LegacyGT.com

My awesome 30 minute Legacy GT Limited test drive

Let me start off with saying I finally made a decision - I will be getting a Legacy GT Limited Sedan automatic in Regal Blue with the Black leather interior after this test drive. Up to now I've been very iffy with the '05 Legacy. All my doubts were quickly erased after my 30 minutes behind the wheel alone. I went to Richard Lucas Subaru in Woodbridge NJ on Highway 1 South. The sales man Abe helped me, very friendly and helpful. After taking a photocopy of my driver's license he handed me the keys to an automatic silver GT Limited sedan and told me to take it out and come back in 20-30 minutes. After adjusting the seats and driving it around the lot to get accustomed to it, I was off. I started by going down US 1 South, the pickup is great. I've heard of people complaining about lag, I felt no lag at all. I let the turbo kick in. The power is amazing, when the turbo kicks in, it WILL push you back into the seat. The power delivery is linear and very strong, although the power goes from quick and linear to a rush when the turbo kicks in. I was amazed at how very deceptive the car is at high speed. I thought I was going about 50 mph when I looked down the speedo, it was reading much much higher than that - woops :D. The comfort level of this car is exceptional. I love the car, the only thing I was not happy with was the stock radio without the amp and subwoofer. When I got back, I asked if I could sit in the other GT Limited Sedan and see how the radio sounds with the subwoofer and amp, he handed me the keys and I started her up and played with the radio. I didn't think the bass was that powerful, even on the highest setting on the radio, but it was there and made a difference. I recommend the sub and amp - it needs it. The all wheel drive is absolutely amazing - it drove though heavy downpours like it was a dry day - the grip is incredible. I never drove a car with this much grip and traction, and my test drive was 30 minutes of driving in light rain and super heavy blinding downpours. The AWD is excellent and the tires are very grippy in the rain. I talked about the acceleration - it's superb. I have also test drove an Audi TT 3.2 and a 2004 Mach 1 Mustang in the past month. Of those three cars, I liked the way the Legacy accelerated the best. The TT accelerated great, but not good enough to justify the extra $12K price tag - the acceleration was about the same but you never got the kick like when the turbo kicks in on the Legacy. Interior: I like the Legacy interior as much as the Audi interior. Definitely better than the A4 interior. The features are great, the guages are excellent, and I really like the climate control. I played with the seat warmers - made my rear warmer than it already was - LOL. The 8 way seats made it easy for me to find the best seating position. The quality is of the materials used are excellent. Automatic transmission: Works perfectly. I noticed a little delay when downshifting dow two gears, but found the transmission to automatic shift quick and will go all the way up before upshifting. The button shifters are very cool to use. I didn't notice any lag, then again, my daily driver is a 120 hp 1.8 4 cylinder automatic Kia. Any questions - feel free to ask. - Mike

[quote name='godwhomismike']Let me start off with saying I finally made a decision - I will be getting a Legacy GT Limited Sedan automatic in Regal Blue with the Black leather interior after this test drive. Up to now I've been very iffy with the '05 Legacy. All my doubts were quickly erased after my 30 minutes behind the wheel alone. I went to Richard Lucas Subaru in Woodbridge NJ on Highway 1 South. The sales man Abe helped me, very friendly and helpful. After taking a photocopy of my driver's license he handed me the keys to an automatic silver GT Limited sedan and told me to take it out and come back in 20-30 minutes. After adjusting the seats and driving it around the lot to get accustomed to it, I was off. I started by going down US 1 South, the pickup is great. I've heard of people complaining about lag, I felt no lag at all. I let the turbo kick in. The power is amazing, when the turbo kicks in, it WILL push you back into the seat. The power delivery is linear and very strong, although the power goes from quick and linear to a rush when the turbo kicks in. I was amazed at how very deceptive the car is at high speed. I thought I was going about 50 mph when I looked down the speedo, it was reading much much higher than that - woops :D. The comfort level of this car is exceptional. I love the car, the only thing I was not happy with was the stock radio without the amp and subwoofer. ********************************************************** I'm posting this for now, I'll edit this and finish this post in a little while ********************************************************** - Mike[/quote] MIke: I've been reading your public debate on these boards for a while now. I knew you'd make the right decision :D after a drive. Trust me. You'll be MUCH happier in the GT compared to the Audi. Now all we have to do is get you to get a 5MT and you'll be REALLY impressed. I'm originally from NYC so I do know that it's difficult to even FIND an MT to learn on though. Good Luck!

[quote name='SoldonSubie'] MIke: I've been reading your public debate on these boards for a while now. I knew you'd make the right decision :D after a drive. Trust me. You'll be MUCH happier in the GT compared to the Audi. Now all we have to do is get you to get a 5MT and you'll be REALLY impressed. I'm originally from NYC so I do know that it's difficult to even FIND an MT to learn on though. Good Luck![/quote] no way on the 5MT, Staten Island is god awful to drive with all the traffic. I know that yes the 5MT is faster, but the cost of it would be me hating to drive it because of all the stop and go traffic. The 5EAT was very quick and very impressive. I have no regrets or second thoughts with the automatic. If I lived somewhere where there wasn't much traffic and lots of highways, then I would lean towards a 5MT, but traffic is just that back during the daily drive. I am going to add to my above post. - Mike

[quote name='godwhomismike']Let me start off with saying I finally made a decision - I will be getting a Legacy GT Limited Sedan automatic in Regal Blue with the Black leather interior after this test drive. Up to now I've been very iffy with the '05 Legacy. All my doubts were quickly erased after my 30 minutes behind the wheel alone. I love the car, the only thing I was not happy with was the stock radio without the amp and subwoofer. - Mike[/quote] What made you finally decide on the color? On looks alone, I am debating between Regal Blue, or Obsidian Black. Either one with black GT Limited leather. Unless San Remo Red or WR blue show up on a future STi version before trigger-pull time. Not sure weather I'll try out the factory sub, or look into an infinity bass-link or something like it in the trunk. It will be a 5spd stick with the short shifter and STi or WRX alum pedals. I am waiting for a test drive, maybe in the next week or two to decide if the legacy GT is in competition, or in a class of 1 for my next car. I am just afraid that If I drive it, I am gonna want it, and might make an unwise financial sacrifice before I am really ready. I am already debating whether I should trade my 2000 Ranger 4x4, or pay it off, and keep it as a beast-of-burden. This could get ugly.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='godwhomismike'] I will be getting a Legacy GT Limited Sedan automatic in Regal Blue with the Black leather interior. - Mike[/quote] Nice choice! That will be one damn nice looking car :twisted:

[quote name='IwannaSportSedan'] 1) What made you finally decide on the color? 2) I am just afraid that If I drive it, I am gonna want it, and might make an unwise financial sacrifice before I am really ready. [/quote] 1) I seen Regal Blue in person yesterday in a showroom at one place - and it almost seemed like it was a color shifting paint. It seems to go from black to purple to blue - depending on the amount of light hit it. Today in a cloudy rainy day it was a darkish blue to a black. The interior - let me say I've owned a light colored interior for 7 years now and will not go through that again. Plus the toupe interior is not my cup of tea. I really want a black interior. 2) If you test drive it, you WILL want it. It's a very fun to drive car and it is very quick. The seat are also very comfortable. The turbo is very addicting :twisted:. Put it this way, I was iffy about the Leg, almost was settling for it because the TT was just too much money. Driving it today, all in awful weather, changed my entire impression of the car from iffy to I must have it. I plan on having it before labor day weekend. - Mike I edited my first post on the top and added a lot more to it..

Great choice on the Legacy Gt. I just recently picked up my Metalic Red Legacy GT Limited automatic (so far i put 500 miles on it, came with only 10 miles ) with popular option package (sub and amp...sweeet :D ). I also winged the back with the rear air foil ( dealership threw it in as a freebee....sweet again!)I completely agree.....barely any lag noticable on the auto version and I say this is one of subaru's finest cars. I've drove the STI, the WRX, the Nissan 350z, and none can claim any points on this baby. Plus the "arrest-me-red" paint on this car really gets the people going, and there is a hint of orange as the car moves....also a cool effect. I mean the exterior already looks custom and lowering it about 1-2'' would really bring out the car's aggresive side. This car really hauls ass.....and the build quality should be an industry standard......the seats are to die for.Oh yeah i forgot to mention i went with the toupe leather interior 8)

Good luck Mike! I live in Flemington NJ and just ordered a GT just like yours (5eat, charcoal, rear spoiler) but I got Atlantic Blue cause the wife already has a royal blue minivan. Even though I tested the 5mt I wanted the 5eat for Jersey traffic. Dealer says the car is in Boston so I should have it in the next few weeks. My only "complaints" are no exhaust sound (can I just take those mufflers off and run straight pipe? I did it on another turbo car and it wasn't too loud - the cats and turbo muffle the sound all by themselves!), rear headroom and no folding rear seats. Oh yeah and the stereo doesn't play MP3's. See you on the road, Ralph

Does anyone know if you can turn the bass up on the sub/amp unit under the driver's seat? On the head unit in the dash, the bass was up to the max level, but the bass still was weak - is there a dial or control to adjust it on the amp/sub unit itself? That was my only complaint with the whole car - the lacking sound and the amp/sub that slightly improves the sound. If that could be tuned up a notch or two more I'd be happy. - Mike

I believe the older ones (and probably newer ones as well) had a dial to adjust that. I'm rather impressed with how much the stock unit puts out adjusted right. More than plenty for me. Sorta nice we can adjust midrange now finally!

[quote name='SUBE555']I believe the older ones (and probably newer ones as well) had a dial to adjust that. I'm rather impressed with how much the stock unit puts out adjusted right. More than plenty for me. Sorta nice we can adjust midrange now finally![/quote] I should've taken a CD to really hear how it sounds - I was using the radio and there weren't any good songs on - mostly commericals. Bleh - if this is the only thing that I found wasn't 110% like the rest of the car - so what. At least my other car sounded like crap after listening to the Legacy radio for a little over 30 minutes between the test drive and sampling the amp/sub package. That's a good sign. :) - Mike

[quote name='godwhomismike']He said if I buy tomorrow - he'd give it to me for $300 over invoice. They didn't have the color choice I wanted and I don't plan on settling. I'm sure that I could get it for that in a couple of weeks. - Mike[/quote] Thats not a bad price...I went to Beltway Subaru the other day and got quoted $18 over invoice for a base Leg GT.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

[quote name='Ridgeracer'][quote name='godwhomismike']He said if I buy tomorrow - he'd give it to me for $300 over invoice. They didn't have the color choice I wanted and I don't plan on settling. I'm sure that I could get it for that in a couple of weeks. - Mike[/quote] Thats not a bad price...I went to Beltway Subaru the other day and got quoted $18 over invoice for a base Leg GT.[/quote] $18 over invoice? :o WOW Did you go to Beltway last Tuesday (20th)? I posted on here and at ClubWRX, that they were having some party for the new Legacy - free food test drives, and a special guest whom I believe was the Mets coach or something. Ok back on topic: $18 over invoice - I have to check that out. - Mike

[quote name='Ridgeracer']BTW...let us know how it feels to be the first GT owner that we know in NYC. Hopefully i'll get mines soon.[/quote] I'm waiting until after August 17th - that's when my probie period ends at work. Almost there - this wait is killing me. - Mike

[quote name='godwhomismike'] I've heard of people complaining about lag, I felt no lag at all. I let the turbo kick in. The power is amazing, when the turbo kicks in, it WILL push you back into the seat. The power delivery is linear and very strong, although the power goes from quick and linear to a rush when the turbo kicks in. I was amazed at how very deceptive the car is at high speed. [/quote] I've never owned a Turbo car so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a 'huge rush of power *when the turbo kicks in*' what lag *IS*? -Allen

[quote name='akm3'] I've never owned a Turbo car so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a 'huge rush of power *when the turbo kicks in*' what lag *IS*? -Allen[/quote] Yes but on some TURBO vehicles, there is no "pre-rush" POWER. The 2.5 has pleanty scoot pre-boost, where other vehicles have almost none and depend entirely on the turbos boost.

[quote name='Ridgeracer']Talk to Sabrina D'Aponte and ask for internet pricing. She will give you there best offer point blank.[/quote] Great to know RR! 8) Sabrina called me last wknd BEGGING me to go in for a test drive, but glad that I turned her down due to the ridiculous weather we had this past wknd. Are you financing or buying with cash? Also, is there a trade-in involved? So she quoted u a bottom-line price of $25,024? (Edmunds.com stated the GT-Auto's invoice of $25,006) I also wonder if I can do even better on a manual (below invoice?)since it tends to be less popular for the sedan-buying demographic? Lastly, do you guys think the price will be (+/-)$18 over invoice if I choose to get the limited instead of base? My common sense says UNDER since there's more margin on the LTD. You guys are really making me want and NOT WANT to test drive the car :oops: Want vs. Common Sense....... :twisted:

[quote name='Two-Five Sti-L']Great to know RR! 8) Sabrina called me last wknd BEGGING me to go in for a test drive, but glad that I turned her down due to the ridiculous weather we had this past wknd. Are you financing or buying with cash? Also, is there a trade-in involved? [/quote] I test drove Friday in that horid weather - got to test the AWD. The car is absolutely amazing in the wet and the hoirid downpours. I forgot to take the form to get the $25 Visa card - so it looks like I'll have to take a second test drive ;) I haven't decided between financing with $10,500 down and 60 months, or leasing with 0 down for 36 months. - Mike

The only thing that sucked about my test drive at Beltway was the fact that you can't take it on the belt parkway. There was a trade involved but I plan to sell my current ride instead. She gave me that price before I mentioned a trade. The main thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is my house. I have to finish the basement first so I need the cash and who wants to use a brand new Leg GT for runs to Home Depot eh..? Minor tipo guys...it was actually $58 over invoice for a Leg GT w/manual no options (24545). Very sorry.. I hope this doesn't make them too pricey...lol
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Archived