LegacyGT.com

BNR68 E85 Update

FiftyTwoEighty

For those of you who are interested, I have resolved the fueling issue that I had with the BNR68 and the DW740's. More than likely, it was a combination of fuel pressure and the static flow rate of the 740's. I picked up a new DW65 pump along with some DW850 side feeds.

I may still tap out the 850's but that will be the point of diminishing returns on the BNR68. Currently, it is at 84% IDC / 10.8:1 AFR at 6800rpm and 15.5 psi. For now, I'm okay with it running a little rich. Its certainly better than the alternative.

Harvey will be retuning it for me in June. I'll rely on his experience for which thresholds to target but I suspect it will be a peak PSI of around 22-23 psi with a taper down to 17 psi. It'll just be nice to be able to hold a consistent AFR without setting the limiter to 6000 rpm.

Meanwhile, I'll be putting the 740's up for sale if anyone is interested. Pics and original flow sheets to be posted separately. I still have to take pictures of them.

Why did your 740's not work? I am planing on going E85 with an AVO fuel pump. I know the 740's are not really big enough, but I know I will get some sort of performance bump.

They simply wouldn't flow enough for the BNR68 but I suspect that fuel pressure was an issue for me as well. Just keep in mind that you need to be able to flow 30% more for E85.

And I will be sure to let you know how it goes Dave. :)

Were you using the stock fuel pump before?

No, it was a Walbro 255 but it may have been defective or I simply didn't have it sealed well. Whatever the case, the DW65 was a much better fit and was well worth the investment to make sure that I had enough fuel pressure.

And I hear you Legend. Several months on 91 octane is a humbling experience when you get a sense for what E85 can do for you. :)

Archived