LegacyGT.com

HID problem...can anyone help?

natoli4

So, I have a set of HID's and recently the drivers side stopped working so I thought it was the bulb/ballest....I ordered a new set of DDM 55w 5000K's to installl. I took out the old HID on the drivers side and installed the new DDM. Went to turn it on and it flutters for a second or two and then goes out. I know that Installed them correctly and my daytime Driving Lights are off. I pulled off that ballest and put the other new ballest onto the bulb and the same thing happened...could it be that my relay is bad? Not sure where to look for answers. any help would be appreciated!

so i pulled the existing ballest from the passenger side that was working fine and installed it on the drivers side and it didn't work. reinstalled in back and working fine again...anyone? only thing I can think of is a wiring harness or relay... car is basically new with 40K on a 2007. could it be a fuse for the left side only? I'm guessing not because it tries to fire but never goes on. Oh and I've tried it with and without the car started.

Mine is kind of doing the same thing. Which fuse did you find was bad?

Here is what mine is doing. Drivers side HID bulb flashes a few times then quits trying. I pulled the HID and tried a regular bulb. It lights up but very dim and the high beam is also very dim even though it is not switched on. Meanwhile the high beam on the passenger side is also even dimmer. Switch on the high beam and the everything on the drivers side goes out and the passenger side now looks and works normal. If I unplug the entire assembly the drivers side is dead and the passenger side is now completely normal. DRLs are disabled.

Fuse that was bad was the left drivers headlight in the fuse box right behind the battery. From what you are stating above it seems like you may need to check a few things.

1. Ballest, probably not.

2. A wiring issue, this seems logical since you have a few different issues.

3. A battery? Are you getting all of this with the car off or on?

4. An alternator? lights not working is the first sign of an alternator issue.

maybe check with someone who knows the electrical better than I.

Turns out it was the fuse. Since the fuse is in the ground part of the circuit and shared with high and low beams, when the fuse blows it causes the electrical flow to go from the low beams through the high beam then through the other side high beam to seek ground. Pretty strange. The kicker is that the dealer (Camelback Subaru in Phoenix, AZ) wanted $275 to put the vehicle back to stock before he would even attempt to troubleshoot it. I told him the driver's light was infact already back to stock but he said it had to be both sides. Apparently the ballast failed and that caused the fuse to blow. which then caused the weird behavior.

I can't believe they wanted $275 for that! No indie Subaru mechanics in town? Subie Specialties in Monrovia(north east Los Angeles) works on modified cars all the time. I had an issue once while in Scottsdale and had to go to a tuner in Phoenix to fix something. Didn't bend me over the table too bad but still sucks when you have no one but the dealer to talk to.

I was in Phoenix on vacation and so I was a captive audience. I said no thanks and drove it back to Denver with one headlight. Made it almost all the way before a LEO stopped me. But he was friendly and just told me to get it fixed. I felt safe with only one light since it was brighter that the two that most people have.

Archived