I have 27.2 and the car is lowered without any rubbing issues at all. If I lift the car back to somewhere around stock it might provide enough clearance to run tires that big i'm thinking.

I realize you have a 2.5i, but what is your stock size if 55 series on 16's is taller than stock? I was under the impression that stock for a 2.5i was a 225/60-16, but obviously I'm wrong.

My stockers are 225/55-17 and my snows are 225/60-16...which is just about equal.

Just curious.

Tim G.

Nay, my stock wheels are the same as the GT...225/45/17 and yep, the winter tires are a bit taller than the stockers.

I used to have the Brigdestone A/T Revo's on my old car. Sick looking and really great performance in any situation and terrain.

Little noisy but I am sure you know most of these knobby tires will creat some noise.

Who needs tickets to the gun show?:eek:

does anyone think that a 28.1" tire will fit on a outback? I have 27.2 and the car is lowered without any rubbing issues at all. If I lift the car back to somewhere around stock it might provide enough clearance to run tires that big i'm thinking.

Just a thought, but maybe it would be easier if we knew what you're looking to accomplish here. You have a lowered OB but will be spending some time in the mountains--presumeably in the snow and presumeably driving on-road, not off-road. I don't mean to sound like an expert--because I'm not, but at the point where you were looking to raise your already lowered OB, then put larger than stock tires on it--just because you're planning on driving in the snow.....ya' kinda' lost me :spin:

FWIW, the "best" tires for driving on-road in the snow really aren't bigger-than-stock, monster truck tires with huge lugs...they're tires which are narrower-than-stock, with a deep biting edge, a larger tread void for water/slush evacuation and LOTS of sipes to allow some snow to get stuck in them--but not too much. And either a softer rubber compound, or one which is hydrophilic-type rubber compund meaning that it remains softer in cold temperatures (allowing better grip to the snow/ice) but hardens up slightly in higher temperatures.

These cars have higher ground clearance than most SUVs on the market today. For some reason if the stock ride height of 8.7" (pls correct me if I'm wrong) isn't enough, I personally wouldn't crank up your coilovers to make it higher. I think it borders on being "dangerous" messing with any car's suspension geometry--especially on slippery roads. And don't bother with truck tires on these cars; go look at some WinterForce, Nokians, or maybe the Dunlop M3's to keep consistent on a car which is running lowered coilovers. There's plenty of discussion here this time of year on what the "best" snow/winter tires are for these cars. Believe me, with a good set of snow/winter tires coupled with any of the 3 possible Subie AWD systems, a rear LSD and ABS....in stock form, these cars are almost unstoppable when driven properly and safely.

Does this help any? ;)

Cheers,

Tim G.

Thanks Tim for your input. I'm looking to raise the car back to roughly a stock height within a 1/2 inch or so. the coilovers I have are made for the outback so you can run at stock height with a firmer suspension. I'd like to have a slightly larger tire because of the winter terrain that I'll be driving in. My families cabin is on a very rough dirt road that ends in a steep hill. The more clearance I can get the better without getting unsafe. I think if I'm a inch higher than stock it will still be a safe vehicle. BTW, I'm going with the winterforces thanks!

Archived