LegacyGT.com

Car had to be jumped!?

I woke up, it's about 1 degree out and my car wouldn't start. Turn the key and car makes a zapping noise and lights flicker. After a couple tries it went completely dead. I got a jump, got it started and now the ABS, BRAKE and traction control light are on. Battery is semi new. Any ideas why the battery drained and now lights stay on?

Dead cell in the battery (?) just guessing.

If the battery is that new, take it back and have it tested.

I'm guessing you cleaned the terminals when you installed the new battery ?

Are they tight ?

What brand of battery ? FWIW, I have had good performance out of my Maxx Everstart from Walmart for my 05 wagon.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sounds like the battery is toast. I had the same type of thing happen to me about a month ago.

The battery was supposedly new when I bought the car last January (so only a year old when this happened). I took the car to one of those self-spray car washes and when I went to leave I had the exact same behavior as you. Slight clicking from the starter, interior lights flickering, and no start. Had the car jumped and got the ABS light on the way home.

Brought the battery to the auto parts store for a test, and they said it had 0 percent life remaining and 39 cold cranking amps (~750 CCA rated). The battery had no signs of going out before this.

My thought is either I somehow shorted something at the car wash, the battery wasn't actually replaced by the dealer I bought it from, or it was just a faulty battery. I'm not a huge fan of coincidences, but I can't think of how I could have fried the battery at the car was (I did NOT power wash the engine bay - outside of car/undercarriage only).

New battery solved the ABS light issue, and all is well so far. Get you battery checked - my guess is it's bad. These car (as you may know) do strange things when the voltage is incorrect.

I'm guessing you cleaned the terminals when you installed the new battery ?

Are they tight ?

^THIS happens a lot especially when it's cold. The clamps at the battery terminals can get loose with time especially in these conditions. Then you get that behaviour you described. This happened to me twice.

Got the battery from advanced auto last February. Why would the battery die so fast? No one thinks it could be the alternator? Going back to advanced now to get the battery checked for free and hopefully under warranty. The cold really screws with this car and ironic it's suppose to be built for the snow:/

I had the no start situation with the pop and die on start attempt, after I changed my battery, loose positive terminal. (Group 35 Interstate) There's a plastic bit between the clamp, throw it away and it can be tightened further. It's why there's tools in the trunk, happened at a restaurant.

I've been told that battery life has a lot to do with how few impurities are in the electrolyte. So if its super clean and kept that way it'll last a long time.

I've noticed some batteries are made in China and shipped without electrolyte. I suspect this is done because of the greater expense of shipping the acid. The user, or shop, has to put the electrolyte into the battery. I helped my friend do this last year and underscored the importance of everything being totally clean before starting. I suspect others aren't so careful and the batteries die a premature death.

• 1 month later...

I just had the abs and traction control lights pop-up on mine while cruising down the highway. Battery has had no problems starting though even through the rough winter. Though when I had my tires put on they tested the battery and recommended a new one, said I'd replace it myself. Since then though I had it tested at both Autozone and O'Reilly and they both said the battery is good.

Any other common causes for the abs/traction light?

Archived