LegacyGT.com

Mishimoto Alum Radiator fitment for LGT

I posted in a vendor thread over on nasioc asking about potential Mishimoto radiator fitments for the 05+ LGT. I got a response from the vendor indicating that only Impreza models were available and not the LGT. I wasn't satisfied with this response considering that the LGT uses the same engine as the Impreza, so I sent Mishimoto an email and here's the reply:

"Thanks for your interest in the Mishimoto product line! The MMRAD-WRX-01 radiator will fit the Subaru Legacy Gt models without modification since they are based on the same chasis.

Best,

Mishimoto USA"

I find it ironic that applying a little logic and sending a quick email was more than a vendor could do in light of making a potential sale.

Good news for anyone looking to replace their radiator and needing more cooling.

http://www.mishimoto.com/subaru-radiator-performance-aluminum.html

I will never understand people's fascination with all-aluminum radiators, but good luck to everyone :)

Maybe part of the answer is an all aluminum radiator won't have a plastic-to-alum crimp fail at some point? I've read about quite a few WRX's on nasioc that have had the stock radiator fail and needed a replacement. This rad seems like a more robust longterm solution and might even provide a more efficient cooling core. I haven't had any rad trouble, but I figure it can't hurt planning upgrade paths just in case. This was more of an FYI since I didn't find any radiator info by searching here.

Opie, have there been fitment issues with these in the past? The OE fan shroud fitment on one of these rad was a question in my mind.

I will guaranty you that an all aluminum radiator will leak way before a aluminum and plastic one will :)

Please explain, is it a corrosion issue or the specific type of aluminum normally used, maybe alum that isn't coated? I have a Honda CBR motorcycle with an all aluminum radiator and I haven't heard of any issues with those as long as distilled water is used, so I am curious to know why car radiators would have an issue.

What happens is that the end tanks are thincker gauge then the center core. The welds hodling the 2 together fail from the different expansion rates of the differnt thincknesses of the metal. If you read carefully when people are talking about the glory of all aluminum racing radiators you will note discussions of pinhole leaks and other problems. For a racing application that can be entertaining, for a daily driver that sees thousands of heat cycles it is annoying and expensive. Also, the Legacy has plenty of cooling capacity.

What happens is that the end tanks are thincker gauge then the center core. The welds hodling the 2 together fail from the different expansion rates of the differnt thincknesses of the metal. If you read carefully when people are talking about the glory of all aluminum racing radiators you will note discussions of pinhole leaks and other problems. For a racing application that can be entertaining, for a daily driver that sees thousands of heat cycles it is annoying and expensive. Also, the Legacy has plenty of cooling capacity.

Interesting, I'll have to read up on this some more. Do you think that they are having any porosity issues with the welds themselves that could be contributing to the issue?

Thanks for the info, the engineer in me just has to ask questions.

I don't have a fascination really but I was given this radiator for free and I like shiney stuff...

Should I just turn it in for the scrap metal? I'd rather not deal with a leaky radiator later, I was just going to switch it along with my coolant flush since everything was empty.

And to Opie, is the fitment different between the 2 cars? I swear someone put a STi radiator in the LGT a while ago.

• 2 months later...
I will guaranty you that an all aluminum radiator will leak way before a aluminum and plastic one will :)

that being said, dont trust the stock intercooler which has plastic endtanks that fail at increased levels of boost.

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Just my .02 cents from the e39 5-series world.....almost all 1997-2003 BMW 525s, 528s, 530s, and 540is have now had their cooling system fail (typically by 60-90k).

This was due to extensive use of plastic in the radiator necks, expansion tank, and other areas. The "cure" is to replace these with a well built Zionsville all aluminum radiator etc.....and more robust parts at that.

Now I'm not trying to say that there aren't plenty of well made plastic/aluminum radiators that don't fail for 250-300k, or that there aren't all aluminum radiators made with consistent gauge aluminum that don't develop leaks like Rao pointed out....

Just that, well, you have to judge each product by it's overall merits.

The best way to avoid ever worrying about this is to flush your cooling system every 2 years to prevent it from going acidic in the first place and eating your cooling parts.

Joe

Archived