LegacyGT.com

Installed my Cobb catted DP!!

I installed my Cobb catted downpipe today and it went in without a hitch (minus cuts on my hands :D) but I have a problem. I flashed the ECU to stage 2, it makes a rattling like sound almost like a loose heat shield, but I did not put that back on yet and it feels no different than just the stage 1 flash. Everything is tight, I used OEM gaskets on the turbo>downpipe and the stock donut from the stock downpipe. I got the OEM midpipe gasket but the holes do no line up so I did not install that. Could that be the problem?

I searched before I posted!!!!

I am going to have it protuned this week at DSG...

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/97IntrepidES/2009%20Subaru%20Legacy%20GT%20Limited/IMG_2724.jpg

I would bet it is the heatshield under the car. he one between the driveline and the downpipe. I had a similar problem when i installed my perrin downpipe. Just get under your car and see if the downpipe or CBE is touching anything. If it is touching the heatshield just get a hammer and bend the heatshield a little.

You can also try readjusting the downpipe with the tranny mount.

Hope this helps.

I went to Sears and bought a really nice torque wrench and retorqued the Turbo to downpipe bolts. Tomorrow when its sunny again, I will redo the mount from trans again, as well as re torque the Dp to Catback. I put them on really tight only to find out they want 12-15lbs... I think thats the problem! I will try it again tomorrow. My only concern is that it didn't feel any different from the stage 1 tune :(

I didn't feel too much of a difference at first but wait, the ECU has to learn new parameters even with a good tune (like Rallitek) it takes a few days.

Also in mind that the low end pull (sometimes even jerk) can diminish as the torque is moved slightly to the right and the backpressure is reduced.

I read the exhaust downstream from the turbo should ideally be open, as big as possible, no backpressure. Before the turbo, proper exhaust gas velocity is key.

I noticed a huge difference between stage 1 and stage 2. Cobb stage 2 to TDC stage 2 was not a big difference, mostly more refined.

Do you still have your stock mufflers on? If so, that could be is what is causing the rattle. I (and a lot of others) have this issue with a 3 inch dp and stock mufflers, because the mufflers cant really cope with the increased flow. I initially thought i had a leak at the donut gasket where the dp meets the midpipe. But then i put on a perrin mid with new gaskets and it was perfectly fit, but the rasttle remained. It def sounds like it could be an exhaust leak or even the heatsheild rattling, but when i stand behind my car and rev it i can see the rattle is absolutely comin from the mufflers. Apparently this doesnt hurt anything it is just really annoying. It seems to subside a bit after the car warms up, but it is still noticeable. Of course I could be way off an u might not be experiencing these symptoms, but its certainly a possibility. u should have some one rev ur car while u stand behind it and cover muffler exits with ur hands and see if the rattle goes away. If so, after market mufflers are the solution!

Archived