LegacyGT.com

Warranty Questions

Hey guys, My Legacy GT warranty just expired a few days ago. So I'm trying to think if I want to purchase an extended warranty. The Subaru Place said they will give me 5 years or 75,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty for $1,644. So I want your guys opinion if I should get that warranty or should I forgot it since our Legacies are reliable but I'm just worried about if a turbo blows or something happens. Do u think this is a good deal for a warranty? I was thinking about modding my car but I"m unsure since I can't really afford things now. Ideas.. advice :confused:

Your powertrain which includes the turbo, engine, transmission and other pricier parts is warrantied for 5 yrs/60,000 miles. So you only gain 15k miles of warranty on the parts your concerned about at a rate of $100/1000 miles!

Put your $1644 in the bank and I have a strong feeling you'll have $1644 + compounded interest at 75k miles. Warranty companies bet on these odds to gain profits, why not be the winner not them?

Hey guys, My Legacy GT warranty just expired a few days ago. So I'm trying to think if I want to purchase an extended warranty. The Subaru Place said they will give me 5 years or 75,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty for $1,644. So I want your guys opinion if I should get that warranty or should I forgot it since our Legacies are reliable but I'm just worried about if a turbo blows or something happens. Do u think this is a good deal for a warranty? I was thinking about modding my car but I"m unsure since I can't really afford things now. Ideas.. advice :confused:

I got my LGT with the 7/100 extended warranty so I feel like I don't have to worry about for as long as I own my car. It's the peace of mind that's worth it to me, but for different people, it might be different. Another thing to consider is Murphy's law :): if you get it, the car won't break, but if you don't, it mostly definitely will.

Before the LGT, I owned a MB sedan, and as soon as the 4/60 factory warranty expired, all hell broke loose, and I ended up spending more than $8000 fixing them. And that's one of the reasons I got the extended warranty this time because you just never know.

yea that's true. I would just never know by time if I would have a problem but I"m just really curious if other members have a warranty and they still modified their cars or just wait until the warranty expired. That's the problem with Subaru's it's hard to tell if it will be reliable in the future since I plan to run the car to the ground. So perhaps the warranty will be useful since I can buy the Accessport and if I ever have a problem with my car I'll just unmarry it and revert it back to stock and get the whatever problem fixed;)

i canceled mine. my extended warranty seemed useless after so much heavy modding. if you don't plan to mod the car, or only to stg 1, then it may be worthwhile for peace of mind. personally, i wouldn't. as someone else stated, put the money into a CD at the bank and save it for a rainy day.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Extended warranties are a huge profit center. It is like a lottery ticket. Once in a while you'll be on the winning side of the equation, but on average you will lose money with each purchase.

In general, an extended warranty is only worthwhile if you can't afford to be without it. If you can afford to cover a reasonable repair bill once in a while (and an unreasonable one once in a blue moon), save your money. If you can't afford repair bills, consider a less expensive car.

ooo ok any other tips from members?

Edit:My car has 22,800 Miles. I would love to go to Stage 1 but I want to know what others are thinking?

Go stage 1...you will not be sorry!.

Take the $1,644, put in a nice mutual fund and watch it grow.

Rehab is for quitters.

Extended warranties are a huge profit center. It is like a lottery ticket. Once in a while you'll be on the winning side of the equation, but on average you will lose money with each purchase.

In general, an extended warranty is only worthwhile if you can't afford to be without it. If you can afford to cover a reasonable repair bill once in a while (and an unreasonable one once in a blue moon), save your money. If you can't afford repair bills, consider a less expensive car.

I understand the argument here against getting the extended warranty. Perhaps you guys have been all lucky, or I have been extremely unlucky, the cars I have ever owned, between year 4-8, pretty much every one of them costed me more than the average cost of the extended warranty of ~$2000. Now, this is my first new Subie, and I am hoping that it will be the exception to the rule, but I would like to get that peace of mind and it absolutely nothing to do with if I can afford the repair or not.

If you do buy an extended warranty don't purchase it from the dealer. You can save a lot of money and get equal or better coverage. Here is a link with good information about aftermarket (or direct) warranties.

http://www.consumerautomotiveresearch.com/?source=google&gclid=CMi97_mVpY0CFQUKYAodAi2ksQ

They recommend a couple of reputable companies. Another very good company is

http://www.warrantydirect.com/index.asp

If you live in California (like me) you are screwed. California passed legislation that requires these companies to jump through a bunch of hoops in order to be able to sell warranties online. Currently everyone is awaiting approval. Yay Bureaucracy!

Aftermarket warranty companies can be very difficult to deal with if you ever have a major problem. IMHO I would suggest against it.

As to the pricing - I was quoted $1036 for the 6/100 $100 ded (including turbo surcharge) from GraysonSubaru and when I called locally to two different dealerships, they said they'd sell it to me for the same price (I have to just stop by at this point). Grayson was nice and very easy to deal with, but since they are charging sales tax (in previous cars, I've bought from out of state dealers with no tax - perhaps the laws changed...) it's 6% here and 9% from them.

Since I'm on my second engine and 4th turbo, I'd really like some piece of mind, and the $1100 is well worth it. If I had to cover the repairs myself, it would have been 3-4 times that easy...

Aftermarket warranty companies can be very difficult to deal with if you ever have a major problem. IMHO I would suggest against it.

As to the pricing - I was quoted $1036 for the 6/100 $100 ded (including turbo surcharge) from GraysonSubaru and when I called locally to two different dealerships, they said they'd sell it to me for the same price (I have to just stop by at this point). Grayson was nice and very easy to deal with, but since they are charging sales tax (in previous cars, I've bought from out of state dealers with no tax - perhaps the laws changed...) it's 6% here and 9% from them.

Since I'm on my second engine and 4th turbo, I'd really like some piece of mind, and the $1100 is well worth it. If I had to cover the repairs myself, it would have been 3-4 times that easy...

From what my research, it seems that the Subaru Added Security is the one offered by SoA directly, and they have two levels, Basic (or something like that) and Gold Plus. I was able to get the Gold Plus for 7/100 with $50 deductible for less than $1600 when I purchased my car two weeks ago.

Whatever you do, read the fine print!

Also, don't forget to read the fine print!

That is so important, I typed it twice. I have a 7yr/100k warranty that was purchased at the subaru dealer. It was transfered to me free from the previous owner of my car.

As soon as my clutch went, I checked the warranty booklet...not covered. I then researched what else what else was covered and found out NOTHING is covered except premature engine and transmission failure. What a ripoff!

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

dalava - good point. Forgot to mention that this was the basic plan. Personally all I really wanted was to extend the powertrain warranty. All the rest I don't care about (or at least, I don't want to pay for a warranty on ;) but I don't have a choice. btw - he was about the same as you got for the 7/100 $50 ded....

Archived