LegacyGT.com

ok this has probly been brought up before. Im filling up my gas tank with 87 gas, should i bee filling it up with 93 instead or doesnt matter what kind of gas you fill it up with.

Fill it up with whatever the driver's manual says to fill it up with. Most (unmodified) normally aspirated engines are designed to run on lower octane. Your manual should say to fill it up with 87 (or 89).

Filling it up with Supreme isn't necessary and will just clog shit up in your engine and fuel system.

Fill it up with whatever the driver's manual says to fill it up with. Most (unmodified) normally aspirated engines are designed to run on lower octane. Your manual should say to fill it up with 87 (or 89).

Filling it up with Supreme isn't necessary and will just clog shit up in your engine and fuel system.

It won't clog his engine. It would run just fine. However, he'd be throwing money away for no gain.

Generally speaking most people with a naturally aspirated motor should use 87. BUT, if you tend to drive your car hard and floor the pedal on occasion and you notice the car makes a pinging noise or hesitates a bit then you might be better off going with 89 or higher.

My Pilot only requires 87 but I have a heavy foot. And at least on Honda motors the pinging is definitely a lot more noticeable than it was on my DSM. I have a feeling the Subaru Al block is going to be more like the Honda block when it comes to audible pinging noises.

just to whore it up a little, i would def stay with the 87 octane.....

and don't let these jokesters around here fool you on the 87/93 octane debate; the soap suds in the (you don't have one) intercooler thread, or the whole muffler bearing deal....:cool:

i can however get you a sweet group buy on subie spec'ed blinker fluid, which is a vital part of maintaining your leggy.....;)

...and for the Pilot owner above I would get your knock sensor checked because that should not happen.

It's rare but it can happen even on a new knock sensor. Still, it only happened for an instant. The one time it was really noticeable is when I just filled up in NJ with the cheapest no-name gas right before Tacony Palmyra Bridge. And that was after running around with 93 octane for a while. The temps were a little cooler that day with around 60% humidity and I floored it for the first time since filling up. Obviously, the ECU figured it out eventually and compensated timing accordingly. I'm sure if I pulled the plugs with over 65k miles on them and looked for signs of pre-ignition it would be hard to spot. But they do seem a bit worn lately because the motor is missing on occasion and believe they are suppose to last up to 100k.

When you get use to driving a DSM on pump gas with 26-28 psi of boost on a daily basis constantly checking logs you start to get an idea of what conditions really stress the ECUs ability to compensate for bad tuning.

Archived