LegacyGT.com

• I Donated

Misfire on cylinder 1 will NOT go away.....p0301 is the code....no other codes are present

Things I've checked / replaced / cleaned / ect

Timing

Compression

Leak Down

Timing

Valve Clearance

IAC

MAF

Injectors

Plugs

Wires

Coilpack

Wiring

Knock Sensor

Fuel Pressure

Vacuum Leaks

Throttle Body

Coolant Temp Sensor

Camshaft Position Sensor

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Throttle Position Sensor

and probably a few other things I'm not remembring off the top of my head

I'm starting to think that the ECU may be bad? What are the chances of this? I've never seen a Subaru ECU take a dump before...unless there may be a short somewhere inside the wiring harness....but how would I trace that down?

I can feel the misfire between 3100 - 3800rpms. It happens between 10% and 50% throttle....but if I floor it the misfire will go away.

And this would be my question for Johnegg....or whoever else might know

I have a few extra ECUs from automatic 2.5s. Its pretty much plug and play except I have to ground out one of the pins right? I don't remember what pin it was

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

what wires , how old and how did you check them?

if you haven't yet, move the #1 wire to a different cylinder. see if the miss moves with the wire.

depending on the year, some ecus will swap, more so for the earlier ones, and some will not. by 98 they moved some pins and wires around although the car will run with another ecu it will throw codes.

the car should run and will not ''blow up'' if you use the wrong ECU, especially if you stay close to your year. but you may get phantom codes.

96 and 97 swap pretty well, but 98 - 99 not so much. outback to "L" can be a challenge too.

but if you make the swap and you don't get the p0301, (even if you get the evap code and the traction control code, 96 "L" ecu into a 98 outback) then it is probably the ecu.

but like you, i would doubt the ECU is the cause. it obviously wasn't the first thing you suspected. but anything can happen.

re-check the wires, borrow one from another car maybe.

• I Donated

My car is now throwing codes 301, 302, 303, and 304. They are not accompanied by anything else...Just a misfire on EVERY cylinder.

Has anyone come across a mass air flow sensor that was bad but didn't throw a code?

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

I actually have plans on doing that when he is here haha.

I've already swapped the ECU out and it didn't make a difference

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated

List from first to last

Mass Air Flow

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Camshaft Position Sensor

Throttle Position Sensor

Wiring Harness

Coil Pack

I know you don't have an extra MAF....so I'll just borrow the one on your car for a test drive or something and see if my problem goes away

On a side note....I'm getting a pretty low idle (400rpms). My check engine light kind of dims when I use the blinkers at idle. Think this is a short somewhere or just not enough juice from the car because of low idle? I'm putting my money on low idle

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

LOL. sigh. you never once thought maybe i should clean the air filter when you bought it??? geez man. lol.

On a side note to make you feel better. when i got my first car. I drove it for a year with out checking my air filter and when i did. I found that It had sucked a bird intoit. and it was trashed and smelled soooo bad .... It took 3 hours to clean the old air filter out.

I drove it with that bird in there god only knows how long. lol.

• 4 weeks later...
Did you ever find what the issue was? I'm having a nearly identical problem with 99 2.5RS. Random misfires on random cylinders not accompanied by anything else. Replaced MAF, both O2 sensors, knock sensor, fuel filter, plugs, wires, coil pack, injectors, IACV with no avail.

• I Donated

No I actually haven't. I gave up.

I took off my air filter and the check engine light and misfires went away for a day...but then came back

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Archived