LegacyGT.com

Headgasket Repair Advice

2005 Legacy GT 134k miles

Headgasket is leaking exhaust into the coolant. First symptom was a crack at the top of the radiator (replaced radiator). Next symptom was overheating and coolant reservoir turning black/loss of coolant. I did the coolant pressure test and it came back negative. I then performed the chemical block tester and it came back positive for exhaust gases in the coolant.

I have a question before I yank the engine out and get it repaired.

Besides new valve cover/head gaskets, planing/checking the heads/valves, what else would you check for or replace with the engine out?

I already have a hotrodded WRX, and this Legacy will be my DD. It's on a Stage 2 OTS Cobb tune. I am not looking to upgrade engine internals :lol:. Any advice is appeciated. Thanks.

Timing belt & tensioner if not done recently

Oil cooler gasket

Up-pipe if not already done

Consider clutch & flywheel if applicable; if manual but keep clutch, replace TOB

Timing belt done @ 100k

Oil cooler gasket is a good idea

Up-pipe is done

5EAT

Both my cars run 1-step colder, both have custom tunes. Though I don't believe they need a custom tune. I run them because they are less money.

I see your in P-ville TX, is that Plano TX ? I know guy there that's kind of a great Tuner.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Both my cars run 1-step colder, both have custom tunes. Though I don't believe they need a custom tune. I run them because they are less money.

I see your in P-ville TX, is that Plano TX ? I know guy there that's kind of a great Tuner.

Pflugerville

I thought they required a custom tune due to needing slightly more fuel for spark? I understand how the plugs work, but not sure on injector tuning associated with them.

Talking about tuners, I use Torqued Performance - Eric Minehart for my WRX. The consensus on the forum seems to be a guy named Mike for the Leggys?

That would be Mike Kinsman of http://www.tuningalliance.com He really is the best if not one of a few.

Just east of Plano TX, Tony Palo of https://www.t1racedevelopment.com/ He helped us a lot back in our Honda race car day's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Just curious why you would pull the entire engine instead of just pulling the head?

New head bolts, new head gasket, send head out to machine shop. I'm not overly familiar with my Subaru since I haven't had it all that long, but I would probably do the water pump as well. I'd hate to do all that work to the head and then have the pump go out and blow the head gasket again due to overheating. Been there.............

It's a big job either way. With the engine out you have lots of room to do things right instead of bending over the fender and risking your back.

I'm a tall guy and being bent over with the engine in the car is no fun for me. Also, it's not too much trouble to pull the engine out vs keep it in the car. If this was an inline or v engine, it would be a different story. I've pulled more than a few subaru engines before. These engines are like legos.

Looks like you are on right track. I'd add few smaller things - tighten screws on fuel hoses where they connect to fuel rails, those loosen up after a while and leak a little. TB rollers since TB will be coming off anyway; and yes water pump if it wasn't done yet. Small gaskets on intake while you have it off. Injector seals if you feel spendy.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Looks like you are on right track. I'd add few smaller things - tighten screws on fuel hoses where they connect to fuel rails, those loosen up after a while and leak a little. TB rollers since TB will be coming off anyway; and yes water pump if it wasn't done yet. Small gaskets on intake while you have it off. Injector seals if you feel spendy.

What are TB rollers?

If I haven't already said so, look through my click here link and see what's involved in pulling the engine.

Thanks for the suggestion Max. Excellent post you made. I'm sure I'll refer to it and the pics/videos I take when putting it all back together again.

-Humpty Dumpty

Archived