LegacyGT.com

Opinions on these choices

TwoTone

This is going to be our first Subie. It will be my wifes car and her current car is a 05.5 VW Jetta TDI.

So here is my dilemma and would just like some feedback from current owners.

The TDI has a ton of torque since it's a diesel, and she is used to it and likes it. She also wants a manual.

Originally we were looking at GTs since her 2 must haves are manual and leather. Recently a friend mentioned that he had his leather interior redone and was very happy with it. So I looked into it and I can get a leather interior for the Legacy for $995 with 3/36 warranty.

I can't even phrase my question well. So if we go with a 2.5 Premium 6 speed added leather, besides the engine/wheels, what else are we missing from the GT?

Are those differences worth $9k

The turbo is quick, however have her test drive a 2.5 6sp first and see what she thinks before bumping up to a turbo. Either way, I think a 2.5 premium 6sp is still gunna be faster than her tdi jetta :lol:

I would buy the car with leather already, instead of adding it after the fact.

Has she driven a Legacy yet? It's going to be a lot different than a TDI torque-wise (and a huge mpg drop). Also, keep in mind that the GT is actually only available as "GT Limited" now, which is why the options over a "Premium" car vary much more than they do over the "Premium Limited" version (which stickers for $6k less, rather than $9k less than a GT).

The biggest thing you get with the GT is the turbo motor. 2.5i is 170hp and the GT is 265hp out of the box. The difference in driving experience (and fuel economy) is substantial. Good luck with your decision. Here's the run-down...

For 2011, GT adds (over 2.5 Premium):

Turbo

18" Wheels

Fog lights

Hood scoop

Heated side mirrors

Dual exhaust

Power passenger seat

Carbon fiber interior trim

9-speaker audio upgrade

6-disc CD Changer

XM Radio

Dual-zone climate control

Moonroof

Wiper de-icer

Heated front seats

The turbo is quick, however have her test drive a 2.5 6sp first and see what she thinks before bumping up to a turbo. Either way, I think a 2.5 premium 6sp is still gunna be faster than her tdi jetta :lol:

I would buy the car with leather already, instead of adding it after the fact.

Don't be so quick to knock the TDI as being so much slower than the 2.5i. The 2.5i runs around 17 seconds in the 1/4 mile and a stock 05 TDI runs around 18. The TDI actually probably feels faster because of all the torque, and the TDI beats the Subaru in 0-60.

Don't be so quick to knock the TDI as being slow. The 2.5i runs around 17 seconds in the 1/4 mile and a stock 05 TDI runs around 18. The TDI actually probably feels faster because of all the torque.

That's what I think I'll have a hard time getting across. Lucky I actually found a Premium 6 speed somewhat close for her to test drive and see if see can live with.

All the hatchback we've looked at don't have the space a truck provides. But thanks for the idea.

She liked the Premium Limited we drove, just doesn't like auto, so I hope the stick has enough pep and I can save almost 9k.

That's what I think I'll have a hard time getting across. Lucky I actually found a Premium 6 speed somewhat close for her to test drive and see if see can live with.

Be careful with the engine choice. Ensure she is very satisfied with the 2.5i over an LGT. Test drive both. She may really love the turbo over the 2.5i.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

Be careful with the engine choice. Ensure she is very satisfied with the 2.5i over an LGT. Test drive both. She may really love the turbo over the 2.5i.

The WRX should be close correct? The closest LGT is 5 hours round trip so that's not going to happen.

The WRX should be close correct? The closest LGT is 5 hours round trip so that's not going to happen.

I'd see if you can't talk the dealer into arranging a test drive or something. The engine will be somewhat close, but the overall size of the car's is VERY different. A 2011 LGT isn't going to feel like a WRX with a bigger trunk. Many driving aspects may be much closer to 2.5i 6-speed, but with significantly better acceleration.

For most people, the new WRX performance will be a decent approximation of the new LGT. If she drives the WRX and likes the power but misses other things about the Legacy, then you know you need to have her drive an LGT. If the power doesn't make her swoon, maybe you can save some money (as you've suggested) by skipping over the GT. :)

I would expect the WRX to be visually perceived as more like the Jetta since they are very close to the same dimensions. IMO the WRX is also going to feel more like the Jetta to her in a "mid-compact" sense, as the cabin in the Legacy will seem larger as well. The new Legacy is larger than both the Jetta/WRX in every respect, including a substantially larger trunk (if that is on your list of important features - it's 3 cubic feet larger than the WRX sedan).

For most people, the new WRX performance will be a decent approximation of the new LGT. If she drives the WRX and likes the power but misses other things about the Legacy, then you know you need to have her drive an LGT. If the power doesn't make her swoon, maybe you can save some money (as you've suggested) by skipping over the GT. :)

I would expect the WRX to be visually perceived as more like the Jetta since they are very close to the same dimensions. IMO the WRX is also going to feel more like the Jetta to her in a "mid-compact" sense, as the cabin in the Legacy will seem larger as well. The new Legacy is larger than both the Jetta/WRX in every respect, including a substantially larger trunk (if that is on your list of important features - it's 3 cubic feet larger than the WRX sedan).

Thanks. That's the game plan I've set up. She drove a Legacy Auto already and liked the car a lot overall, she's just not sure if what she did miss was the feel of a stick and/or the torque of the Jetta.

So we'll drive the Premium Stick, if it has enough power and it was just the stick she missed, then great I save 9k. If she drives the WRX and has to have that power, then I know it's a GT I need.

Archived