LegacyGT.com

91 Engine Swap

91-93 same motor, same everything........

but i wouldn't just drop it in... take a few minutes while your motor is out to "freshen" it up with new head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, timing belt, etc.... its so mush easier out of the car...

If the 93 is also a 2.2 it will swap right over. Any 90-94 will be a direct swap. A 95-96 could be made to work.

The head gaskets on the 2.2s usually last forever. I have over 264k on my 2.2 w/original HGs.

But it would be a good time to freshen it up like mnstrmech said. Definitely do the timing belt and pulleys, cam seals, cam shaft support o rings, front crank seal, reseal the oil pump, new water pump, replace the crappy plastic oil separator plate, check the rear main seal for leaks, replace valve covers, check the HLAs (hydraulic lash adjusters) to see if any have collapsed. New plugs, wires, fuel and air filter, clean the throttle body and MAF. Check the injectors and coil pack with a multimeter. Do all that and you'll be good to go for another 100k at least.

A timing kit can be had on eBay w/water pump for $125 or so.

Super easy, you can use a motor all the way from 97, just have to use your I/m and injectors...I'm doing the same motor swap you are with a 95 motor...I was surprised that everything is the same even the cam cap is the same, the older style cam sensor bolts in with the new ones. The end of phase one motor in 97 impreza and legacy use the internals from phase 2 ej22. Much better valve train, head flow and new pistons.

I would have thought that was obvious, if he is asking a question like that then he has some mechanical skill...and really no need to start another thread this is covered throughout this board...swaps and conversions ring a bell? Kind of a vague question if you ask me.

Not trying to be a cock but I mentioned to use I/m and injectors, and the bulkhead harness is only different if you are using an intake manifold from an automatic car in late 94 usdm model year. I know this because I just looked at 5 ej22's from 90 to 94, and I have the one from my bd sedan on my motor stand.

• 2 weeks later...

im lookin do do an engine swap on my 90 legacy lookin for the motor still and and didnt see anthing on this post about swapin the non turbo 2.2 with a turbo 2.2 Im prety new to the sight and subarus and havent looked at many other threads

any one know of a doner in the michigan area for a good price any info will be awesome

• 2 weeks later...

Archived