LegacyGT.com

Power steering woes

I have an '05 Legacy GT with 100K miles. My power steering pump developed a nasty leak, probably because I over-tightened the belt. So I just installed a reman pump from Auto Zone. The manual called for Dexron III ATF; Auto Zone had Dexron VI, said it's backwards compatible; I used that. When I first started the car up, the pump was whiny/buzzy, that quieted down after a little while. Dropped it off the jacks, went lock-to-lock like a champ. Took it for a drive. Pump moaned a bit at low RPM, couldn't hear it at higher RPM; that also quieted down after a little while. Worked great going around corners, then I took it for figure 8s in a parking lot. That's where things went south. When going lock-to-lock quickly while driving slowly, it seems to lose pressure, and it gets very hard to turn the wheel. Turning the wheel more slowly, it's fine. I also noticed that now when I'm standing still and going lock-to-lock, when it gets to the end, it makes a nasty shuddery noise and pushes back a bit. Those are all the symptoms I've noticed so far. The fluid level is perfect.

Thoughts:

• Belt too loose - no squealing, and no apparent problems from the alternator
  • Wrong fluid
  • Weak pump
  • Belt too tight

Anyone? Thanks!

I'm guessing you now have the air bubble in the system.

Jack up the front end, start the engine, turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock a few times.

I'm not a big fan to doing this with the car on the ground or quickly.

Go to a parking lot and slowly do figure 8's.

See if that helps.

Or just go do slow figure 8's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had a similar issue and there is a walkthrough here on flushing the power steering system that I followed and it worked like a charm. You can search for it but you just remove the belt from the pump and remove the return line from reservoir (it is the one with the cooling fin) place a catch pan under the line a Gatorade bottle worked fine for me. Turn the pump slowly clockwise by hand and catch the old fluid in it. Do not let the reservoir run dry keep filling it back up as you go. Then turn the steering wheel slowly lock to lock. (with the front wheels off the ground and make sure to keep reservoir full) When clean fluid starts coming out just put the line and belt back on. The walkthrough gives a more detailed account of how to do it. But I had the same problem I had an air pocket in the system somewhere and I couldn't get it out until I followed this procedure. It takes about 1 quart of fluid and I used Valvoline synthetic transmission fluid.

Max, you are an asset. Jacked up the front, half a dozen slow turns lock to lock, back to the parking lot, figure-8d the heck out of it, never faltered. You da MAN!

jgross, thanks to you too. I went ahead and did the belt-off flush just for fun. Clean from start to finish, but I appreciate you getting me to do what I should have done in the first place.

• 2 years later...

Archived