LegacyGT.com

Clouds of white smoke at idle (but only sometimes)

-Engine runs smooth and powerful

-No CEL

-No noticeable smoke when cruising

-No misfires/backfires

-70k miles on original engine and turbo

-Oil changed about 300 miles ago (Valvoline full synthetic)

However... occasionally (usually after highway driving), I will sit a stop light and then a large white cloud of smoke will envelop the back of the car like I just did a RWD burnout. (Smoke comes exclusively from the exhaust tips) Once I'm cruising again, no smoke. Also, this only happens some of the time.

For instance, I came home yesterday and smoked at the light outside my neighborhood. Once I pull into my driveway and get out to take a video, no smoke................

Has this occurred for anyone else? I'm thinking turbo seal, but not sure. It's very bizarre to me that it only happens occasionally, and not consistently.

We are talking about white smoke from the exhaust pipes right ?

Not out of the engine bay ? by the turbo or passenger side valve cover ?

What's it smell like, sweet ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Been going through the same thing. Very random, only at idle after driving awhile. and as with most car problems, I can't get it to happen when I want it to happen. One shop couldn't diagnose it because they couldn't replicate it. Got frustrated and took it into another shop,they diagnosed my turbo leaking oil at the halves and very likely leaking internally, causing the exhaust/smoke. They can't figure out why it only happens at idle. Nonetheless in for a new turbo.

I don't know about you but sometimes the smoke looked blueish, sometimes white, hard to pinpoint. and it's very hard to get out and start sniffing your exhaust when you're sitting at a stop light that turns green

Not really sure as to the correct color of the smoke... It looks like smoke? But it definitely does not smell like coolant by any stretch. I've smelled burning oil smoke from when my valve cover gasket was leaking, and this is similar to that, so I'd say oil. Looks like it'll be $1600 to replace turbo. Yikes... :(

Not really sure as to the correct color of the smoke... It looks like smoke? But it definitely does not smell like coolant by any stretch. I've smelled burning oil smoke from when my valve cover gasket was leaking, and this is similar to that, so I'd say oil. Looks like it'll be $1600 to replace turbo. Yikes... :(

Labor included?

Why don't you ask around the local forum, if there's a member close to you that can take a look at the car, and may do the work for a fee ?

What town do you live in ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Been there on a business trip back in the mid 1980's a few times, yes I remember the great BBQ.

Isn't Cobb there somewhere ?

I know Tony Palo, T1race dynamics is in Plano TX, He may be able to help. He's an old friend from the Honda day's.

Oh, ClimberD@HEXMODS is near there too.

Have you pulled off the DP to determine if oil is leaking inside turbo?

5 hrs to replace the turbo? :eek: It really shouldn't take more than 3hrs to swap the turbos.

My wife's balls are delicious.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/need-replace-turboi-thinking-options-226695.html

Here is a thread I just started trying to figure out my options, since it appears you are going through the same thing. I was quoted $1900, about $500 of that labor so i wouldnt say you got a bad quote. Im contemplating replacing myself also, and dont wanna spend $1200 on just a factory replacement either. Id say turbo replacement party but im north of Seattle so......

I would definitely go for a turbo replacement party... Maybe I'll do it myself. Not sure yet...

I did the headers/up/dp with a friend, but getting those parts to all squeeze together was very difficult. How hard is it to get the turbo out? I seem to remember leaving the turbo in, but it was a long time ago. I presume it's bolted down somehow. Is it as simple as taking the DP off, and unbolting from the engine and UP?

The DP & UP will need to come off. Disconnect the intake tube to turbo. Disconnect oil , coolant, and vacuum lines. There is a bracket underneath that may need loosening to pull the turbo out.

I would definitely go for a turbo replacement party... Maybe I'll do it myself. Not sure yet...

I did the headers/up/dp with a friend, but getting those parts to all squeeze together was very difficult. How hard is it to get the turbo out? I seem to remember leaving the turbo in, but it was a long time ago. I presume it's bolted down somehow. Is it as simple as taking the DP off, and unbolting from the engine and UP?

remove, heatshield, DP, remove oil and coolant lines, remove 3 nuts from the studs in the up pipe, inlet clamp, vacuum hoses, lift turbo.

replace the oil return hose too. My tip is to use bolts in place of the studs in the up pipe. I got those from the dealer, they are the same bolts that hold the up pipe bracket to the block.

some pictures in my click here link may help

Thanks! How long do you all think it would take to do? I have all the necessary tools and plenty of experience, just not the willpower (at the moment).

Does the UP need to be disconnected from the headers?

If this is your first time, it should take 3 - 5 hrs. Taking it out is the easy part, putting everything back in and getting it aligned is the time consuming part.

You might be able to lift it out while the DP is still bolted to the manifold. I believed I loosen the flange bolts at the manifold, so I had some wiggle room to slip the bolts out from the turbo.

I would also make sure your have new nut and bolts and anti-seize compound.

I think the heat shields may be in the way of the manifold to head bolts, I seem to recall that from my rebuild.

You may snap a bolt or two in the turbo heat shield, its not a big thing.

This is how my very expensive saga started, exactly. Clouds of light smoke billowing out at stoplights with no lights or driveability issues whatsoever, narrowed down to the turbo. It ended up being head work and lots of oil changes, CELs and sensor clogs. All I can say is: don't just replace that turbo. Flush the oil system. Flush it good. Flush it so good you can't imagine a single spec of anything at all being left in there that isn't oil, then flush it some more. Then put the new turbo on.

Archived