LegacyGT.com

Exhaust Interest thread.

F22-raptor

Well I have looked around a lot at all the muffler threads/exhaust and have found most of them just too espensive and don't really provide that much hp. So I decided to do something about it with fellow member Jdanhires.

Basically we have created a prototype of sorts that is a muffler delete. This leaves the resonator in place and just gets rid of the mufflers. This is a completely bolt-on piece and would take about 20-30 mintutes top to put on. This is currently on my car but is no way the finished product. However I plan to have two different tips perhaps one oval and one a double oval or square. Not sure yet. I am looking at typed of material to work with and such but all pieces will be welded and mate perfectly with the stock y-pipe. This way if you ever need to return to stock for some reason it would take you about 20 min.

What I need to know is if anyone else is interested in something like this. I would like to have the price somewhere around 200$. However without meeting with the shop yet to see what making a jig for it will be I can't be positive. If there is enough interest more details will follow (without needing any commitments etc :))

I have made a video of what the prototype sounds like on my car so people will be able to tell if it is too loud for them etc.. I realize I am not a vendor etc..But technically I am not selling anything..at least not yet :)

http://www.cincyscoobies.com/pics/cars.wmv

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is LOVELY !

More details, but as of now, by the way you're making this product "sound" in terms of installation/dis-installation, count me IN (especially if pricing remains the same).

I need a product like this, an easily swapped-out bolt-on, as my wife is very sensitive to such sounds, and I would be able to pop back my mufflers when I needed them for the wifey.

Please keep me updated.

PM is best method of contact. Thank you!

DOUBLE TIPS! :D (i.e. making the system "quad," or, alternately, two tips per side) PLEASE!!!!!!!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

i had the muffler removed and straight pipes welded on and i absoulutely love it. it's pretty loud!! btw it sounds much better in person. i would post sound/video clips but i don't know how.

another perk is that you get better gas mileage also. i reset my average mpg meter everytime i fill up and after my muffler delete i've seen my numbers rise from 19.5-20.5 to 23.8-24.6mpg in the city and it's gone from 26.4-27.8 to 29.8-31.0mpg on the hwy.

Guest *Jedimaster*
i had the muffler removed and straight pipes welded on and i absoulutely love it. it's pretty loud!! btw it sounds much better in person. i would post sound/video clips but i don't know how.

another perk is that you get better gas mileage also. i reset my average mpg meter everytime i fill up and after my muffler delete i've seen my numbers rise from 19.5-20.5 to 23.8-24.6mpg in the city and it's gone from 26.4-27.8 to 29.8-31.0mpg on the hwy.

I know you're close to my area- what shop did you use?

sounds kinda pricey for two staight pipes, but i understand ya gotta make a profit, and tips arent cheap.....good luck with it

Well they're not straight in that sense of the word :) The problem is they make 2 bends before gettting to the bumper. one down and one 45 degree or so. That price is not set in stone, just an estimate of what it would take to make the jig and get some made. If it is cheaper then by all means I would be passing the savings on :) And I didn't realize how much tips were until I started looking for them this weekend :O

Just realized that my neighbors would hate me ;) but heck, who cares, I'll push the car down the driveway in the AM, if I have to. :lol:

Question - at the $200 mark, will this be stainless? or aluminized mild-steel?

Again, very much looking forward to this product.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Just realized that my neighbors would hate me ;) but heck, who cares, I'll push the car down the driveway in the AM, if I have to. :lol:

Question - at the $200 mark, will this be stainless? or aluminized mild-steel?

Again, very much looking forward to this product.

Well considering I want these to last forever (or darn close) I would proly make them out of 304 or 321 Stainless perhaps.. It all depends on the cost. I need to see what the differences are cost-wise and longevity.

jedi, I'm not even your neighbor, and I hate you. ;)

:lol:

-----

F22-raptor,

Cool. Being that I'm in NE-Ohio, in the salt/snow-belt, 304 or 321 would definitely be my vote.

I'm still *seriously* interested. :)

Quad-tip (two tips per side), of course! :D

Direct bolt-on replacement for the stock mufflers(Axle-back), right?

Would like pics of the different tip styles, placement(at hangers) and clearances.

Edit: Will different tips change the sound? 1-year(4 seasons) weld/corrosion/workmanship warranty?

I keed I keeed

It actually sounded pretty good. Since you are running 1 Stock CAT then people with a High Flow CAT would most likely be a lot louder.

Nope I have no cats.. Only the Resonator. I thought I should clarify that :) If you are still running one cat it should be a bit quieter :)

Archived