LegacyGT.com

Timing Belt Question

I'm at about 75k miles on my 2.5i, so the mileage recommendation for a timing belt change is quite a ways out. But, the manual also recommends the change at 105 months (8.75 years) which I'm coming close to. What do you guys recommend... wait for the 105k miles? Go with the 105 month recommendation? Split the difference?

I was thinking of maybe just doing it at 90k when I will do all my fluids, plugs, etc. associated with that mileage.

I would do it at 90K miles, pretty much splits the difference for you.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I'm at a similar stage. Bringing the car in next week to get timing belt done.

I'm getting the belt done, my only concern is I've been brought up to replace idler pulleys, tensioner pulleys & water pump. The dealer, on the other hand did not recommend the water pump. Anyone have advice / guidance, should I or should I not get the water pump changed at the same time?

Thanks good sir. I used to have a killer shop...but I guess they were honest, and they went under because of it :(.

Been difficult to find an alternative shop. I think this might be my last one (dealer is charging me $1500) to do it. Next time, I'm doing this stuff myself.

Thanks for the quick reply / guidance.

^ DIY it, or ask the canehdianJ / Lildrunkensmurf / seatsafetyswitch crew to help you with it.. it's not that difficult.

Up here, snackers / GrantC / Rich / carguyjon / jer are the go-to guys for that.. snackers himself has done over a dozen dohc cars..

^ DIY it, or ask the canehdianJ / Lildrunkensmurf / seatsafetyswitch crew to help you with it.. it's not that difficult.

Up here, snackers / GrantC / Rich / carguyjon / jer are the go-to guys for that.. snackers himself has done over a dozen dohc cars..

Thanks good sir. I gather you are talking about Members on WSC :). I will go ask them there.

Thanks everyone for the help/guidance :)

Other odd question; Local shop is offering upgrade to the tomei timing belt kit (stronger belt + stronger guide).

I've tried to find reviews on the kit on the forum but wasn't able to. Is it worth the $200 extra to step up to that kit? I'm a daily commuter, I don't consider myself a hard driver, but all love to giver when overtaking etc.

recommendations / thoughts?

hey guys, I'm in the range myself for the timing belt. Anyone know of trusty shops in CT? I got a quote at $1020 for replacing the belt, tensioners, pulleys and water pump.

Depending how far into ct it might be worth the drive down to us.

We can get it done in one day for you while you wait.

Mike

Yeah I looked at your website, Mike. Looks like a great deal and its what I'm using for price comparison, just looking for a place more local but I may end up taking a cruise down there...

I'm right in Middletown CT. Thanks for the help guys and apologies if I'm thread jacking here!

No Problemo, hope it helps get you a good price local. If not we're here for yah.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived