LegacyGT.com

transmission filter

Put my boost gauge in friday,used the threads in here to help with install, i routed thru firewall and had to take battery out and noticed behind headlight a small filter that resembled an oil filter,looked a little closer and it said AT transmission filter. you guys probaly already knew this but it was kinda interesting that they placed the filter behind the headlight and that that is the kind of filter our auto's have.seems that it would be easy to change out.:icon_tong

• 4 years later...
  • Mega Users
It is a good idea to change the fluid if you drive hard though. The only "requirement" from subaru is to change the ATF and diff fluid every 15k miles with constant towing. Otherwise it's just inspections every 30k miles.

Fluid: Drain and Fill every 30k

The filter is not the same part number as oil filter. They are completely different. The trans filter does not 'filter' as much as an oil filter but the trans filter does not have a bypass like an oil filter. This is important because under high psi, the trans fluid will still be filtered unlike an oil filter

Yes the trans filter is a non serviceable part because it most likely will not clog. Mainly only service when the filter itself is damaged. And the filter cost $30, I suggest not to skimp and put a $6 oil filter in place

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

• Mega Users
BTW, the trans filter and oil filter are very different internally. They are only the same part when looking at non-oem filters. Most oil filter makers only care that the filter will fit. There is probably no need to replace the ATF filter unless you are very anal about your maintenance. If the filter is accumulating enough crap to be clogging up, then you have some issues with the transmission.

Archived