LegacyGT.com

"New" '05 Legacy GT...what mods, in what order?

Ok, I've read quite a bit and believe it or not, I've utilized the "search" function!

My car: '05 Limited, 1 owner, 47K miles, 5 auto. I've read a little about the "banjo bolt" issue. Is it really a big issue?

Also, in order of mods (and trying to keep under $5-600), what should be done first?

1. From my reading, I understand the '05 has a catted uppipe which should be gutted or replaced? Any suggestions?

2. Downpipe. Looks like ERZ catted is the way to go.

3. AP (very expensive) or get the VAG-Com cable on EBAY and get INFAMOUS 1 to tune. I understand I have to use a laptop...new to tuning so must say I'm a little hesitant to do so.

4. AVO panel filter. Doesn't sound like replacing intake is cost effective since it's a good setup from factory.

I guess that's it for now. Maybe down the road, a tb exhaust but not yet.

Must say, this is a great site and a wealth of info. Anyone know a good, respectable, shop in Northern VA (Winchester, VA) area that has worked and tuned Subaru's? Thanks!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. You can get an STi up-pipe for less than $75 shipped on NASIOC. Just search for it. That's what I did.

2. ERZ is a great downpipe. I have the catless version.

3. You have to pay to play. You can get a used AP on this website for $450 or less. OR you can find a Version 1 AP on this website and trade it in for a brand new Version 2 at Cobb plus $395 and you got yourself a brand new AP!

4. That filter should be fine. The stock intake is a great intake for power under 300 hp IMO.

Sold: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B #104 of 500

At the very least, check the banjo filter. If it is clean, leave it in and change the oil , frequently, as in hard service.

Think suspension mods first.:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I to have a 'new' 05 legacy GT.

The first thing I did was install the Leptronix Aux In.

Next is tires.

After that, its either sway bars or coilovers. I have not decided which ones to get....maybe both

But I would agree with robinlsb and Max. Why put money into the car to make it go faster if the stock suspension is barely adequate for stock power levels

Sounds like you actually worked on this before you posted. Good job.

I did power before handling, but only a month or two. If you are going to do it little by little, I would start with handling. Good luck with your modding.

It's cool; I'm with the band

To confirm, any 04-07 STi or 07-09 LGT uppipe will work in the 05-06 LGTs. To the OP, I would do power first and suspension second. For power you are on the right track, STi uppipe, ERZ/CNT downpipe, and I would recommend the Accessport, because not only do you get the staged tunes, you can monitor your parameters realtime. As far as suspension I personally like my BC BR coilovers.
On the search for a new DD...

Think suspension mods first.

X2

It will give you time to figure out what you really want.

+100

Suspension and brakes if needed. But think really hard and realistically about what your needs are. I learned this the hard way. Do at least F/R sways...

1. Replace your UP. They sell M2 racing ones on ebay for $50 brand new. Just make sure you do the resistor mod. There is a forum on how to do this. When buying up pipes I personally would try to avoid the flex joint. Over time they can leak and also break up causing damage to the turbo.

2. As far as a DP goes, ERZ is great. I personally have a COBB catless that I picked up for $100 off of a friend that was parting his out.

3. I would wait on the AP until you do a TB exhaust.

4. The stock intake setup is fine. Like someone said until you get up to 300+ hp. I just put a K&N drop in filter in my car. Im happy with it.

Suspension mods are also awesome and make a huge difference, so do performance. It all depends on what you like better in my opinion. Also, look at the member FS threads if you are on a tight budget. Im in college so I know what its like. I found all of my parts at awesome prices.

Lastly, some mods that make a big difference is your cars look that can be done super cheap are painting stock grille, blacking or clearing headlights, and painting wheels. You can do your grille and headlights for a can of paint.

Good luck,

Mark

I'm basically in the same boat as you are. I have decided to switch to Koni inserts as my current struts are wearing out by now... but I always think about snow handling and know that stiff sway bars are actually not a good idea on loose surfaces. That's why I'm considering installing power mods first, followed by suspension, if only because of the season.

Is my logic above sound? OP might not have to consider this factor at all given his location.

1. Replace oil pickup tube

Your mileage suggests this should be top priority. I got a 2006 GT recently and the oil pickup let go at 42,000 miles. No modifications whatsoever - it is primarily a mileage/time thing. Google "subaru oil pickup failure".

I was lucky I was still under the extended drivetrain warranty and got a new short block. You won't be. I will be replacing mine again after another 20,000 miles.

GotTurboWut,

My brother lives in Winchester and he has the RBP 05 LGT wagon with Black OZs. You should find him on the road and harass him lol.

My first mods were Cobb RSB, STS ( I know you have the auto), Amber delete, painted grill. IMO doing the up without dp is a waste of time. I went with the grimmspeed coated up and I love it. Also someone mentioned the crossover pipe, I'd do that too, free up the exhaust flow for quicker spool up. And save up for the AP, I have one for sale btw. Good luck and have fun.

It's not a "widespread" problem, but catastrophic if it happens to your engine.

Killer B pick up tube and be done with it:

http://www.killerbmotorsport.com/index_files/UltimateOiPickup.htm

$200+labor for a pick up and you don't have your car for a few hours, or

$2000 for a short block + labor and you will be lucky to have your car back in a week...

But it probably won't happen to your car. By time you see the oil light flicker it's most likely too late.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Archived