LegacyGT.com

AMSOIL ATF/5eats

I just wanted to let all the 5eat guys,i am one too,that amsoil atf is now available for our trannys. i spoke with company today and my friend told me that the atf had been reformulated back in december 2006 and was now approved to be used in our subarus,the addition of the atf now being available+ a tranny cooler could really be some good news! should bring down tranny temps alone and even more with cooler. let me know if i can help anyone interested.:)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things I do not take a gamble with:

1) Subaru Coolant

2) Subaru ATF

Would love to hear otherwise from Subaru though...

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

I just wanted to let all the 5eat guys,i am one too,that amsoil atf is now available for our trannys. i spoke with company today and my friend told me that the atf had been reformulated back in december 2006 and was now approved to be used in our subarus,the addition of the atf now being available+ a tranny cooler could really be some good news! should bring down tranny temps alone and even more with cooler. let me know if i can help anyone interested.:)

What are the intervals when changing this fluid according to amsoil?

One more question what would actually create lower tempratures, the oil of the cooler?

and since it is now ok does that mean warranty will not be comprised with using non-subaru ATF?

I'll be picking some up @ years end along with a few more filters.....with ATF fluid I change every 16-17k for me regardless if it needs it or not.

Cheap insurance IMO;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

OK, .first of all the temps are going to be lower because there will be less friction,the result is going to be lower temperatures,by adding a tranny cooler,(optional) it will help lower them even more. this will not void your warranty on your tranny because the atf meets and exceeds the performance specifications required by subaru think of it like this motor oils are different,but they all have to meet certain specifications so you can use any type of motor oil that you choose as long as it meets the specs.subaru does not tell you to use a specific type of motor oil or else we will void your warranty.bottom line if it meets their specs then it is perfectly safe to use with no fear of voiding your warranty. as far as intervals,which i dont agree with amsoil recommends 50,000 miles intervals under severe conditions or 100,000 miles under normal conditions, myself i will not ever go over 20,000 on the tranny. the amsoil tranny filter is also the same filter used as the oil filter on our cars which means you get the nanotech filter for your transmission too. i hope this helps explain things a little, believe me as soon as i went stage 2.5 last year i am looking for things to make my car last as long as possible.:spin:

I hope i explained this in as simple terms as possible. i actually thought that more people would be interested to see we actually have another option available now. perhaps i should have put this over in turbo powertrains. perhaps someone can move this thread ,might help

To the best of my knowledge amsoil is the only one of the three that you mention that makes atf formulated for the automatic tranny. if the others dont meet the specs required by subaru then it may affect your warranty,if you have any trouble.royal purple is about one of the worst oils IMHO that anyone can use,and im not just saying that cause i use amsoil either.if i can figure out how to get it on here rp finished 5th out of 8 oils independently tested in the four ball bearing test for scarring. pennzoil platinum was 2nd rp finished behind quaker state

Just curious but can you ballpark how much it decreases the tranny temperature?

Also if a gas station is an amsoil dealer do you think they have this new ATF yet?

VTGT, just a estimate now but from what i have read it is not at all uncommon to have a 20-30 degree temp drop in trannys,some have even had as much as a 40 degree drop,but i would say at least 20-25 degrees. i dont know what kind of tranny fluid the gas station is carrying or how long it has been stocked there,shoot me a line and let me know what they are gonna charge you and i will cut you some slack if at all possible.;) dont let them rip you off,i only am doing this amsoil to make a few pennys at best i wont rip no one off,you guys have been good as gold whenever myself or someone has had a question,only hope to return the favor.:)

Depends @ what mod level you are @.........

Stage II+ it's a good idea to change every 18-20K....f/r diffs every other time

I am sure there will be lots of opinions on this one but I consider it cheap Ins.;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Depends @ what mod level you are @.........

Stage II+ it's a good idea to change every 18-20K....f/r diffs every other time

I am sure there will be lots of opinions on this one but I consider it cheap Ins.;)

I Assume (uh oh) that when you say every other time you mean every other oil change? If so is $40 a diff reasonable (to have it done)?

$40 a diff is high if you're talkin dino oil. Full synthetic gear oil (75W-90) for the diffs is about $10 a quart & together, they total less than 3 quarts. Changing the oil in them is also just as easy as a regular oil change - except there's no filter, so it should be faster/easier/cheaper.

FWIW - I've been stage 2 for 20/30k of my car's mileage & just did the 30k maint. The rear diff oil was fairly dark - needed to be changed, but the front oil wasn't too bad. I think what he meant was drain & fill the trans pan every 15-20k miles (3.5 quarts outta the total 9.8) and change the diff oils every other trans change (every ~30-40k miles).

I'm working on a 30k maint. thread for automatic transmissions over on subaruoutback.org - if I ever finish it, I'll probably cross post the whole thing over here. You can take a look if you want to do it yourself - it's really just as easy as a regular oil change.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8515

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

That's pretty early for a full flush. Recommended maint. is to flush at 60k & although my ATF was somewhat brown at 30k, it certainly was ok.

Archived