LegacyGT.com

Diff going out I think?

SO I just purchased a 05 Subaru Legacy GT Turbo a week or so ago and when i turn my wheel harder to one way or the other i get a chatter and the rear end shakes. I also think my diverter valve is going bad; it wont hold boost... Any suggestions or ideas on what all this is?

Also were can I get cheep new brakes that are good, a new center consol radio cover plastic piece and winter tires with wheels?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Wow, sucks to have so much crap to take care of on a car you just got.

I'm not much help on diagnosing the rear differential, sorry.

Brakes - there's good and there's cheap. If you're just looking for pads - great all around pads are Carbotech Bobcats. They're not the cheapest though. Axxis Ultimates are quite a bit less, but dust like crazy and wear out quickly (about twice as fast as the Carbotechs).

Center trim - best bet is the dealership.

Winter Tires - Here, Nasioc.com, Craigslist. Lots of options there.

Good luck with everything.

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you do not do your brakes yourself, beware of cheap shops. I tried a cheap shop (Just Brakes $99) and they intentionally put just a small amount of air into the passengers side brake lines (affecting both front and rear brakes). Having unevan braking will be murder on your rotors which is a much more expensive item than brake pads.

The way to tell if air has been introduced is to push your brakes in. The downward motion will stop but keep pushing and the brake pedal will drop another half inch or so when the air in the line compresses. Liquids are not compressible (not entirely true) but air is. That is why your pedal stops for an instant on the way down.

strike

SO I just purchased a 05 Subaru Legacy GT Turbo a week or so ago and when i turn my wheel harder to one way or the other i get a chatter and the rear end shakes. I also think my diverter valve is going bad; it wont hold boost... Any suggestions or ideas on what all this is?

Also were can I get cheep new brakes that are good, a new center consol radio cover plastic piece and winter tires with wheels?

Thanks for your help everyone!

SO I just purchased a 05 Subaru Legacy GT Turbo a week or so ago and when i turn my wheel harder to one way or the other i get a chatter and the rear end shakes.

quote]

I had what felt like chatter in my '97 when on the wheel hard (almost felt like a stuck caliper in the rear)....like the drivetrain was binding. Turns out, it was. The center clutch pack was shot. If your '05 was driven with tires that had more than a 3/16" circumferal difference, the center diff is probably toast (most tire places don't even know to measure the diameter of NEW tires....I had BFGoodrich replace 4 or mine as a result of a manufacturing defect resulting in two of my four tires having a 1/2" larger circumference...bad juju).

Your friendly Scooby dealer could tell you for sure.

$1300 average cost p&l.

As far as brakes, I went to Autozone and bought the ceramic composite pads and mated them with new rotors all around. Gave me a much better feel with much less dust and, with over 40k miles since, no warped rotors.

Good luck!

Archived