LegacyGT.com

Free 02 Legacy L looking for more power!

I got a free 2002 Legacy L auto :( but it was from my parents so I'm not going to argue. I want to make it more powerful and handle better. I was thinking intake, exhaust, chip (??) lower it an inch or so and maybe bigger sway bars. Whats the best way to go about getting more power? I dont have the money to spend $3500 on a turbo. But I was hoping to get like 180-200awhp. Is that too much to ask? The issue is I cant find any parts for it. All the parts are for the newer gen Legacys. Whats the difference between my L and the GT of the same era? Can someone send me in the right direction for performance parts?

Thanks

I got a free 2002 Legacy L auto :( but it was from my parents so I'm not going to argue. I want to make it more powerful and handle better. I was thinking intake, exhaust, chip (??) lower it an inch or so and maybe bigger sway bars. Whats the best way to go about getting more power? I dont have the money to spend $3500 on a turbo. But I was hoping to get like 180-200awhp. Is that too much to ask? The issue is I cant find any parts for it. All the parts are for the newer gen Legacys. Whats the difference between my L and the GT of the same era? Can someone send me in the right direction for performance parts?

Thanks

OK, let's go slowly here....

Adding a CAI (Cold Air Intake....which BTW increases under hood noise), with a high flow exhaust will help, but not a ton (plus you'll need to get the ECM tuned for the reduced restrictions). Doing the above AND adding a Nitrous kit is the cheapest way to HP, BUT, YOU SHOULD NOT ADD BIG HP KITS TO THIS CAR!! The '02 L and GT have the same powertrain, but the GT's came with ground effects, bigger wheels and tires and more options.

Overall, the engine and tranny aren't made like the new GT's and can't handle lots of additional HP without mod's.

You can surprise a few people with a 35hp nitrous system, but you still won't take a WRX off the line, never mind a LGT turbo.

(Nitrous Systems makes NOS systems that can be used without ill effect, IF you avoid temptation to go big HP...)

200WHP!? you gotta be kidding me...

more like 200 hp to the crank max..

That was helpful...thanks...

OK, let's go slowly here....

Adding a CAI (Cold Air Intake....which BTW increases under hood noise), with a high flow exhaust will help, but not a ton (plus you'll need to get the ECM tuned for the reduced restrictions). Doing the above AND adding a Nitrous kit is the cheapest way to HP, BUT, YOU SHOULD NOT ADD BIG HP KITS TO THIS CAR!! The '02 L and GT have the same powertrain, but the GT's came with ground effects, bigger wheels and tires and more options.

Overall, the engine and tranny aren't made like the new GT's and can't handle lots of additional HP without mod's.

You can surprise a few people with a 35hp nitrous system, but you still won't take a WRX off the line, never mind a LGT turbo.

(Nitrous Systems makes NOS systems that can be used without ill effect, IF you avoid temptation to go big HP...)

So its probably not worth spending the money on any of that? I guess I'll just save my money and do a JDM swap some point in the future.

Archived