LegacyGT.com

Reducing air intake temp.

Burba88

I have the cobb sf intake and was thinking of getting the cobb box for it so it can get forced air from the stock set up. I was wondering If any of you had any ideas or have seen anyone use any type of heat resistant insulation of some sort that I could wrap that box in to try and keep it colder for the air intake and keep it from getting hot from engine temp
KMT Tuned

IMHO, the intake temperature drops quickly when cool air is pulled through the snorkel on the stock box.. at least as seen by the IAT sensor. I personally believe the real performance robber is a heatsoaked TMIC.... just my 2 cents. Stock, to me, is like a cold air intake... which is why I won't ever replace it with an SRI.

IMHO, the intake temperature drops quickly as seen by the IAT sensor. I personally believe the real performance robber is a heatsoaked TMIC.... just my 2 cents.

This. Thermal coatings abound for TMIC/intake piping as well. I know grimmspeed does it for $50'ish.

Ah ok ok . Well thanks for the info I bought a aftermarket tmic to help. Would you guys think that cobb box does anything or more just for looks ? It does make the engine bay look cleaner .
KMT Tuned

Well thanks for the info I bought a aftermarket tmic to help.

Most aftermarket TMIC are worse for heat soak than OEM ones as they are usually all-aluminum (as opposed to the plastic end tanks on the OEM) and larger so they sit right over your turbo. If you already have the aftermarket TMIC installed I would highly recommend either a turbo blanket or an upgraded heat shield or both.

What ever you do for your intake set up, please make sure you are tuned for it. I think there are MAF scales on the COBB website for the SF intake, but I don't know if that is true for the box as well... definitely worth checking out before you buy.

I was thinking of gettin that air box and wrapping it with some kind of aluminum insulation wrap they have at Home Depot or that gold tape along with the sides of my tmic and intake tube. But also I was reading and It made sense that even if we wrapthatstuff the fresh air / cold air that's being pulled in wouldn't have time to get hot anyway so whats the point of wrapping it other then possibly keeping it a little cooler at a stand still.
KMT Tuned

Archived